Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vista + Steam + BC2 -- how to see the ingame ping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista + Steam + BC2 -- how to see the ingame ping?

Ahoy,

I've heard that the magical fix for seeing the ping in BC2 is to run the game as an admin. The problem with this is that I've bought the game over Steam: so it's actually the Steam executable that I'm running as an admin, with an argument to launch BC2. That's a problem: for one, Steam whines that this oughtn't be done, and for two, some of my games are messed up when Steam is ran as admin. Namely, Deus Ex gets all wonky, settings wrong, graphics wrong, window size wrong, and a lot of other things wrong: I don't want to deal with that.

So -- is there a way to launch BC2 as admin in Vista without touching the Steam executable? Or do I really need to start Steam as an admin?

Re: Vista + Steam + BC2 -- how to see the ingame ping?

Create a destkop shortcut to BFBC2 from the Steam "My Games" list. That what you're looking for?

Comment

Find your Steam folder, then take a look at this:

It's Windows 7 but Vista should be the same..

EDIT: You can then run it as normal in Steam, you don't have to use any special shortcuts etc
      BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

C:\Program Files\Steam\common should have a folder for BC2, and a .exe for it should be there just like the retail, except the .exe has Steam stuff in it so Steam has to be running etc.

EDIT: PM beat me to it..

Comment

Or -

Comment

Originally posted by |3illY View Post
            Or -
            Not an answer to the original question..

Comment

Or -

I'm not sure that would work at all as the desktop shortcut gives Steam a command to run the game with the ID of xxxxxxx.

Comment

It's not a shortcut to the same file???

Comment

When you call up the ingame scoreboard, isn't the ping shown up next to each players name next to kill/deaths? Before I go in BC2 says that Tatical gamer #1 server ping is at 62 ms, but ingame it shows me as being at about 152. Just what is that showing?

Comment

It's not a shortcut to the same file???
                    No, it's a shortcut to launch the game through steam. But again, that's not what he asked for. :)

Originally posted by OldGunney View Post
                    When you call up the ingame scoreboard, isn't the ping shown up next to each players name next to kill/deaths? Before I go in BC2 says that Tatical gamer #1 server ping is at 62 ms, but ingame it shows me as being at about 152. Just what is that showing?
                    I'm not sure it's reporting correctly/accurate.. Bit like everything in this game. Don't trust it. :p

Comment

The ping monitor in the scoreboard seems pretty accurate (for me anyway) Last night I was experiencing some major lag issues that were on my end and the ping monitor was accurate with a 999ms during the spikes
                      |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

Thanks to PM and Delta. Billy, read up the OP, bro.
                        Gunney -- the "ping" beside your name is actually the round trip time, that is, the time it takes to send information and receive it back from the server. Divide it by 2 and you've got your ping.

Comment

Zho is right. Ping is something Dice have this listed as somethiong they are going to fix:

Ping in-game differs from real ping (usually 50-100ms difference): This is due to round-trip latency for an in game packet.
                          Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
                          The ping monitor in the scoreboard seems pretty accurate (for me anyway) Last night I was experiencing some major lag issues that were on my end and the ping monitor was accurate with a 999ms during the spikes
                          So at best, you might have only had a ping of 499? :)

Comment

Wait how do you see ping? I've never been able to monitor my own ping :(

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                              Wait how do you see ping? I've never been able to monitor my own ping :(
                              If you don't have any problems in game, then it really doesn't matter. What ping do you want to see?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...