This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOWTO: Set up a whisper list in TS3

I haven't found a guide to doing this and in pre-scrim conversations, people still seem unsure about the process, so here goes.

1. In TeamSpeak, click on Settings, then Options (or just the Alt-P shortcut)
    2. In the Options dialogue, click on Whisper Lists. You should see a blank box if you haven't previously created a whisper list.
    3. Drag names from the TS channel listing into the blank box to create your whisper list.

4. Congratulations; you now have Badger on your whisper list! When you press your whisper key (see next step), only the people in the whisper list will hear you.
    5. Assign a key binding to your whisper list. For sanity reasons, do NOT make this the same key as your push-to-talk key in TS. (TS will warn you of the overlap but not actually prevent you from doing this). For reference purposes, I've bound one of the side buttons on my Logitech G9 to the whisper list.
    Note: Because in-game VOIP has a tendency to briefly work at unexpected moments, I recommend either removing the in-game binding for the VOIP or not using the "v" key binding for either TS or whisper list push-to-talk.

6. Click "OK" to get rid of the dialogue. You're done!

The main purse of whisper lists as far as I'm concerned is to duplicate the in-game VOIP functionality until DICE gets around to fixing it. This means you can actually ask your squadmates for a revive without overwhelming the main TS channel with noise.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: HOWTO: Set up a whisper list in TS3

This would work perfectly(nice instructions BTW), the problem is getting everyone on-board with it. As it is it's tough to get people to join the team channel or even TS in the first place. It also requires people to first get in a squad and then go back in to TS to configure it to the people in their squad. On top of that you'd have to adjust the list regularly as squad members come and go, instead of just being in a Bravo sub-channel for instance. I'm not saying it wont work, it could, I don't have a problem alt-tabbing, it just may be more trouble than most want to deal with.

Comment

Harlequin, you're absolutely right in that it's too much of a pain to do on a constant basis. I've posted these specifically with today's scrim in mind. Of course, this is most effective when squads do not change over the long term (though I remember some talk about setting up a script that would automate this).

That said, separating the team into individual squad sub-channels would lose far more in teamwork and team communications than it would gain.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

Comment

This should be a sticky in the main forums 0.o

Nice write up, I had no idea how to do this and I'll definately try in the future

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
        "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

Let's make this standard operating procedure!

In game, once you get your squadmates on whisper, make sure you let them know.. something along these lines works: "cheb, harle, and blind - I've got you on whisper, you copy?"

Comment

Just used the whisper list tonight for the first time. It is extremely easy to setup, use, and takes mere seconds to make changes. If you ain't whispering, you're wrong.

Comment

Yes it is really simple and effective. The only problem is alt-tabbing, on my winxp machine the game is frozen for ten seconds when I alt-tab back from TS.
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X