Helicopter Agility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Agility

Can anyone that flies the Choppers alot give me any insight into how I can make the chopper more agile. When I fly, the chopper seems very slow, like trying to fly a "brick".

Thanks,

Re: Helicopter Agility

Your best bet is to find an empty server and practice flying the helicopters. Both attack helicopters and the UAV are on Conquest Atacama Desert. Rush Isla Inocentes has two Blackhawks available at the first American base (so if you crash, you won't have to wait). I'd also recommend you find a server that's not on hardcore--bailing out is a little less time-consuming if you mess up and you can keep better track of when the helicopters are available again if you crash.

I would recommend going in this order:
    1) Havoc (the Russian attack helicopter) -- Has the most user-friendly maneuvering, at least in my opinion.
    2) Apache (American attack helicopter) -- Is the most twitchy and hardest to aim, however, if you learn the Havoc well enough, you should be able to get the hang of it pretty quickly.
    3) Blackhawk -- Slowest and most technical to use and maximize its value.

I would recommend you concentrate on flying and get used to nuances like sharp turns and strafing, as well as low sweeps along the ground before you do anything with gunnery. After that, practice shooting on the vehicles spread around the map, trying to reduce the amount of shots you miss.

After that, just try to learn the maps so you know where all the danger zones are, namely AA turrets and sneaky AT launch spots.

Comment

What the person above me said, find an empty server and practice. However I would say that you should try out the BalckHawk first. Learn how it flys, learn every littel movement you can make, for example - moving mouse left and pressing D to go right and visa versa, or bringing the mouse down and pressing W to give lift. Learning all the various ways to fly the heli before attempting to aim the gun would be better IMO. Plus if yo can fly a Blackhawk you can fly jst above anything.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
      "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I don't have any problem flying the chopper....I know how to do that.

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to make it more agile....ie sensitivity settings, using keys instead of mouse....and so on.

I've seen others flying the choppers and the chopper is very agile.....when I fly it seems to be very slow and unresponsive.

Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

You might need to increase your mouse sensitivity or use the in game mouse acceleration option, but even then you would need to practice to get used to ti.

My only question is how do I invert the mouse? The vertical invert for flying in game doesn't seem to do anything and I want pulling back the mouse to be looking up, I just can't handle the other way after all these years.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The checkbox for flying vertical invert should invert it for you, so that's kind of strange, since I know it works for me. Do you have your stuff set to Read-Only, maybe?

I agree with you that I can't fly it any other way but the stupid UAV, which controls completely differently, shares the same vertical inversion as the helicopters....

Comment

Fresh install so it shouldn't be read only. I am reading it correctly that if the box is checked the vertical movement should be inverted for choppers, right?
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Yeah. It'd be easiest if you test it with the UAV in an empty server. If it's set to not be inverted (box unchecked), then the UAV should be identical to aiming your soldier's gun. If it's inverted, then it should, well, be inverted.

Comment

Flying the attack choppers do indeed feel like flying a brick. Especailly doing a 180 turn takes ages, and when you have an angry tank shooting at you this is not so good.

Maybe its because I fly with keyboard only, but I simply cant fly with a mouse, and for some reason BC2 decided to invert the rudder and not letting me bind thrust on my joystick (left is right, right is left) for no apparant reason.

Comment

One tactic I have found for turning a 180 the attack helicopters, if you are using mouse control with a + d for yaw, is to move your mouse in the direction of the turn you want to make, as far as you can move it, then yaw in the same direction and also pull back slightly. I think. I spent hours on atacama yesterday trying to get the flaming Apache to fly well, took me forever to work out a good set of techniques.

Comment

I loved the BF2 chopper.....sure do miss it
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

This is how it works for me (I think):

Box unchecked = Only helos are inverted, everything else is non-inverted, just the way I want it.
                        Box check = Helo is non-inverted, but everything else is making everything else unusable for me.

I could have the checks reversed but either way I can't get non-inverted everything including choppers. That's why I don't fly in this game.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Amen! to that. The choppers in BF2 are so much more agile. I really enjoyed flying them.

Comment

Jebus.

Fly with a joystick.

Apache is your most agile chopper. You can dodge enemy fire a lot easier with the apache.

Havoc is like flying a bus. That's just something you have to get use to.

Blackhawk, why bother? It's a transport. Drop your guys off and provide spawn until you get shot down.

Turning around? Never turn around. Fly backwards. It takes too long to turn around when you can just crank your joystick back and right or back and left. The enemy will never hit you. 1 in 100 shots will hit you when doing this. You can fly backwards, land and repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Tllyx View Post
                              Jebus.

Fly with a joystick.

Apache is your most agile chopper. You can dodge enemy fire a lot easier with the apache.

Havoc is like flying a bus. That's just something you have to get use to.

Blackhawk, why bother? It's a transport. Drop your guys off and provide spawn until you get shot down.

Turning around? Never turn around. Fly backwards. It takes too long to turn around when you can just crank your joystick back and right or back and left. The enemy will never hit you. 1 in 100 shots will hit you when doing this. You can fly backwards, land and repair.
                              Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X