Overclocking and BC2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking and BC2

I am not sure if this sould be in the hardware forum, but this issue is specific to BC2.

I have been overclocking my system, but find that BC2 crashes with great regularity within 30 minutes or less, when played on OC settings (see here for details).

I found this in another forum:
    "BFBC2 is a heavy hitting game One 5870 is still going to hurt really bad with just 4x AA. I'm running 5770x2 (basically the same as one 5870) and both 5770s are at 90-100% load all the time and the main card is 90 degrees while BFBC2 is running 3D, and I don't even have all the settings cranked up. I normally overclock but I can only run this game at stock because it crashes in 10-20 minutes if I OC."

BC2 runs fine at stock BIOS settings, but not when OCed. There is some indication in various forums that others have similar problems, but I cannot as yet say how widespread is the issue.

I am not yet certain that my new BIOS settings are stable (will run some of the standard tests tomorrow).

I am a tad disappointed to find that I cannot play BC2 will all settings on high (and record in Fraps at 60 fps).

I will continue to fiddle with OC settings, but I also wonder to what extent a second Radeon 5870 would make a difference in graphic capabilities vis a vis BC2.

EDIT:

It is most likely my OCing problems with BC2 are due to problems with the OC, as is suggested here:
    "For some reason BC2 doesnt like overclocking and past 3.10ghz (stable) ill still get BSOD's/CTD's/Freezes while playing BC2.

It's just trial and error with this game, find the right clock where it wont crash but gives enough performance to become playable."
    Last edited by E-Male; 09-13-2010, 12:21 AM.
    sigpic

Re: Overclocking and BC2

have you tried other intesive games to see if it is indeed a BC2 issue? I would love to see your rig run Arma2 OA and here the results!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Can I have a rundown on basic specs for your computer? GPU, CPU, RAM, and any other heavy performance-impacters would be useful.

I run full high settings @ 4xMSAA, with a single 5870 on standard clock settings, and I commonly run in the 70+ range. Personally, I've found that overclocking your CPU has a much higher impact on performance in BC2 than overclocking your GPU.
      Semper Fi, Marines.

Comment

I have been experiencing similar regular crashes. Last night i played 3 rounds on TG server mixed mode and crashed each time. I know its not only me, VooDooIT and Unload have same problem. When i switched servers i played in =E= server and 7Samurai server 3 rounds with out any problems. I think there is a problem with TG server as well.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PL_OSTRY View Post
          I have been experiencing similar regular crashes. Last night i played 3 rounds on TG server mixed mode and crashed each time. I know its not only me, VooDooIT and Unload have same problem. When i switched servers i played in =E= server and 7Samurai server 3 rounds with out any problems. I think there is a problem with TG server as well.
          I have great suspicion that it may be server related -- but can problems at the TG server lead to a frozen BC2 screen (and a frozen cpu in need of reboot)?

Before I do anything else I'll run BC2 on high at other servers today for a an hour an see if there are any crashes.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daishi2442 View Post
            Can I have a rundown on basic specs for your computer? GPU, CPU, RAM, and any other heavy performance-impacters would be useful.
            Reposted from the Hardware forum:

Final Settings for 4Ghz Stable and Cool:

I found these settings for a system like mine here.

So for my Rampage III Extreme, i7 Core 930, 6g Patriot Viper PC3-16000 2000MHZ ram, cooled by the Corsair H50, here are the BIOS settings I am now running.

These settings are stable, render 4009.16 MHZ at 44C and temps stay under 65C during peak gaming load (I'll have to double chck this last temp, in BC2 with Fraps recording). To ensure longer life of the Core, I have these settings in a BIOS profile, boot up with them on to play, then return to stock settings for normal use.

Note that I do NOT know how to change DRAM Timing Controls. The MOB automatically renders the DRAM timings as 7-7-7-20 BUT my ram is rated as 9-9-9-27 out of the box. I do not know the significance or consequences of having my RAM Timings at 7-7-7-20 but all appears stable (although I have not run RAM Memory tests).

JumperFree Configuration Settings
            AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
            CPU Ratio Setting: 20X
            Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
            Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
            BLCK Frequency: 200
            PCIE Frequency: 100
            DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1603MHz
            UCLK Frequency: 3208MHz
            QPI Link Data Rate: 7218MT/s

CPU Voltage: 1.30000
            CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88
            QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
            IOH Voltage: Auto
            IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
            ICH Voltage: Auto
            ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
            DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
            CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
            CPU Clock
            Skew: Auto
            CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
            IOH Clock Skew : Auto
            PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advance CPU Settings
            CPU Ratio Setting: 20X
            C1E Suppport: Disabled
            Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
            Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
            Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
            CPU TM Function: Disabled
            Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
            Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
            Active Processor Cores: All
            A20M: Disabled
            Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
            Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
            Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Disabled
            sigpic

Comment

I don't crash on a regular basis but managed to crash 3 times yesterday all 3 times I was on the TG server..
              Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Well,

an hour on an non-TG server, with settings on high and 8X, with avg core temp at 60C and 71C highest, and NO CPU FREEZING, no crashes.

This confirms my experince the past two weeks.

My overclocked system does not crash on other servers, but will often see the screen freeze, leading to a reboot, when playing BC2 overclocked on TG.

I know absolutely nothing of game servers, but the above seems to be to be very clear. The primary TG BC2 server is not functional for OCed play (at least in my instance).

Is anyone else have the same issues on TG's BC2 server while playling overclocked?

Should I report this to the Admins (asch?)?
                sigpic

Comment

If it makes any of you guys feel better, I don't OC and I have not had crash issues with the TG server.

Comment

Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
                    If it makes any of you guys feel better, I don't OC and I have not had crash issues with the TG server.
                    Indeed, as I said above, I do NOT have any problems on the TG servers in non-OCed mode of play (stock BIOS settings).

What I would like to determine is if others are having the same issue as me (the game screen freezing, cpu freezes, reboot is necessary, after 10 to 30 minutes of play), either WHILE overclocked or otherwise.
                    Last edited by E-Male; 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Update:

Played extensively tonight on 4Ghz OC settings used before, with same tools running (fraps, TS, and so on) and not one system freeze.

Thinking over the comments, the other night when I had the screen freeze, others also experienced problems (crashes).

This suggests I need to track the occurence of any future TG BC2 freezes against others crashing on the same night.

Perhaps we are having different manifestations of the same intermittent server issue...

I will make a point of keeping the OC'ed BIOS settings exactly as they are and report on any further issues, and see if it correlates to others having server-related crashes on the same night.
                      sigpic

Comment

I also experience crashing. My pc is only slightly OC'ed from 3.0 to 3.5 and i run cool and no other games crash. RAM is on auto timings and frequency. Screen freezes, and sound loops and i have to restart. I clocked down to 3.2 and we shall see. This happens in any server and is very annoying. It didn't even used to happen when the game first came out. 9800 GT with intel processor that's a few yrs old

Comment

I am running OC on the last set of settings above for two months now. BC2 has long stopped crashing -- I think it was a server side issue.

My main concern now is the core temp when playing BC2, which is 65 to 70C. Keeping in mind that when NOT running BC2 and Fraps, the core is fine at 45 to 50C and lower again when just mucking about, is this temp of 65 to 70C for gaming too high?
                          sigpic

Comment

It depends on what rig you have.. It's always better to try and get it down tho. I would try and get it down. I don't want anything in my PC to get over 50 at anytime.

Buy some Arctic silver and slap on there and check the airflow.. If you have the Thermal paste they send with the CPU you can lower it with 10 degrees right there..
                            Nubhar

- In the process, I have discovered that I can make iron bolts with my butt****.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                              ... is this temp of 65 to 70C for gaming too high?
                              I'm not sure about ATI cards, but I have done some research on my eVGA GTX 275's temps and have found that they can apparently handle temps up to roughly 100C. Running BC2 at max settings, my card generally stays around 70C-80C. And that is after applying my buddy, Artic Silver 5 thermal compound. For reference, my system spec's follow:

ASUS M3N72-D w/nVidia's 750a SLI chipset
                              AMD Phenom II 955 OC'd to 3.45Ghz (stock clock speed is 3.20Ghz iirc (stock CPU cooler)
                              6GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM DDR2 800Mhz, 1.95V 4-4-4-12 (stock timings)
                              Some no-name brand PSU rated at 550W
                              CoolerMaster Elite Case with one 120MM exhaust fan

With your GPU temps that you have reported, I wouldn't worry overmuch. But, I would do some research to find out what the top end temp is before becoming content. From what I have read (for nVidia cards, not sure if it applies to ATI), the cards have been designed to handle high temps without "frying". But, the higher the temp and the longer it is run at a high temp can shorten the lifespan of the GPU.

Also, I am suprised that you are able to run your system in a stable condition with your RAM timings so much faster than the factory recommended settings, without applying extra voltage.

As far as the crashing of your system on the TG server, I have no idea. I just wanted to offer my experiences with hardware. I hope you get everything worked out. Good luck!

MK the ex-tech

***edit***

Re-reading this thread, I have found that I am not sure if the temps you are talking about are for your CPU or GPU. My post concerns your GPU. If you were speaking of your CPU temps, then I will be of no help as I run only AMD processors.
                              Last edited by Mindkill; 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM. Reason: Added last sentance

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X