Computer question here.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer question here.

After looking at the min. requirements for this game I'm not sure how smooth it will play for me. I haven't updated for a couple years and only bought good enough to get by with at the time. Anyone think that my system will run it well enough?

CPU- Intel Pentium e2180
    GPU- GeForce 9600 GT Superclocked
    MB- Gigabyte S-series GA-P35-DS3L
    memory- 2 gigs DDR2

Thanks for any input.

Size

Re: Computer question here.

Minimum Requirements:

◦OS: Windows Vista/XP/7
    ◦Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better
    ◦Memory: 2GB
    ◦HDD: 12GB
    ◦Video: Shader 3.0 or better 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT/ATI Radeon X1950Pro or better
    ◦Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
    ◦DirectX: 9.0c

It looks like you will need to upgrade your CPU (and possibly your GPU). I have seen an Intel Core2 Duo E7500 for $125. (AMD quad-core processors go for under $80) and have seen an eVGA GTX 460 for under $170

Looking at your motherboard, you should be able to use the Intel CPU and the graphics card, easily. I would also recommend getting at least another 2GB of RAM.

Be sure to check out the prices at www.newegg.com and/or www.tigerdirect.com

p.s. I included the graphics card in there mainly because, as I understand it, the 9xxx series of cards are just rebranded 8800 Series cards and, it never hurts to have a beast of a graphics card.

sigpic

Comment

Agreed. Same thing I was thinking. My card seems to be pretty good being that, with maxxed visuals (in COD 4 and 5), it still ran smoothly around 60-70 fps. I guess I'll try the game first and then go from there if it's rough or unplayable. I'm gonna preorder the game from steam this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Size12point5 View Post
        Agreed. Same thing I was thinking. My card seems to be pretty good being that, with maxxed visuals (in COD 4 and 5), it still ran smoothly around 60-70 fps. I guess I'll try the game first and then go from there if it's rough or unplayable. I'm gonna preorder the game from steam this week.
        If those games ran that well with your computer, I don't think you will have problems with this game 'cause they really haven't upgraded engine that much
        sigpic
        Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

The recent COD games seem to be well optimized considering how good they look. What resolution are you playing at, that will make a difference. I wouldn't spend any money until you try the game out but mindkills recomendations would be a good route if your PSU can handle it?

Comment

I was running it at 1024 I believe. When I played last friday, it was at a constant 100 fps unless there was a lot of smoke and nades then it cut down to 60 or so. I'll just order it from steam and see how it plays first. I'm kinda tapped on funds, just like the rest of us. Thanks for the replies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Size12point5 View Post
              I was running it at 1024 I believe. When I played last friday, it was at a constant 100 fps unless there was a lot of smoke and nades then it cut down to 60 or so. I'll just order it from steam and see how it plays first. I'm kinda tapped on funds, just like the rest of us. Thanks for the replies!!
              Yeah, that resolution isn't going to be taxing on your car for the most part (just going on theory). Eventually though you will get to a point where old cards just can't handle the newest games at any resolution, I don't think you're there yet.

Comment

Holy cow, that's some pretty hefty requirements. I've got an Athlon X2 5000! Hope it runs okay :/

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
                  Holy cow, that's some pretty hefty requirements. I've got an Athlon X2 5000! Hope it runs okay :/
                  Don't worry. COD games have never required so much from CPU than they require from GPU.
                  sigpic
                  Programming today is race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, Universe is winning.

Comment

Wow after reading your posts Im so glad I bought a new computer this year ! God willing I will see you guys on the server Nov 9 th. 9 pm est.

Comment

Okay, it's completely unplayable. You'd think my CPU, which is about 30% slower than the minimum requirements, would be compensated for by my vid card, which is 100% faster than the minimum requirements, but I guess not :(

Anyway, considering buying this stuff:
                      ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
                      AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX
                      G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL

Any opinions? It's been a long time since I got new hardware that isn't a video card. Don't know if it's still a good idea to use 2x2GB instead of 1x4GB RAM :)

[Spartan 9]

Comment

I don't have any experience with ECS's products, so I won't comment on the motherboard except to say that I have heard some good things about them.

For the CPU, if you can swing it, cash-wise, I would opt for the quad-core. Just for the fact that it will be relevant for a slightly longer period of time. (ie. you won't have to upgrade again so soon)

I think the major concern with 4x1GB sticks vs 2x2GB sticks is more about being able to add more RAM at a later date. Most motherboards have 4 RAM slots so, if you use 4x1GB sticks, you have no room for more RAM. Whereas with 2x2GB sticks, you would have space for 2 more sticks of RAM. As far as I can remember, there is no (or not much) difference in performance between the two.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your input. I just went for the Athlon II anyway. I don't do much with my PC that would make great use out of a fourth core, plus this gives me a more effective upgrade path in the future, if needed.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

definitely opt for 2x2GB over 4x1GB. aside from the obvious limitations in upgrading your memory in the future, occasionally motherboards just don't like having all four slots occupied.
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Just so you know, I was considering 1x4GB, not 4x1GB (because I was originally looking at another motherboard that had only two ram slots, and wanted to be able to add more later). Anyway, I realised this board had four slots, so I opted for the 2x2GB. Thanks!

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X