Ranked servers max at 9v9?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranked servers max at 9v9?

I've been hearing that the max players for a ranked server on PC is 9v9... increasing past this point unranks the server. Is this true? It sure seems like another huge step backward.

*edit*
    24 Player Max (Unranked), 18 Player Max (Ranked)

Yep it is locked that way, not touching this one unless its free.

Re: Ranked servers max at 9v9?

9v9 actually works really well for TG style play. We have a great time on CoD4 with 6v6 or 8v8. Adding a couple more players doesn't add that much to the game for me.

Comment

The size of maps in COD games don't lend themselves to large player caps. 9v9 was great for most maps in COD4/MW2 and looks like it will be same in BO.

Comment

The number of players on PC is one of many reasons I much preferred previous CoDs on console, they're just not designed for 15v15 or more, just turned into chaos. They always seemed optimised for the console norm of 6v6.
        Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

While I disagree with them locking things down like this, 9v9 in COD does work well for the size of the maps.

Comment

'works well'... well IMHO that's a cop-out, the designers just made 'less' of a MP game that worked with 'less' people. No going to pay a premium for 'less'.

Comment

Huh? That's the way COD has always been. This isn't Battlefield with huge battles on large maps. 9v9 max is perfect for this game. Any more players and it's just a clusterf***. Call of Duty is all about infantry battles. Yeah the maps aren't going to be huge. The devs said most of the maps are medium sized, with a couple larger ones and 1 or 2 smaller ones, like Nuketown.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach10 View Post
                'works well'... well IMHO that's a cop-out, the designers just made 'less' of a MP game that worked with 'less' people. No going to pay a premium for 'less'.
                I guess by that logic they should charge $5 for all single player games and charge $200 for 128-player games? OK...

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                  Huh? That's the way COD has always been. This isn't Battlefield with huge battles on large maps.
                  Smaller maps that BF, yes that I'll freely admit.. but always been? No. CoD did start as a 32 player game with larger maps and none of this 'maximum players' for ranking BS. I suppose I just don't eat the company line that is being fed lately. Smaller maps, fewer players... extra cost.

Comment

I don't see how you think having 32 players on any COD map could be satisfying.

Comment

How could I think that? I'm not blinded by this whole idea of tactical non-sense that seems to have quite a few people blinded. Unless you have the whole server TG, you will never achieve your dream of a tactical game play. Additionally when you do get a full server of only TG, fewer and fewer people will come back each night due to the lack of fun they have (BC2/MoH as examples). If you so badly want your tactical game play undead, why not just join the military?

I don't see how you get taken by Activision hook line and sinker each and every time. Same game (with fewer options and players), different skins and a few different weapons for a higher cost each time. Lets not forget the 2-3 "map packs" that will come along. I just can't understand how that is satisfying.

Comment

Ah but this is what TG is all about. Team work and tactical play. The BF series is an example of alot of people playing on large maps and it is tactical and has alot of team work. I have been here since the beginning of the COD series and I can tell you that the game was designed for tactical minded players. If you want run and gun there are many servers out there that cater to that type of play. Here it is more about teamwork and tactics. If you read our primer and all the post of what TG is about you will see that.

But this discussion should have it's own thread.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

How could I think that? I'm not blinded by this whole idea of tactical non-sense that seems to have quite a few people blinded. Unless you have the whole server TG, you will never achieve your dream of a tactical game play. Additionally when you do get a full server of only TG, fewer and fewer people will come back each night due to the lack of fun they have (BC2/MoH as examples). If you so badly want your tactical game play undead, why not just join the military?

I don't see how you get taken by Activision hook line and sinker each and every time. Same game (with fewer options and players), different skins and a few different weapons for a higher cost each time. Lets not forget the 2-3 "map packs" that will come along. I just can't understand how that is satisfying.
                          Well not sure where to start but this whole "pipe dream" of tactical play is a reality around here. TG has taken several titles and and sucesfully run tactical game play servers for years. TG has a great group of people (admins, game officers etc. ) trying very hard to make tactical gameplay a reality. However the ever growing player base is also why it is sucesfull dispite game developers working towards faster pace games. The regular TG players are infectus (not in a bad way :row1_26: ). I have seen countless times people join a TG server and really enjoy the tactical game play and say things like "I'm coming back to your server tomorrow" or "I'm adding this to my favourites" etc. Couple that with the fact that the level of maturity is typically higher on TG servers makes for a great gaming environment and is conducive to tacital play IMO.

I have been on servers full to the brim with TG players and it's really fun. Tactical, but still very fun. So much so that the few non-tg'ers that manage to get in love it. No it's not for everyone but then there are countless other servers out there that are less strict and less focused on tactics which will suit those players.

You are right about Activision, they have got themselves a cash cow with the COD series and pump out mild re-hashes about every 8 months and charge to much for map packs. That is the reality we live in and it's a personal choice to spend your money how you see fit.

I'm not sure how long you have been around TG servers but assuming it's only been a short while I think that you may just need to be in game a little more often to see all the great game play and good people. Perhaps that will illustrate my points or confirm I'm an idiot, take your pick :row__638:

Oh and the "join the military thing" I think half the guys here are inlisted or former members of the armed forces. The rest of us are armchair soldiers. Cheers.

Comment

Why do you even spend an instant of your time worrying how folks choose to spend their time and money. If you don't like the game, vote with your dollars and don't get it. Even with all the launch day problems and issues, for me, this is a fun game.

Please remember that showing mutual respect towards your fellow gamers is part of our TG code. We don't put folks down because they have different playstyles or gaming preferences.

Comment

So don't play it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...