Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Review

From The Guardian, a very positive review of the game:

"It's similar to the Modern Warfare titles in that it actually boils down to a classic manhunt in the end, but while some elements get lost in the rush, this is easily the most cogent and well-constructed story we've seen from this franchise in a number of years."

"operating within the constraints of the series, Black Ops is a master work"

"Enemy AI is decent, too, especially the Russian spec-ops forces who roll and leap around the screen like circus athletes but circus athletes with semi-automatic rifles. If they get close enough, they'll rush at you with savage speed and purpose, a rare behaviour for computer-controlled fighters and a welcome respite from the usual peeking-out-from-behind-cover behaviours."

I'll buy this game next paycheck . . .
    sigpic

Re: Game Review

Metacritic collates all reviews from pretty much everywhere and gives out a mean score, plus links back to each review featured, if you're interested.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
      I'll buy this game next paycheck . . .
      I would wait until they fix the bandwidth issues and the lag.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
        Metacritic collates all reviews from pretty much everywhere and gives out a mean score, plus links back to each review featured, if you're interested.
        Thanks. Metacritic renders a score of 90 for BO, and a score of 96 for BioShock.

BTW, I am just about finished playing BioShock, and aside from the interesting architecture, this game is one of the most boring and unimaginative video games that I have encountered in over 30 years of gaming.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
          I doubt that I will play the online version -- sounds and looks like a pure run and gun fest with little room for tactical movement or mature team play.
          sigpic

Comment

BTW, I am just about finished playing BioShock, and aside from the interesting architecture, this game is one of the most boring and unimaginative video games that I have encountered in over 30 years of gaming.
            I have to agree. Although the setting was fantastic, the rest of the game couldn't hold my attention for more than a couple of hours. Probably one of the only games I've ever bought and not finished. Not quite sure what the big deal with it is. [/derail]

Comment

Originally posted by SharinganTH1422 View Post
              I have to agree. Although the setting was fantastic, the rest of the game couldn't hold my attention for more than a couple of hours. Probably one of the only games I've ever bought and not finished. Not quite sure what the big deal with it is. [/derail]
              Have to keep in mind that it does not take much to entertain the masses . . .
              sigpic

Comment

Just surprised how some really great games go unappreciated. Mirror's Edge got massively mixed reviews, and it wasn't technically perfect but it's the first game of it's type and, for me, the visuals, music and gameplay were all ground-breaking stuff for a video game IMO.

Comment

I doubt that I will play the online version -- sounds and looks like a pure run and gun fest with little room for tactical movement or mature team play.
                  As most of the populace plays it, yes, but you should give it a shot with TG. It's a good group of guys who like tactical team play...and are usually mature.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

I just finished downloading and was able to get a few multiplayer games in. Unfortunately, I'm playing on my University's wireless network, which is total crap. Combined with the bandwith and lag issues that already exist, and it made for a very difficult few rounds. But other than that, the game seemed alright. The prone diving needs a fix, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtoups View Post
                      The prone diving needs a fix, though.
                      I been saying that since before it was released and everyone called me crazy. :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hey E-male, here's a review specifically covering MP mode(s). There are various options unique to this release that tactical players may enjoy and actually reduce the run-n-gun swarm from flag to flag.

I choose to defend one of these locations by myself, but know it will be challenging with no one watching my back.

This is where the Camera Spike comes in. After planting the camera near a set of stairs, I slip into a tunnel to prevent underground access. With the camera's view sitting at the corner of the screen, I spot an enemy glowing white hot as he makes his way down the stairs to try and capture the zone. Not this time.

Here's another new and interesting feature:

The matches are very fun, and seem best suited to Call of Duty veterans. "One in the Chamber" is quite challenging, as players only use a handgun with one bullet and a knife. "Sharpshooter" is the most entertaining, as players battle with weapons that change every 45 seconds.

The Sharpshooter mode sounds very cool as it forces players to use a variety of weapons, rather than the full time single minded kit players, snipers for example, that can plague, imbalance and even frustrate a player or team.

Of course, actual game-play and perception varies from the reviews to each home user, so opinions may very. Some people constantly bash and complain about BC2, yet play it every night - go figure!

I quit playing COD after it turned from the epic WWII genre to (disappointing) Modern Warfare. However, after dismissing Medal of Honor after a disappointing Beta testing only to find the final release to be VERY good (thanks to my sq. mate Bear for the recommendation), I thought I'd give this new COD a whirl. I'll also hold back my opinion for a while as it's still so new.

:icon_frow
                        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                          There is no reason to wait..... this will be fixed soon enough and it's not really that bad for all players. I know a few who have older boxes and need upgrades are having some issue with FPS too.
                          "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
                          "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

Metacritic renders a score of 90 for BO
                            It's important to note though that score is based on only 10 critics reviews, while out of currently 45 user reviews on Metacritic, it's got a score of 4.5 out of 10. However, that is because most people treat a 10 point scale like a 2 point one, if they like it, it gets a 10, if they don't, a zero.

I'm still on the fence based on what I've seen and heard, I had my mouse pointer on the purchase button, but chickened out at the last second.

Comment

I would not advise spending $60.00 just for the single-player game, you gotta go all the way, to really make it worth the purchase.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X