Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ongoing Tech Issues - updated 11/12/10

Update - 11/12/10

Server 2 is online and running fine. Current rotation is Hardcore S&D.

Update - 11/12/10

How to find the TG servers - In the last 24 hours patches have gone out to the servers, the RCON tool and the game clients. Someone said they had 7000 servers come up so hopefully folks should be able to find our servers in the browser now. If not, revert to using the friends list method. The commands /connect and /reconnect still do not work with BO.

Reserved SM slots - We're looking into whether an SM script can be run on the server. I'll update when I have more info. The game comes with 5 reserve slots built in. They aren't configured in a way that we can use them fairly. For now, ask an admin via Teamspeak to make room for you.

Lag - Client and server side patches went out to everybody and the maxRate change from 5000 to 25000 is supposedly fully implemented across all servers. Server 2 was unplayable this morning when I tried it. Server 1 is much better than yesterday. I'll see whats to be done to fix server 2.

Playlists - We still cannot create a persistent map rotation on a ranked server. Server 1 is vanilla mixed mode and server 2 HC S&D for now but as stated in the lag comments above, we probably still cannot play on it. There will be a poll about Server 2 settings posted later today so we can get an initial read on what the community would like see for a rotation.

Rcon connectivity - A new RCON client was released and we can now communicate with TG server 2. Users should uninstall the old version and then install the new one. You can do both via Steam.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************

The Issues - Before 11/12/10 update

How to find the TG servers - The master servers are overloaded and query returns are being throttled by Acti to keep it from crashing entirely. You are only being shown a small portion of the available servers in your browser. Chances are, you won't see either of the TG servers. For now, you will have to ask a friend that is on the server to send you an invite. Oy vey. "They" are aware of this and working on a fix.

Favorites - There is no way to manually add a favorite via IP. You have to be in the server and add it via the menu or see it in the browser and add it from there. Even if you add a server to your favorites it's no guarantee you will see it in your browsers Favorites tab. The Recent tab is also a bit dodgy when it comes to keeping track of past connections.

/connect and /reconnect - These commands do not work with BO

Slots - There is no SM script runnning. I am looking into whether it can be set up. For now, if you are an SM, ask an admin to make room for you.

Lag - Gameservers claims it's not their hardware. Some folks have posited that it's a simple Dvar command that needs to be changed (which we don't have access to). Could just be day 1 cloggage. We'll keep a close eye on this.

Playlists - We cannot create a persistent map rotation. If the server restarts the gametype defaults back to TDM. An admin has to then pick a playlist. At this time, the only mixed mode rotation is the "Team Tactical" playlist. It normally includes TDM but the devs were kind enough let us exclude maps and gametypes but not kind enough to let us add them. The rest of the playlists are three flavors each of the individual gametypes - Barebones, Hardcore, or normal.

Rcon connectivity - We have not been able to communicate at all with TG server 2 via Rcon since launch therefore it is running straight up default TDM. Rcon is what the admins use to communicate with the server and adjust settings and kick evil bunny hoppers. The Dev built Rcon tool is not able to connect to all servers for some reason. Acti/Trey/GS are aware of this.
    Last edited by P.Drona; 11-13-2010, 04:08 PM.

Re: Day 2 - Let's see what we got.

Keep up the good work. This explains why I couldn't find any TG servers last night. I tried to find them over a few hours and never saw them. The lag is bad across all the servers I played and seemed to affect all players equally. One issue I found was the map Nuketown. If there is a way to permanetly delete it from my hardrive, the internet, Activisions servers and the universe I could sleep better.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
      Big Thanks to all the TG folks that helped out yesterday getting this title off the ground. Most peeps were extremely patient given the rough ride we got just trying to first find and then get folks on the server. Server 1 that is. I have yet to play on server 2. Anyhow, I will not recount all our trials and tribulation but rather list off some known issues and what's happening with them.

The Issues

How to find the TG servers - The master servers are overloaded and query returns are being throttled by Acti to keep it from crashing entirely. You are only being shown a small portion of the available servers in your browser. Chances are, you won't see either of the TG servers. For now, you will have to ask a friend that is on the server to send you an invite. Oy vey. "They" are aware of this and working on a fix.

Favorites - There is no way to manually add a favorite via IP. You have to be in the server and add it via the menu or see it in the browser and add it from there. Even if you add a server to your favorites it's no guarantee you will see it in your browsers Favorites tab. The Recent tab is also a bit dodgy when it comes to keeping track of past connections.

/connect and /reconnect - These commands do not work with BO

Slots - There is no SM script runnning. I am looking into whether it can be set up. For now, if you are an SM, ask an admin to make room for you.

Lag - Gameservers claims it's not their hardware. Some folks have posited that it's a simple Dvar command that needs to be changed (which we don't have access to). Could just be day 1 cloggage. We'll keep a close eye on this.

Playlists - We cannot create a persistent map rotation. If the server restarts the gametype defaults back to TDM. An admin has to then pick a playlist. At this time, the only mixed mode rotation is the "Team Tactical" playlist. It normally includes TDM but the devs were kind enough let us exclude maps and gametypes but not kind enough to let us add them. The rest of the playlists are three flavors each of the individual gametypes - Barebones, Hardcore, or normal.

Rcon connectivity - We have not been able to communicate at all with TG server 2 via Rcon since launch therefore it is running straight up default TDM. Rcon is what the admins use to communicate with the server and adjust settings and kick evil bunny hoppers. The Dev built Rcon tool is not able to connect to all servers for some reason. Acti/Trey/GS are aware of this.
      The lag is an issue with the game itself, and Treyarch is apparently working on a patch to fix it. The stuttering/locking up etc, occurs in SP too.

Comment

How is the product though, I understand that there are these growing pains, but are these pains a little worth it? Do you think these are acceptable pre launch follies given the nature of other releases?

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Unload View Post
          The lag is an issue with the game itself, and Treyarch is apparently working on a patch to fix it. The stuttering/locking up etc, occurs in SP too.
          From www.BASHandSlash.com

Laaaaag.

Just spoke with Alex G., he seems to indicate that the source of the lag might be with the GamerServer server config.

Issue is with the sv_maxrate, currently on all servers it is set to 5000 (because of consoles I would assume) it should be set to around 25000 for PC.

Therefore most pc users are finding a poor online expierience.

I have been on with gameservers all day and their tech team.

We tested the different rate on our server as a fix (via the tech team) and guess what, absolutely perfect.

Our server has actually just been changed back, of course they can't edit the servers, They have submitted a request to whitelist the command sv_maxrate for all users to activision to be able to edit to what they desire. (They didn't want to set all servers to it by default because they believe people will have bandwidth issues).

Just so you know they have limited results in the in game server browser to a few hundred servers to stop it overloading. Leaving most people unable to find their own servers!

Also don't know if you know yet but there it no connect/reconnect and similar commands in the game and the addfavourite command does not work.

Hope this is useful and details enough :)

-AG

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

It's astounding to me that these problems exist. How many games like this have these companies released? It's not like this is the first time. How about working the bugs out before launch? If it requires a beta to get enough people online at one time then do a beta. If you need more time, then take it. Don't worry so much about the release date. Follow Blizzard's lead and get it right and then release it. These types of issues are unacceptable.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
              Do you think these are acceptable pre launch follies given the nature of other releases?
              No. There are alot of things that a beta could have caught. At times I find myself amazed that some of the bugs were either overlooked or just plain ignored.

The game itself is fun. But if you didn't like the fast pace of MoH you are going to have trouble here Jack. The spawn die spawn die is the primary trait of this style of online shooter. Fast deaths, and quick respwns. With any other group, this game is unplayable. With TG guys, it can be fun.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I have two complaints not voiced here yet: First, the surround sound sucks. In COD4, I can tell where an enemy is just by the sound and the weapons all have impact in their sounds. In BO, everything is very muffeled sounding and the surround sound is not good enough to use to locate someone. The only sound with real impact is your heartbeat when holding your breath.... louder than any weapon including the choppers. I had to turn my bass down because of this.

The other issue is sometimes if you hit something on the keyboard it goes to a steam popup, which isn't a problem, but when you get back in game it's sometimes 30 seconds or so before you can aim down the sights.
                sigpic

Comment

Jack I have had some fun on this game. The maps are really good in this game. I think there is only one map I could do without but all the others they did a nice job on with some really large maps instead of the really small maps other games have released. Dredge said it right but he missed one thing...... S&D is slower paced. I played on an S&D server and it was like old times because they had the same rules of no bunnyhopping etc... that TG supports. I like the game.
                  "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
                  "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

This just in from GameServers:

A global change has been issued to our Black Ops servers modifying the maxrate parameter. This will help smooth out performance issues some have referenced. Please restart your server from within your account page to take advantage of the changes.
                    Both servers have been restarted.

We still have no RCON access to Server 2 as of Thursday am.

Comment

Re: Day 2+ - Ongoing Tech Issues

Here's an informative GameServers thread:

http://forums.gameservers.com/viewto...p?f=11&t=41310

Comment

I am having a great tim e..MUCH better than day 1..! hahahah

I R CUSKER..!

Comment

The sound, while not perfect yet, seems to have been greatly improved with the update, and the aiming down the sights issue is not as bad either. It seems to recover quicker. They are making some progress for sure.
                          sigpic

Comment

I still find that there is some stuttering but nearly as bad. I was finally able to use the M14 effectively last night with the update. I ran Fraps and it doesn't appear to be a fps issue as I never dropped below 40fps and avg around 65fps.

Comment

Re: Ongoing Tech Issues - updated 11/12/10

OP has been updated with new info.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse