Unranked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unranked

So, I thought I'd get some discussion going...

Do we want to go unranked?
    Why?
    When?
    One server at a time?
    What sort of setup do people want to see on an unranked server?

[Spartan 9]

Re: Unranked

My answers would be:

Yes.
    Because we can play with the configs to make it a bit more team oriented. And because we won't get the statmonkey and casual pubbies. Generally only people looking for something a bit different will make an effort to look at the unranked servers.
    I think in the next week or two would be good. Give people plenty of warning to rank up and not go for the next prestige, if that's what they need.
    I'd say start with server 2, since it's more hardcore anyway.
    I haven't put much thought into what an unranked server config would look like, beyond longer timers on everything.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

1. Yes. Yes. Yes. I would very much like unranked.
      2. Going unranked will allow us complete control over the map rotation and game mode settings.
      3. As soon as humanly possible.
      4. I'd be fine with that. Hell, I'd even be fine with S&D being the Unranked.
      5. I think we would need to see the configs to get an idea of what we could do.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, we'll take one server to unranked to start.
        Why? For the reasons listed already.
        When? That's open for debate. The earliest I would want to do it is after the 1st of the year.

Settings - I would want a somewhat mixed mode server. We can write our own rotation. We can change round timers, bomb timers, Dom flag capture times, etc.

Comment

What are the disadvantages of going unranked?

If we are having trouble populating the server now, imagine if we go unranked?

BF2142 had this debate back in the day, and in the end decided to remain ranked, and it didn't work out bad at all. At least they consistently had population on the server.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

With going unranked (right now) we have no mod tools. I'd love to go unranked, but I'd really like to see when those tools are coming out. Other than messing with all the settings for respawns, game types etc, we have nothing else right now.

Ranked, we have 0 control over most of the stuff, we cannot edit any of the settings. We can't even switch teams when one side is lopsided, or someone leaves. Next patch is suppose add the ability to switch teams in ranked mode, but we'll see. So basically, we're left adding and subtracting game modes, and maps, vanilla or hardcore.

Comment

Tempus, I don't think there's a problem populating the servers.

So, January 1st it is? :)

[Spartan 9]

Comment

I'm all for it.......however if this turns out to be another "let's make an arcade shooter into a realism sim" attempt I'll slap the whole damn lot of you for trying it......again. That being said, remember I am not the most eloquent person and what I say should not be taken personally.
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                  1. Yes. Yes. Yes. I would very much like unranked.
                  2. Going unranked will allow us complete control over the map rotation and game mode settings.
                  3. As soon as humanly possible.
                  4. I'd be fine with that. Hell, I'd even be fine with S&D being the Unranked.
                  5. I think we would need to see the configs to get an idea of what we could do.
                  I agree with Mindkill ( I think I threw up in my mouth a little), but if we do go with a server unranked can we still have a little mix mode on it? S&m/D is fine but gets boring after a while( I die quick in a lot of the rounds). Look at how the COD4 server rebounded after the change to mix mode….

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
                  George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                    I'm all for it.......however if this turns out to be another "let's make an arcade shooter into a realism sim" attempt I'll slap the whole damn lot of you for trying it......again. .
                    I will be in line behind him…… it's a game not a historic reenactment……

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
                    George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by redneck_fgf View Post
                      it's a game not a historic reenactment
                      +rep
                      Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

I'm all for it.......however if this turns out to be another "let's make an arcade shooter into a realism sim" attempt I'll slap the whole damn lot of you for trying it......again.
                        Nobody is talking about making this a realism sim. However, this being TG, nobody wants to see this game played Mario Brothers style either.

The gameplay here should be about teamwork and tactics, not uber twitch and run & gun. There are 1000s of deathmatch servers out there for stat-whoring and such. The goal of TG is to elevate gameplay to a level above 'common'.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                          Nobody is talking about making this a realism sim. However, this being TG, nobody wants to see this game played Mario Brothers style either.

The gameplay here should be about teamwork and tactics, not uber twitch and run & gun. There are 1000s of deathmatch servers out there for stat-whoring and such. The goal of TG is to elevate gameplay to a level above 'common'.
                          so are you implying that the ranked servers we run now are stat whoring servers? Because I hear plenty of comms, teamwork, etc. I have yet to see any of our servers played like "mario Brothers" There is a HUGE misconception from the PR,ARMA community that games have to be slow to be "tactical" which I strongly disagree with completely and have yet to have anyone prove to me that slow = Tactical. Your post ...to me anyway implies that if we don't make drastic changes that we are playing run and gun....which I disagree with. :)
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

so are you implying that the ranked servers we run now are stat whoring servers? Because I hear plenty of comms, teamwork, etc. I have yet to see any of our servers played like "mario Brothers" There is a HUGE misconception from the PR,ARMA community that games have to be slow to be "tactical" which I strongly disagree with completely and have yet to have anyone prove to me that slow = Tactical. Your post ...to me anyway implies that if we don't make drastic changes that we are playing run and gun....which I disagree with. :)
                            No think what he is getting at is there has been a drastic drop off in TG minded people. We have gained a lot of fresh new members here, but at the same time have let our standards slip. People freak when they are forced to wait even 5 seconds for something.... Why so they can spawn immediately back and die again and then bitch that pele are not rushing with them fast enough.....

We all have our opinions, but it is something not have played games in a TG server in over two months and have read the forums constantly to see people who are changing the roots of TG because the game that their community has adapted hasn't really been vetted... In my opinion, the onset of these half done games has contributed to the decline of TG standards and the people who are just worried about running around and killing people with the occasional ' I pwnd you, where is my support....your not pushing fast enough"

I'm not saying slowing it down to an Arma style pace, but I do know that fast games can be tamed to TG standards....look at CSS, fast paced game but slowed enough for TG...right now I do not think people understand the difference between league play and TG play.
                            Aabout

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                              No think what he is getting at is there has been a drastic drop off in TG minded people. We have gained a lot of fresh new members here, but at the same time have let our standards slip. People freak when they are forced to wait even 5 seconds for something.... Why so they can spawn immediately back and die again and then bitch that pele are not rushing with them fast enough.....

We all have our opinions, but it is something not have played games in a TG server in over two months and have read the forums constantly to see people who are changing the roots of TG because the game that their community has adapted hasn't really been vetted... In my opinion, the onset of these half done games has contributed to the decline of TG standards and the people who are just worried about running around and killing people with the occasional ' I pwnd you, where is my support....your not pushing fast enough"

I'm not saying slowing it down to an Arma style pace, but I do know that fast games can be tamed to TG standards....look at CSS, fast paced game but slowed enough for TG...right now I do not think people understand the difference between league play and TG play.
                              Aabout
                              Jack....I agree with most that and hats off to you for wording better than me, their are certain game modes which we have on mixed mode server that I think we play very tactically....and I don't believe they can be slowed down. CTF comes to mind, we use comms, and set up defense and offense all at the same time.....it's slow defending the flag.....but the guys running to try and steal the opposing flag see alot of faced pace action because they are constantly in the mix. I have played in several league style matches and disliked it ....ALOT. I never feel that style of play in either BC2 or Black Ops

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X