Server 1 - S&D Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 1 - S&D Discussion

I know there's been a lot of talk over the past day or two regarding search and destroy matches on the ranked server. The main grief seems to be about the pubbies generally not following rules and throwing the match just by generally being idiots (rushing spawns, no comms, lone wolfing, etc).

The couple of options I've heard tossed around are either:
    A. Removing S&D from the mixed mode server altogether
    or
    B. Heavily regulating S&D rounds i.e. kicking anyone not playing strictly by the rules

I'd be for option B myself. I've had some enjoyable S&D matches on the ranked server and would like to continue them, but I do believe we need to set in text the specific groundrules for S&D rounds. So for those of you considering either of those options, please give your input here.

For me it comes down to telling the pubbies at the start of an S&D round by voice or by scrolling text to
    -Play as a team, meaning use voice comms and make callouts
    -Don't rush the other team's spawn
    etc. Fill in your ideas here

Though to be fair the rules are already in place in the scrolling text, but is there anything else we can do?

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Re: Server 1 - S&D Discussion

I am of mixed feelings about this. As I said in TS last night, be careful with making of or wishing for new rules because it's a slippery slope. Don't get me wrong, I would like to be able to enjoy a round of S&D every now and again but, I do NOT want to go back to the "glory days" of CoD 4.

I think I am more for option A and then leaving S&D as one of the game modes on the unranked server where there will be (hopefully) less non-teamwork oriented players.

If it were decided to go with option B, I would argue for not imposing ANY limitation on player movement in the map. Mainly because it's easy to counter by simply placing a rear guard/claymores/camera spikes to watch for the flankers. As for the rules already being on the scrolling text on the server, I would urge the administration staff to not "drop the hammer" and ignore the standard TG infraction system of Warn/Kick/Temp Ban/Ban. Mainly because it may deter future tactical players from coming back if they are arbitrarily kicked with little to no idea of why. When I first came to TG, I made all the same "mistakes" as the pubbies do today. If I had just been blindly kicked with no explanation, I would have never come back.

So again, I urge everyone to consider the long term effects of any ideas they may wish to discuss. Also, having a more strict set of rules for one game mode out of many will be very confusing to first timers to TG and will make the administrations job that much more difficult.

sigpic

Comment

i give my vote to B with warnings then kick, However it turns out it becomes i kickfest id say remove it.

Comment

I'm fine the way it is, but if I to pick between those two, obviously I'd vote for B.
        Removing the most realistic (sorry, it just is) mode from a TG server because a handful of players don't play it realistically is just crap.

Look at it this way, what's the difference between S&D and any other mode in that sense? In domination I routinely head straight for the farthest flag at the start of the round, to keep the other team honest, and hence have to kill people near their spawn.
        Are the people griping about rushing in S&D really just upset at themselves for letting their guard down and then frustrated that they don't get to respawn after their own mistake?

Seriously, at the start of every S&D round I encourage people to wait a moment to pick off the EASY rushers. And they are easy. And I do get killed by them sometimes, but in balance I come out alive significantly more often.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

can we get larger scrolling messages....and more of them so we as admins don't have to constantly stay in Rconn messaging people the rules??? is there a way to tailor the scrolling messages to the game mode? For instance say S&D comes up....can the messages be specific to that mode? and then have the messages say something totally different in CTF?....or am I in wish land? :)
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

The messaging system in the stock rcon tool was causing a bunch of the crashing we experienced. Gameservers came up with a way for the servers to run a text file locally that generates the messages in game. This has helped with server crashes but the system is not very advanced in terms of what we can do with it. The minimum time between messages is 60 seconds. You can colorize your text and there are, I'm guessing 25 - 30 lines of messages you could have in total. As far as sizing goes, there's nothing I see.

Comment

It's been awhile since I've posted but do want to put in a few thoughts ... or so I started to do. Instead, I'm going to sum it up:

Communications on the COD Black Ops servers pretty much SUCKS. Yes, there are moments but I've played entire rounds with TG members and not heard a single com regarding THE GAME. I am as guilty as anyone / everyone and have resolved (2011 resolution) to increase and improve my communications and to push for team work.

If we have team work (refer to Balfa and Mindkills posts), the rushing will be reduced, those that do will die quickly, and we will see an improvement in the game experience on the TG servers.

I am not a fan of S&D most likely due to burn out from the "glory days". However, it can be a great mode IF we set the example for the pubbies.

I challenge everyone to use better communications and return to the TACTICAL game style that represents TG.

Oops .. looks like I better change my signature. :-) It has been a long time since I've posted.
              |TG-88th| SkinnySpike

Comment

Good post, skinny.

Just want to add to what venman said. Admins using rcon should be the last line of defense. It's up to all of us community members to educate newcomers. Any time I see something against the rules, I warn them that it's not allowed and try to make sure that they actually understand me. I also let everyone in ts know so they can watch for the same behavior and repeat offenders can be dealt with appropriately.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
                  Good post, skinny.

Just want to add to what venman said. Admins using rcon should be the last line of defense. It's up to all of us community members to educate newcomers. Any time I see something against the rules, I warn them that it's not allowed and try to make sure that they actually understand me. I also let everyone in ts know so they can watch for the same behavior and repeat offenders can be dealt with appropriately.
                  ^ this
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Just wanted to say that team work was GREAT tonight! We used balfa's tactic - waited for rushers, watched our backs, and planted three times in a row!

Keep up the comms -

Bump to Vitamin as well - we played 2 man defense on CTF and had great comms
                    |TG-88th| SkinnySpike

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyspike View Post
                      Just wanted to say that team work was GREAT tonight! We used balfa's tactic - waited for rushers, watched our backs, and planted three times in a row!

Keep up the comms -

Bump to Vitamin as well - we played 2 man defense on CTF and had great comms
                      Havana? I almost felt like it wasn't fair. Too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by CouponClippr View Post
                        Havana? I almost felt like it wasn't fair. Too easy.
                        It wasn't fair. It was Sledge and me against the rest of TG. The first round on Havana CTF, we got a few of our pubbies to help with defense and ground the round to a stalemate. The next round, one of the pubbies that was actually using his microphone, started complaining about too many of us on defense. That somehow convinced the rest of the team to run around, staring at walls. I think I heard "We've got the enemy flag!", once. It was followed .00002 seconds later by, "We've lost the enemy flag! The enemy flag was returned!". Sledge and I proceeded to get stomped. I left shortly after that to find my Preparation H.

sigpic

Comment

Lol, sounds like fun. I was talking about Havana S&D.

Comment

Originally posted by CouponClippr View Post
                            Lol, sounds like fun. I was talking about Havana S&D.
                            I agree that it's fun, when you are on the molesting team. Not so much when you are the one getting molested. :madsmile:

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X