Loadouts and Teamwork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loadouts and Teamwork

For those of us that are in TeamSpeak on a nightly basis, it comes as no surprise that I am often very vocal concerning some choices that players make concerning their kits. I honestly do my best to not be negative or condescending when voicing my opinion but, I get frustrated and most likely end up sounding negative. I would like to apologize and to explain what gets me so hot under the collar.

Please understand that this is not a ruling by the admin staff or anything like that. This is just me trying to get you to think about your kits and equipment choices and how they affect the team.

Let's start with the Secondary weapon choices. Depending on your rank, you can choose a pistol of some sort, a launcher, or one of the Specials. In my opinion, everyone should be using either a LAW or the Strella-3 in order to actually help their team, except snipers, who need the pistol as a back-up/CQB weapon. With the LAW/Strella-3, you are able to help your team by taking out enemy spy planes/counter-spy planes, attack choppers, and care package choppers. By taking out these aircraft, you deny the enemy information, offensive capability or resupply, thereby reducing the enemies overall combat effectiveness.

The choice of using the RPG, China Lake, or the crossbow may help the team out, depending on their use. What I most see these three items used for is as a primary weapon. This does NOT help your team. These three items are very useful for taking out enemies in buildings or behind cover but, most often I see them wasted on (what I see as) kill whoring/hunting. Help your team, not your K : D ratio. If you are more interested in your K : D, perhaps you should reconsider the server you play on and the tags you wear.

The last remaining secondary weapon are the Ballistic Knives. I firmly believe these to be one of the biggest wastes and anti-teamwork oriented choices possible. Although killing the enemy is part of the objective and taking an enemy out silently is even better, each player already has a knife. Do your team a favor and pick something that helps everybody instead of just your K : D.

Next up, Lethal thrown items. Simple frags and their Symtex brothers are both very useful weapons. With a little practice, frags can be placed very accurately around doorways, walls, into windows, etc. I've never really used the Symtex nades, but I have seen them put to good use, even with their shorter fuse.

The last item, Tomahawks are in the same class as the Ballistic Knives in my book. Just a way for a player to be able to say "PWND" to their victim. If you need a silent kill option, try the standard knife or a silenced weapon, then you can still pick a room clearing nade and be helpful to your team.

Now on to the Tactical thrown items. Except for the Decoy, all of these items are very useful to the team when used properly. By this I mean, try and keep from flashing/concussing (dunno if that's actually a word, but you catch my drift) your team mates. Do not blindly throw these items and risk getting a team mate killed. The decoy is pretty cool in theory but they hardly ever fool anyone. Let me know if you have a success story with a decoy and change my mind!

Let's take a look at the Equipment slot now. Of all these items, the only one that is not all that useful would be the motion sensor. And it's mostly not useful because we play in Hardcore mode and do not have a minimap up all of the time.

The camera spike is extremely useful for defenders and for snipers. It allows them to have something watching their back at all times. The bad part is that the video feed from the spike replaces your minimap.

Claymores and C4 are great for setting up traps and to deny access to the enemy. They also work as an early warning system because you are told when someone destroys your equipment.

The Jammer is one of the most underrated and underused pieces of Equipment. They are great on an assault/offensive kit in that they short out all enemy electrical devices. Such as: Claymores, C4, Sentry Guns and SAM launchers. On defense, they blind the enemy that has a UAV up, when that enemy is within range of the Jammer. I would love to see these used more often!

Although I have never really used it, the Tactical Insertion item can be very helpful in keeping pressure on an enemy position. Be sure to hide it from your enemies. Because, when I find them, I like to wait and kill the enemy spawning on it. Is this cheap? Yeah, kind of. But it leaves a lasting impression on the enemy to find a better hiding spot for his equipment.

As far as Perks go, they all have their uses, strengths and weaknesses. Depending on how each is used, determines if it's beneficial to your team. As an example: If a player were to combine Lightweight and Marathon, that player would be excellent at capturing the flag in CTF matches. On the other hand, if the player picks this combo so that he can run around with Tomahawks and Ballistic Knives... You get the picture.

So, what do you guys think? Agree with me? Disagree? Feel free to rip apart my arguments, use them as a guide on how to help your team or educate me with your opinion. Most of all, I hope this write up makes you think a little more about your kit choices and how you can be more useful to your team.

p.s. Sorry for another wall of text! :o

sigpic

Re: Loadouts and Teamwork

Ballistic Knife - I read somewhere that is the lightest weapon. In theory, where milliseconds sometimes count...the fastest CTF runner will be Lightweight, Marathon with the knife equipped while carrying the flag. Of course if the knife isn't the lightest, my theory is baseless. Also would the increase in speed make up for the loss of Anti-Air capabilities?

Nades/semtex - I prefer normal grenade because it allows for cooking/bouncing/angling. Of course the pro can also be the con. Semtex is nice when you don't want it moving.

Decoy - I've only used it a few times, but I believe they improved it. It makes different gun sounds and I swear I've heard mine make a reloading sound. It has helped me once. On Demolition Cracked our team just planted on the bomb site in the middle of the street. I respawned on the far side of the map and made my way down the street (bomb sight directly in front of me). I turned and tossed a decoy down a narrow path and waited a few seconds. Within six seconds three different enemies came directly to the sound in search of an easy kill. That turned into three less defusers that made it to the bomb site.

Jammer - Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Keep this item underrated. It's so much fun turning everyone's claymore into a useless piece of scrap metal in SnD.

Tactical Insertion - Invaluable tool in CTF and Domination.

I would add more but my food is getting cold.

Comment

That may be Coupon. I'm really not sure if it is the lightest or if it would make much of a difference over a wielded pistol. Whatever the case may be with the ballistic knives, I have never seen them used in the fashion you describe.

sigpic

Comment

I pretty much agree on every point with extra emphasis toward the dang china lake...you know who you are!
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I am actually not a real big fan of the Jammer. When you say "Shhhhhhh", i do too..but i mean it literally. Even my own jammer drives me nuts with the noise that it makes. Of course i always use hacker so i know where those pesky clays are..however with me, i am so sound sensitive that i'm able many times to hear someone even rustle a bit under the right circumstances. Hearing that noise maker hurts more than it helps me. But again that's just personal preference at this point. They certainly can be useful. A nice flash disables a clay too..allows me to get past it..and if needs be i'll hack it to let teammates by.

On all my serious kits I like having both extended clip and silencer on my weapon. This means i need to equip warlord pro. I 10000% agree with you about having a launcher. Only snipers shouldn't..and really..who needs snipers? :). I too like the regular nade over the semtex. you can't cook the semtex and that's a problem for me. Ghost and Hacker are my other two perks of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
            That may be Coupon. I'm really not sure if it is the lightest or if it would make much of a difference over a wielded pistol. Whatever the case may be with the ballistic knives, I have never seen them used in the fashion you describe.
            We can test to see if there is any difference. I agree that people don't use it for that purpose. Just trying to add to the discussion.

Po, I have to agree about the noise. I rely on sounds a lot and the jammer can end up being very distracting. That being said, I prefer placing it in locations with multiple stories. After placing I move and have the effect without the noise. Plus I still have both my tacticals. It also tends to draw people out. Like moths to a flame. The most effective I've ever had it was one game of SnD when there were 4 clays all set in one building. Most of the team just clayed that point and moved to the other site. I do like the use of jammer for defense as MK mentioned. Allows the defenders to use a perk besides ghost.

Comment

In s&d, sound matters a lot more than mixed mode. I don't think the additional noise of a jammer makes a massive difference when everyone's spamming a demo site with grenades and flashes.

I tend to set up the same as Po, but I use sleight of hand instead of warlord with extended mag. It's sort of six of one, half a dozen if the other, but I guess Po is trading quicker aim down sights and (in my opinion) a more versatile ammo supply for extra grenades and more total ammo.

I guess he stays alive a lot longer than I do, so he usually gets to benefit from the additional ammo :D

With regards to strelas, I keep one on about half my kits, but I favor sam turrets over portable aa.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

My baby at this point, as many of you have heard me say on TS3, "You just can't do that with a claymore."

C4: Very very very very underrated. I started running it on my Sniper kit during the last scrim vs [tb] and I just stuck with it. Its like having two semtex nades that are dead quiet and have a larger kill radius in your equipment slot. Its interesting because most players don't seem to realize what C4 is on the receiving end. Often if I throw a nade someone will see the trail, or hear it clink on impact, and realize "Oh crap thats a nade, run!" If I throw a C4 charge it doesn't seem to provoke that reaction as often. Its more startled confusion, such as "What is that thing? Oh crap, run!" That extra second or so of delay on the receivers end, coupled with the larger kill radius, makes it just as if not even more effective than grenades, to me at least.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

question: how is second chance not part of this conversation? it's the ultimate "help yourself not your teammates" perk. When you get shot and should be dead, why should your teammates risk their one chance to revive you and give you a SECOND chance? Especially on respawning game types... is waiting 10 seconds to respawn that big of a deal. You'll even get all your ammo back. I cant tell you how many times I've tried to be a good teamie and give the revive, only to have an enemy come around the corner and mow us both down. Talk about frustration. In S&D I can understand it better, but still, you're asking for someone to risk their one chance to give you a second one. AND! there are some many more team helping 3rd tear perks (hacker, marathon, ninja, tac mask).

I know a lot of you love your SC perk, but I just hope you understand if I dont rush to your aide every time you get shot up. I'll do my best to help, without putting myself in too much danger.

[/mini-rant]

Comment

Very good question teratoma. The reason SC was not included in my original write up was because I was planning on a series of threads, with the first two concerning tactics/strategy and kit load outs, then the third would have been perk picks. I hadn't gotten around to writing anything concerning perks since my previous two topics didn't generate much discussion. If there is a resurgence of interest in these topics, I may start writing again. If not, I am not going to waste my time trying to get a discussion going with members that don't want to discuss anything. *hint hint, nudge nudge to the community* [/my mini-rant]

Concerning second chance, I can only speak for myself and how I use it. I only ever run SC when I am playing defense on certain game modes (CTF and DEM for the most part) and for one reason only. No, not to get my team mates to risk their lives for me or to give me a chance for extra kills (you all should know that I don't care diddly-squat about my KdR), instead, I use it to give me extra time to communicate to my fellow defenders where the enemy is coming from, potential enemy squad strength and direction of movement. It's generally the player using SC on offense that is being selfish and a detriment to their team, of course, there are exceptions.

I would like to talk more about this particular perk but, I will save it for if/when I do the perk picks post.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
                        I cant tell you how many times I've tried to be a good teamie and give the revive, only to have an enemy come around the corner and mow us both down.
                        Well on the flip side of that bit, I've had many times where I've rezzed somebody and they've gone on to stop a flag runner, or kill a bomb planter, earn a killstreak, or just help stop an enemy push in the life they have after being revived.

Sure you could argue that its the ultimate help yourself perk, but I think it helps your team as well. I haven't used it much myself but its a good way to take out an enemy who gets sloppy and doesn't confirm his kill, and instead of dying someone can revive you, bringing you right back into the fight; so the enemy is down one man and you still have that person who SC'd alive. Its sort of a choice between, "do you want to revive at spawn in 7 seconds?" or "do you want to be revived right here and help us do x, y, or z?" I make it a personal point of helping anyone with a revive icon because I would expect the same thing from someone else if that were me on the ground, and because its often better to have that extra gun up and moving instead of immobile or dead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that everybody run SC on all their kits. I'm just saying its useful and has value not only to the individual but to the team as well. However, the SC user and his team have to be smart. Situational Awareness, like always, is crucial. If you're in SC and you think your team cannot get to you alive, wave them off and say "Don't rez me!" so that they don't put themselves needlessly at risk. Likewise, if someone is in SC don't get so focused on rezzing the downed man that you forget about the enemy waiting for you. SC Pro users are excellent bait sometimes.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Not sure how you could suggest that the only perk in the game that requires a teammate (sc pro) is somehow not team work oriented :)

It's just like a medic in bc2 or pr, but instead of asking a teammate to forego picking some other class so they can be a medic and revive, you're the one making the sacrifice of not picking some other perk so that anyone on your team can revive you.

I also don't see why mk suggests that using it on offense is somehow less noble than on defense... Do attackers not also benefit from having an extra couple of seconds to tell their team they got shot from the upstairs left window so the other attackers know where to be wary of?
                          Also, like lancer pointed out, the attacker actually benefits from the revive by not having to respawn far away and spend time alone trying to get back to his group. Onlooker a defender, who gets to be revived 20 ft from where he's have to otherwise spawn (okay, not on grid ;) ).

Anyway, I only use it on one kit, and only because I'm trying to go pro on all press, but it DEFINITELY has its place in a tactical, team-oriented environment!

[Spartan 9]

Comment

I'll concur with SC being a great tool for defense. Not only does it give you the opportunity to call out enemy movement, but it gives you a chance to continue eliminating the attackers. For CTF offense I would recommend tac insert over SC (at least on larger maps). I know I'm comparing equipment to a perk, but tac insert doesn't put your teammates at risk. I also think you won't have a chance to call out enemy defensive positions while in SC. Defenders have been pretty efficient in taking out the SCers quickly.

I also want to add I finally found my best loadout for attacking/capturing a point in DOM:

Galil - silenced (sometimes noise doesn't matter, extended mag could also work)
                            Strela.
                            Grenade, Smoke, Jammer.
                            Flak Jacket, SOH, SC / Hacker.

Comment

I made the statement of SC on an offense kit being less than noble, as Balfa put it, because I have hardly ever seen much coordination of the offense. The reason for this is mainly the retarded spawn points in the game that make it extremely difficult to join up for an offensive push. And, as Coupon states, defenders have gotten very good at putting down attackers with ruthless proficiency along with Lancer and I constantly telling the SC-haters/whiners to use more bullets and/or keep shooting until you see the kill message come up.

By the way, I am glad that there is finally some discussion going on! In the next couple of days, I will add a perk picks post to this thread and we can discuss the rest of the perks, their pro's and cons, etc.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X