Seeding and server 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeding and server 2

Just curious... I'm usually late to the party most nights, because real life doesn't end for me until about 8pm cst.
    And when I do get on, it's almost always server 1 that's populated. So I have these questions:

Who typically seeds?
    Is there any particular reason you seed server 1 instead of 2?
    If it's because it just doesn't occur to you, then stick a post-it on your monitor!
    If it's because ranking up is more important to you than tg without pubbies, then go find a power rank server!
    If it's because you simply prefer the settings on server 1, then what is it that you prefer? Remember, you're a part of this community, and if you don't like a particular aspect of the way the servers are run, start a discussion about it in these forums!

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty (except in case 2 above). Just curious as to what goes on at seed time and why we're not making use of the unranked server that many seemed to be looking forward to!

[Spartan 9]

Re: Seeding and server 2

Usually when we start to seed, there is only 3 to 4 of us and its easier to seed server one and get more people on there. Just because its easier is not the only reason though, I seed server one because I'd rather have more people playing than just 6 of us on one server. Sure the comms would be better on a 3v3 and less people not playing the objective, but that just doesn't cut it. You need people to play a decent game and when you start seeding you only have a few.
    |TG|badbest321

::

Comment

Before I answer those let me point some things out.

Pubbies in and of themselves are not bad, as I think was implied (maybe not intentionally) by your second "if it's" point. I've seen many pubs on our server who aren't stupid and do play the game well by our rules; [NOG]Ernie, [EcS]Creepy, kil-libb, and [NONE]Smooth to name a few. I'm not saying server 2 isn't fun, but server 1 stays populated longer because it is a ranked server, and ranked servers are where the pubs play. Building off of that, part of all of our jobs as members of TG is to spread the TG style of play, which means playing on server 1, where the pubs are.
      Also, there are valid reasons to want to play on server 1 to rank up. First being that those of us climbing the prestige tree need to get unlocks. Second being that playing on a power rank server will get your stats reset.

Now then, I do try to play on server 2 from time to time, because the settings are better over there. However, oftentimes server 1 is seeded first, for the reasons I have just listed above. We have had some fun spur of the moment server 2 games though, and all it usually takes is for someone to speak up and ask "Does anyone want to play on server 2?" before people quit out for the night. I have not heard anyone recently ask if anyone wants to play a couple server 2 rounds, so that partially explains why it hasn't been played recently. Also, since server 2 is often passworded because of past events, I think that discourages some of our regulars from joining or asking for the pass.If we could make sure server 2's password is removed after each event that might help.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I just go where the bodies are.......ie whatever server is populated

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Plato

Comment

I planned to seed Server 2 when it was S&D only. Once I noticed it is the same as server 1 then its really not that different till we get some mod tools. I will try to seed it more when I get back but don't fool yourself into thinking that you will have no pubbies on server 2. Most practice nights we have pubbies jumping in before Drona even has time to get a password on it. I do think you could seed it faster than you can Server 1. I have failed you Balfa and will make an effort to change that when I get back. ;)

Comment

The stats system and unlock trees were put in the game by the designers to increase the longevity and playability of the game. In the end, it does exactly that for me. Gives me a chance to learn and perfect strategies to win using each weapon. Gives me a challenge to win using the terrible guns ..ect. I think we all agree that some of the best games come when we have a nice 8v8 of all TGers(or players with TG mindset) and great communication. But, I also think that a 3v3 can tend to get frustrating for people involved much more quickly than hopping in the public and getting more players. If we aren't passwording server 2, other than a little longer plant and defuse times and a flag that can't be returned, there's not too much difference. If we are letting anyone in there anyways..might as well play on the server that allows some of the people prestiging to work towards their long term personal goals, in the course of playing towards the team objectives of the current round. And leave server 2 to be a server that stays passworded for a bunch of us to jump in and play once we have 10, 12 or 14 of us on. I agree with Balfa though that once we are all assembled, lets take advantage of server 2 and hop out ..maybe even inviting over some non-TG players to the private, who seem to be excelling in the TG way on the public. Just my opinion. I guess bottom line for me is that settings on server 2 don't concretely make the style of play "TG-like" over the settings on server 1 (Though they are more to our liking i guess than stock). But making the server TG is, IMO, shaped by admins and the play of the players.

Comment

Cool discussion. Just to quickly counter the lack of bodies thing mentioned by best, lancer and po, I agree with sledge... It's no harder to seed server 2 than it is server 1.

I guess when I said "pubbies" I meant bad pubbies. I don't consider smooth & co to be pubbies. My belief is that if we play server 2, we'll still get random people showing up, but on average I'd expect them to be les kill hungry and more team work hungry, considering they're not playing to pad their stats.

Yeah, the password thing will have to be fixed. we admins just need to be better about that. If you guys ever notice it protected when you feel it shouldn't be, let us know on ts or via contact an admin forum.

Keep up the good discussion, folks!

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...