Community Opinion on Maps/Game Modes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Opinion on Maps/Game Modes

There has been a good deal of chatter lately (by me as well) concerning the Sabotage game mode and how everyone groans when it comes up in the rotation. I am curious as to how many of us there are that would like to see that game mode removed from the rotation.

Also, feel free to comment on any other maps and game modes. If I remember correctly, we can exclude a game mode from specific maps and leave it on the rest of the maps. So, let us know what's on your mind!

sigpic

Remove it! Along with dom, dem & ctf!
    Did I leave anything out?

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Re: Community Opinion on Maps/Game Modes

+1 Reps @ Balfa

are we talking server 1 or 2 or both?

I dont mind sab anymore than any of the other die/respawn/die/respawn game modes, other than sometimes the map is over 20 seconds after I finally get the map loaded. I dont think you can add rounds can you? cause shorter time limit with best two out of three rounds would prolly be good.

the other night people were talking about how they didnt like ctf on grid. I dont mind it though. just thought I'd bring that up.

Comment

I think SAB is a nice change of pace. I believe we played on Server 2 with multiple rounds before. Please correct me if I am wrong. Who doesn't like Grid CTF? I think it's great.

Comment

I believe we're talking about server 1. The only control we have there is what map/mode combinations to include in the rotation. I think server 2 already has multiple rounds on sab.

The problem I think people have with grid ctf is that (even more so than other ctfs) the spawns suck. there are spawn points belonging to both teams near the transformer station. Miles away from either flag and in view of enemies.

I agree with tera about the respawn die respawn die crap. Dem and dom are total grenade spam meatgrinders. It's really getting old.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
            I agree with tera about the respawn die respawn die crap. Dem and dom are total grenade spam meatgrinders. It's really getting old.
            You may as well add Sab to that list. I can't count the number of times our team planted the bomb and immediately I hear someone yell out, "Spam it with 'nades!!!!" Personally, I don't use my grenades very often. I don't like to randomly toss one when I hear the other team is capping a flag. When we played Jungle DOM during a Capt. match the other week all I saw was semtex, grenades and tubes on B the whole match. I may have thrown one or two, but I prefer to see my target and fire. It was kind of disappointing seeing people resort to that type of play-style.

Comment

I'm one of those promoters of the "Spam it with nades!" school of objective defense, but even I'm seeing it get very frustrating, and I'll be trying not to do that to the same extent any more.

But I absolutely do not believe that an all S&D rotation is the way to go. I have [tb]'s ranked S&D server 2 on my favorites list, and everytime I look at it, it's empty. Only ever seen players on there once and more than 3/4 of them were wearing their tags. We could drag up comments on the "glory days" of CoD4, particularly towards the end of it from what I understand. S&D is a great gamemode, and I like playing it every couple of maps, but playing it back to back to back for just regular pub fun is not my idea of a good time.

DEM and DOM do maintain a fair degree of tactical thinking. I've heard fantastic comms on both those modes, and I'd like to make that happen more often.

So the black sheep is Sabotage right? Sabo is a fantastic gamemode, but Treyarch's default settings for it are awful. Sabo deserves to stay on Server 2, because it feels more like CoD4 there, but I think we should remove it from server 1 rotation. I think about 80% of the sabotage rounds we've played have lasted only slightly longer than the time it took to load the map. Also, most of the pubs seem to treat it more like TDM than any other mode. I'd have no problem with removing sabotage from server 1
              Last edited by TheLancerMancer; 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

the way I see the grenade issue is that the real problem is claymores. frags destroy them and tacticals disable them. and not everyone wants to use a jammer/knows about jammers. The clayer doesnt even have to be alive to get a kill with them. how many times have you seen the last alive player on a team get killed with a clay from a dead player? too many for me. personally my standard MO on plant game types is to plant and then place a clay on the bomb. and on D I plant a clay on a downed bomb. so as long as there are clays I will nade often.

I find it WAY more frustrating getting killed by a clay then I do getting naded. there is absolutly NO skill involved with clays. a good nade at least takes a little.

Comment

In my opinion I think Sabotage should be removed from the server. For mainly one reason, game length. The entire time Ive been playing Black Ops with TG Ive only had 2 types of sabotage games. Extremely short or extremely long. For me Ive seen about 1 or 2 games that either haven't ended in under a minute or have not gone into sudden death. This may not seem like much of a problem to some, but it is to me. Having a game last about how long it took me to load the map is a problem and having it last ~10 minutes is annoying because I just don't like the game mode. Also, I HATE the fact that in sudden death there is a continuous UAV that shows exactly where every player of the map is at ALL times. It isn't just a "Oh hes here and now hes here." Its a "Oh hes there running around the building and hes stopping in that corner to wait for us." That just gets to me. So to sum it all up. I vote for sabotage to be removed from Server 1.
                  sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
                    the way I see the grenade issue is that the real problem is claymores. frags destroy them and tacticals disable them. and not everyone wants to use a jammer/knows about jammers.

I find it WAY more frustrating getting killed by a clay then I do getting naded. there is absolutly NO skill involved with clays. a good nade at least takes a little.
                    I don't understand your point. You just listed the ways to avoid clays - frags, tacticals and jammers. Add to this that you can shoot and melee them. Plus flak jacket and hacker can render them useless. They are stationary and less likely to kill more than one person. You can't spam an objective. Each player only has one when equipped. Takes skill/creativity to place one somewhere that others do not expect.

Grenades - do not take skill to blindly throw onto an objective. You start with more than one. With scavenger you can have an unlimited supply. You cannot hack someone's nade and turn it against them. Flak jacket is really the only way to counter one.

In summary, there are lots of ways to avoid a claymore. Chances are you're playing aggressively/too quickly if you're frequently getting killed by one. Only one way to avoid a grenade.

The clayer doesnt even have to be alive to get a kill with them. how many times have you seen the last alive player on a team get killed with a clay from a dead player? too many for me.
                    As for the SnD dead player clay....I like it. I know the game isn't realistic in tons of ways, but at least it staying there is.

so as long as there are clays I will nade often.
                    ?What?
                    Last edited by CouponClippr; 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I'm fine with it either way. But, what Vin says is true. Its either 3 seconds of one team running over the other..or it going to the end of the timer to end with two guys sitting, crouched, in opposite corners of the map for a draw, lol. So, i guess if pinned down, i'd say Sabotage is one of the game modes least likely to produce a match of Black Ops that leaves you saying, "Man! what a great game." But i don't know that its impossible. As far as the "spamming" of nades. That's why i always stress to teammates as i'm defusing, or do so myself if a teammate is defusing, to run past the bomb towards where the enemy spawns to pick off would be naders. Also as others have mentioned, there's always precautions to take against nade throwers. Grab a kit with flak jacket. Or be mindful of where you are defusing from. i'd say 75% of thrown nades land short. Always defuse on the opposite side from where you think people are coming from. Also if knelt or prone, nades can roll right up to the bomb on the opposite side, explode, and won't do any damage to you, flak jacket or no. So many people throw theirs blindly right at the bomb indicator instead of slightly to the left or right as they should. There's always a strategy to counter any other strategy. The fun is figuring them out!

Comment

The grenade spam killing me isn't what bothers me. The grenade spam itself... The whole dynamic of that kind of round... That's what bothers me.
                        Coming up with a counter to that kind of strategy isn't something I consider fun.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

i can live with the nade spam on objectives. what i cant stand is the pre-nades that always are thrown at the start of rounds. People just chuck em at choke points where they know people will be. I remeber in cod4 we had the rule of no explosives in the first 10 seconds? i believe. I know its hard to enforce but i would personally love to see this brought back to TG
                          |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

isnt the best way to avoid rush nades... to not rush..

Comment

The problem is, when every five seconds puts the enemy an additional five points ahead, not rushing is rarely a viable option.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X