Temps in game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temps in game?

Do any of you ever watch you core temperatures in game? If so what temps are you seeing? What programs are you guys using to check the your temperatures? I am using speed fan and my temps are jumping to 107F-108F and I am getting a red check mark. What temp should I start getting worried about it damaging the computer?
    Thanks Sledge

Re: Temps in game?

No, but I use Core Temp.

Comment

I'd be worried once you start reaching around 60C per core on the CPU. Acceptable CPU temps are dependent on the CPU that you have as different models have different max recommended temp ratings. You're at around 42C, which is pretty good for temps under load regardless of what CPU you have.

Comment

What CPU do you have? I5/I7, Core2Duo, or Phenom X2/4/6? I would recomend taking a good look at your case cooling (check fans/airflow) and then take a look at an aftermarket cpu fan. And if you havn't done so in a while, a good can of compressed air might get rid of dust blockage.
        |TG| CrazySob
        sigpic
        Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

I pretty much agree with unsp0ken and Crazy's suggestions and insights. At just over 100 degrees F, you are well within spec for just about any processor out there.

As an example, I just got done playing about an hour and a half of Dirt 2 and had a core temp of 52c. I haven't bothered to look after playing BO.. I will try and remember to do so next time I play and report back with my temp. I am pretty sure it will be under 60c. For the record, I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 955 running OC'd at 3.4Ghz on the stock aluminum/copper heat sink and fan.

sigpic

Comment

Here are all the parts I have:
            processor cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103055
            Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103692
            MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131402
            case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V95YOC

I am not a big fan of the case. Its nice and easy for installing but the fan setup has no filter setup at all. I blow it out every few weeks to keep the dust down. I built it back in 2009 and she has no problems with Black Ops but I am thinking about a bigger badder video card. This is what I am running now:
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150454
            Any suggestions?

Comment

I've found it stated numerous times after Googling, that the highest you want to see the temp on your processor is 62c or 143.6f. As I said before, you are well within spec. If you are planning on some extreme OC'ing at some point, then you may want to invest in a liquid cooling setup.

As for the vid card, it all depends on your preferences. If you are wanting to go with the same chipset manufacturer, someone else will have to help you because, I know bupkis about ATI/AMD. The only thing I really would suggest is this: Wait. You are only 1/2 a generation old with that card and you probably won't see a huge gain in performance, even going with a top end card. Here is a cool little comparison site that I found while wandering one day. Just plug in your current video card in one of the drop down lists, then the card you are considering in the other and click Compare.

I'm kind of in the same boat at the moment.. as far as video cards go. I currently run a eVGA GTX275 FTW edition (factory OC'd) and comparing against all but the high-end, $500 cards, my card is still pretty competitive. So, even though I don't have the cash to upgrade at this time, I am going to wait for the next generation of cards to come out, before I start seriously looking.

sigpic

Comment

As far as the video card is concerned, it looks like you have a second pci-e slot (do you know if it is an 8 or a 16???) That means you have the option of Crossfire, if you want to take that road(and if your psu will allow it). I am a fan of the AMD gpu's, they run cooler and run faster then nVidia(I know im gonna get some arguements with that being said though). If you want a single card, the 5970 is a vry nice card. Now if you want to go extreme and have the money you can go as far as say an ASUS ARES http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/A.../ARES2DIS4GD5/ It is basicly dual 5870's (out performes 5970). Ares is around $1100 though :/. But you could pick up an AMD 6870 for about $229.00. the 6870's are basicly the mid range card for the new 6000 series, If you want top end of the new cards you can pick up a 6950 for $240 or a 6970 for around $340. But the 5850 is a good card still. I would almost dare to say just p/u another one and crossfire it. That would be cheaper then ditching that card and spending another $350 bucks for a mid/high end card. (and would out perform most single GPU single card setups.)

Side note on the crossfire idea though, make sure if you go with a card from an outside company (like ASUS or MSI) that the fan cover doesnt obstruct airflow between the cards. I have 2 ASUS 6870 DirectCU cards and have to watch my temps on my main card very closely just because the fan cover is so close to the backplate of the other card. (If any1 has had an issue like this and has found a solution I would love to hear it. Or any suggestions)

As for the CPU i messread your post, i thought you were saying 107 C not 107 F. Yah you should be just fine, my cpu runs at about 49 C under load (havnt found a game to max it out just yet).

-Crazy
                |TG| CrazySob
                sigpic
                Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X