request a crouch NO run server.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• request a crouch NO run server.

Played to night about 2-3 hrs. Would like to play here, but not gonna if both servers stay as they are.

Re: request a crouch NO run server.

Sorry to hear you didn't have the best time. Can you go into what you see as the pros of having a crouch only server would be over the current setup?

Comment

pros = makes more realistic, as far as movement.
      the game plays different when your sprinting.
      sound becomes more important.
      you will tend to use cover lots more or at least i do.
      cons= i can see would be capture the flag, capping a flag would become lots more diff.
      having to kick rule breakers, good servers are admin dependant.

Comment

I'm sorry you don't wish to play on our current server setup Bub.

Crouch only has been discussed here quite a bit and I'm not a fan or supporter of the idea. I refuse to play on crouch only servers and I would not support changing one of ours. CoD at TG is not a realism sim. We are playing the game the way it is built. Eventually server 2 will get modded but I anticipate a setup similar to how we handled CoD4 mixed mode, meaning few if any weapons restrictions, no movement restrictions and no rules that are overly burdensome on either the player base or the admins.

So much more can be done currently to improve game play here under the current framework without resorting to restriction gimmicks. If you see TG folks not playing the TG way on our servers, speak up and we'll handle it. If you really want a great gameplay experience then sign up for one of the upcoming scrims or captain's matches. Folks are a lot more organized and focused than they are during public hours.

Comment

I support this! :)

I had been playing on a few crouch servers and it's great not getting spawn rushed every round/map.

It removes "accidental" bunnying around corners.

if someone doesnt play the obj it's WAY harder for them to get back into position. So it really is one of the best ways Ive seen to promote obj play.

it helps balance the game between tactics/teamwork and twitch skills. because it's much harder to do anything solo communication and working with ones team becomes much more important, but when you do confront that enemy theres still the twitch aspect.

when it was suggested that the cod4 server go sight up/crouch/ w/e I was like heck no!, but in BO playing on the crouch servers its really not like what I imagined. It's really not that bad.

I would hope that everyone would find a crouch sever and play for an hour or so to check it out.

[edit] typos

Comment

I completely agree with Drona.

I would also urge you to sign up for our weekly Captain's Match and/or our weekly scrim with the [tb] clan. From reading your complaint, I am sure you would like the game play of the scrimmage, where the only game mode is S&D played on a modified (bomb timers and round timer) Unranked server. Granted, there is no crouch rule, but the game play is pretty slow. Our Captain's Matches are played on different game modes (depending on what the Captain chooses) and are as fast paced as any Ranked server, except the server is filled to capacity with TG members. That means that there is an abundance of communication and tactical twitch game play.

From my experience, a crouch only rule only works for the TDM (team death match) game mode. I have played on the one crouch only mixed mode server I could find in the server browser and came to the conclusion that it's just plain retarded, not to mention, almost impossible to complete any objective.

Originally posted by _BuB_ View Post
            pros = makes more realistic, as far as movement.
            I'm not sure what you mean by crouch only is more realistic. In real life and real combat situations, soldiers stand up and run.

the game plays different when your sprinting.
            I would argue that the game is supposed to be played with sprinting. Sprinting allows you to out maneuver your enemy and attack his weaker flanks, escape defenders trying to get their flag back, or move in quickly to plant a bomb.

sound becomes more important.
            Sound is very important in a non-crouch only server. Players that just randomly run around without the Ninja perk make tons of noise and, therefore, are easy prey.

you will tend to use cover lots more or at least i do.
            A player that doesn't use cover is also easy prey. Also, in a crouch only environment, you are forcing players to slowly duck walk between covers, stretching out the time that they are not in cover. Unless you mean that using more cover means more camping? ie. Not going for the objective.

cons= i can see would be capture the flag, capping a flag would become lots more diff.
            having to kick rule breakers, good servers are admin dependant.
            Your final statement seems like you are saying that the TG server is either: Not admin'd properly Or: is not a good server. Or even worse, both. I would argue that you are mistaken on both counts. Drona have given the admin team a lot of leeway with the current ruleset to get rid of the spawnkillers, lone wolves, and general smacktards.

One final thought: Drona actually tried slowing down the movement speed and sprint time on our Unranked server so that the walking speed was about as fast as moving in crouch. Sprinting was limited to just 1 or 2 seconds. Every TG player that tested it out, completely hated it, even our resident "Simulation" players.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, you got your post in while I was responding to Bub...

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
              I support this! :)

I had been playing on a few crouch servers and it's great not getting spawn rushed every round/map.

It removes "accidental" bunnying around corners.

if someone doesnt play the obj it's WAY harder for them to get back into position. So it really is one of the best ways Ive seen to promote obj play.
              The CoD Admin team has been doing a great job of removing spawn rushers and bunny hoppers. Also, I have been brutal to the pubbies that decide they don't want to play the objectives. If I find someone that is NOT playing the objectives, I warn them to get on the stick. If they do not comply, I help them find a server more to their liking (ie. I kick them)

it helps balance the game between tactics/teamwork and twitch skills. because it's much harder to do anything solo communication and working with ones team becomes much more important, but when you do confront that enemy theres still the twitch aspect.
              9 out of 10 games, I see ALOT of tactics and teamwork. Granted, there is always going to be a round or two thats very disorganized but, I blame this on the horrible job of Failarch's on the spawn system. CTF on Grid LEAPS to mind.

when it was suggested that the cod4 server go sight up/crouch/ w/e I was like heck no!, but in BO playing on the crouch servers its really not like what I imagined. It's really not that bad.
              Your last sentence is what got me... "Not that bad" implies that it's "not that good" either.

I would hope that everyone would find a crouch sever and play for an hour or so to check it out.
              As I replied to Bub, I have played on crouch only servers. Playing crouch only on TDM is kind of fun for a few rounds but, playing crouch only on a mixed mode server is more frustrating than adapting and learning to play in a faster paced environment. Also, I haven't seen either of you in the server in some time. And, way back when I did see either of you in the server, I didn't hear much communication from you. Stepping up and communicating with your team, or even stepping up and leading your team, makes a world of difference. Try the server again, use your microphone and lead your team to victory. Develop a plan to counter the mad rush by the enemy or their endless flanks and counter maneuvers. I know that when someone on my team tries to make a plan, I am more than willing to follow orders and give it a try. Heck, I even try my hand at leading (which is my weak point) and get my team a victory. THAT is where the fun is at!

I would like to state emphatically that I am not saying anyone is wrong, or that I am right. This is all just my opinion and I hope I have not offended anyone too much.

sigpic

Comment

Clarify I never said TGs servers where bad, anytime you add any rules as far as enforced play style,some people are not gonna follow, leading to more kicks - warnings = babysitting the room. So less fun for admins, namely YOU. Like anything else when you change anything, some people are gonna like it and some are not. My suggestion is to try it and see if you like it. As far as running in combat i can see a short dash to cover,or retreating to a freindly pos. thats it. I would think careful keeps you alive.
                Thanks for invite but i'll pass, the way I play is not in line with TG's way.
                Last edited by _BuB_; 04-17-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

That's too bad that you don't want to play on the current setup.

Drona and Mindkill said pretty much how I feel about it. Crouch only does not support realism in anyway at all. In real life you would not limit your movement on the battle field but as Drona said this isn't a realism game...... if you want that then we have ARMA servers. I agree that jumping around corners isn't realisic either but we don't allow that on our servers.

When we had a completely full server with nothing but TG players the other day and the play was very nice with communication and no idiotic problems. Because people like yourself and a few others choose not to play on our servers you actually contribute to the problem by leaving more empty places for pubbies to come in and create problems.

We used to keep server 1 in CoD4 completely full with TG for the most part and the only issues we had on that server were the pubbies.

I will not play on a crouch only server because of the limitations though I have played on them before and would definitely not support that setup for TG CoD.
                  "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
                  "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

I'd give Mindkill some more rep but it seems I still have to spread some around. MK and Drona said everything that I would have. I do not support the idea of a TG Black Ops crouch server. See posts numbers 4, 6, and 7.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

@ the first part of your post: yeah, I was speaking more about the game in general, not specifically the TG server. Drona and others have made the TG servers a really good server to play on.

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                      Also, I haven't seen either of you in the server in some time. And, way back when I did see either of you in the server, I didn't hear much communication from you. Stepping up and communicating with your team, ...
                      whoa there dude, I havent really been playing many games, and no COD in the past few weeks. One reason is the sever 2 issues. And during that time I've have stayed active on these boards. So it really isnt a "way back then" situation... And not hearing many comms out of me? I dont think thats at all accurate. I call contacts like crazy.

when I said "not that bad" perhaphs I could have worded that better... how about "not bad at all." or "not at a snails pace like I had imagined".

Comment

Although I am fairly new to TG i can fully agree with Lancer, Drona and Mindkill. Just another opinion here, i feel that creating a crouch server will also greatly decrease the amount of activity on server 2(assuming thats the server TG would modify) and TG servers in general. When i jumped onto a crouch server i found that almost every pub would get kicked because of not reading the rules the moment they start playing then.. BAM kicked. Having a crouch server would be a huge babysitting job for the administration, i swear the one i played on, the admin at the time was constantly on the mic, yelling at pubs and even members for forgetting or not understanding the rules. Simply put, I will never return to that server nor any other crouch server, and i feel it would only drive people away from TG servers if they had a bad experience the first time around. Its a terrible feeling when a "possible" new member (aka public player) jumps onto a server, misses the scrolling tiny rules, and gets yelled at out of sheer frustration from the admin on the server and then gets kicked/banned.. In order for a clan or online group to work and grow, people need to LIKE the servers and feel welcomed by all players including admins. I just don't feel that this will help out the TG community.

Comment

I have to agree with most all posts - both sides. I enjoy the crouch only style but most of those are TDM only. The spawn flips and playing only TDM ruin that approach. I've never played on one where communication was pushed, expected or even used.

I would STRONGLY encourage anyone and everyone to play a Captains Match. Comms, planning, etc. - this is likely the only time that EVERYONE is playing the "TG" way.

Unfortunatly, COD is a console ported game and thus is more geared towards "run and gun". however, good communications and teamwork make it a lot of fun.

NOTE: Strange how "realism" often gets used without considering the fact that in real battles and wars, lots of nades, 203s, rushing, etc. are all part of it. In addition, try "respawning" in a real battle ... I assume that doesn't happen much.
                          |TG-88th| SkinnySpike

Comment

I don't think crouch only is necessary because we've had nice, slow paced tactical play in the past on the ultra hardcore modded cod 4 server without that rule.

The problem is, and I've said this over and over again, as everyone knows, that if I know I can "die" but get back in the game 10 seconds later without any real negative effect, then I'm not going to value staying alive. And valuing staying alive is the very first principal of anything even remotely realistic or tactical.

Everyone's going to agree me with the realism part, but I can already hear people wailing that I'd insinuate that respawns aren't compatible with real world tactics. Well, here's the reason: if I don't value my life, I'll do some stupid ballsy move that 9 times out of 10 will get me killed, but if I don't die, hell even most of the times I do die, it can totally ruin the other team's day.

There's no point in trying to organize an attacking posse in CTF, for example, because the other team is running around constantly moving all the time. fast. they're unpredictable and they attack from anywhere and yeah they die, but they take out one or two of our attacking posse. And the whole plan gets screwed.

And mindkill, it wasn't that our resident "Simulation" players (i.e. me) didn't like the (I might mention accidentally configured) slow movement speed on server 2. I didn't like the respawn mode demolition with stock timers played with the slow movement speed. Respawn modes are bad enough, but when you respawn and move at 1mph and have to try and defuse a bomb on a 30 second fuse...
                            Last edited by Balfa; 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Well, seems that all the good points have been taken! LOL. I have played many crouch servers and Mindkill is right that about 99% of them out there are TDM. Having no objective is, to me, a REAL detriment. To put a crouch rule on some of the objective modes, in my opinion, just doesn't work. I agree that crouch doesn't make it more realistic, though (as bub hinted at) it does slow it down and allow for better communication. Really, we as an admin team try to not only weed out the bunny hoppers and smacktards, but try to get everyone to communicate on the servers. Try to foster the communication. Lead the communication. It can be done in a non crouch environment, i've seen it happen over and over on Server 1, even with non TG players in it. Other than that, I agree with many of the previous posts on the non-crouch side so i'll just summarize.
                              In my opinion - crouch:
                              Pros - Gives more time for organization and communication.

Cons - Doesn't work well with objective modes, not realistic movement, maps and spawn system aren't built for it, and slows the game down to (literally) a crawl... not as entertaining. (again my opinion)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X