A reminder on Teamspeak Etiquette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A reminder on Teamspeak Etiquette

Hi folks. Over the past several weeks the level of chatter in the server channels has gotten out of hand. I want to remind everyone that the Server Channels are not for chit chat during rounds. They are mainly there for folks in the respective servers to communicate in game issues to the admins or other team and to request slots when the server is full. They are not there for general discussion. Between rounds conversations are fine if they don't interfere with game business. If you need to discuss something at length with an admin, request that you meet in another channel. If you want to keep up a voice conversation with other players, use the lobby channel, your IHS channel, whisper function or Steam/Xfire voip.

This policy is in place to insure that in game players do not have their experience degraded or their attention distracted by non essential comms. We also want to make sure that the admins, who don't have the option to mute TS can respond to requests quickly and without having to clear out a lot of interference first. Be aware that this policy regarding use of Server channels is a TG wide policy though it differs slightly from title to title. Here are a few posts from other game forums at TG laying out some of their TS protocols.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...etiquette.html

Teamspeak Etiquette

Ladies and Gents,

After playing for several hours tonight I believe this topic needs to be brought up once again. Teamspeak is a great utility that we have at our disposal for communication here at TG and something every TG 2142 member should be running IMO but with its use comes some common sense.

Once the countdown timer has reached around 1:00, cut the chatter, give everyone a chance to use the planning and tactics that we are know for to their best advantage. While some of you may be able to plan in "8 seconds" others need more time to communicate to non TG members and new TG members alike.

If you want to have a conversation with someone, do so after the round or move to another channel. When there are 30+ people in channel playing a round, the chatter is distracting. I have a key bound to shut down my headphones and encourage others to do the same but as an admin I will not shut it down as I am there to take reports.

If the chatter continues in game, we as admins are not going to penalize the community, we will just remove the chatters from the channel and you will do without, it is that simple. Use the utility for what we have it for, chatter BETWEEN rounds, reporting rule infractions and pre round orginization.

Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by Bommando View Post
    Ok everyone, don't take this the wrong way, but I have to lay down a bit of TeamSpeak Etiquette smack:

The general TeamSpeak channels are there primarily to bring problem players to the attention of admins, maybe have a joke between rounds and take the odd cheap shot at your opponent.

I'd like to emphasise how important it is that these communications stay brief and succinct. I am seeing an increase in people using the default community channels to inform us of their new video card purchase or discuss game logistics at length. This is unacceptable. There are others in the channel playing the game and concentrating on the task at hand. Many people already have 5 other voices in their ear. A bunch more talking rubbish is very distracting and ruins the enjoyment of the game.

So, before you open that TeamSpeak mic channel, please ask yourself the following:

1. Am I going to say something for longer than 5 seconds?
    2. Can my question be answered in the forums?
    3. Am I interrupting gameplay with lengthy frivolities?
    4. Am I whining?

If the answer to any of the above is 'yes', then consider the following:

If it can't be answered very briefly, then please by all means ask if an admin can join you in a private channel to help. The community channel is not for conversations, but the admins are also there to help, so don't be afraid to ask one specifically. I'll get cranky with someone who asks any question on TeamSpeak default channels which is answered in a sticky within the BF2 forums or is in the announcements forum. I will always respond if someone asks me to join them in another channel however.

Thanks
    BF2 PR mod

TeamSpeak etiquette

Howdy all... After seeing this post over on the PR forums, I just wanted to request a little patience from folks using TS. I have no idea if what the guy posted was true or not, but... If you're on TS, you should expect to hear (and be disrupted by) reports of rules violations, requests for spots in squads, "chatter" about what map should be played next, mic checks, etc.. You should NOT expect to hear or be disrupted by "chatter" about a sweet headshot, how weak it was that you just got sniped by an AT round, or how lame this map is.

I know it can be incredibly frustrating when you've got a CO, two squad members, PLUS three people talking on TS at the same time... been there done that. However, the TS issue can be mitigated: I'd strongly suggest that everyone using TS create key-binds to mute, and to raise&lower TS volume! (Details on how to do that are here.)

While you're in-game, you're not usually talking on TS and really don't need to listen to it either... consider muting TS or lowering the volume substantially if you find yourself annoyed by the above expected disruptions.
    BC2's is a little different because TS is their in game voip, but you get the gist of it.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ar-2011-a.html

TeamSpeak Information

Game channels should ONLY be used for important, squad-to-squad communications. Personal opinions, personal reactions, and other non-critical communications have no place in a game channel. For that level of interaction, please use the Lobby channel.

Examples of what we do NOT want to hear broadcast on team-wide radio:

- "This game has pretty bad language, huh?"
    - "spawning in now"
    - "man that Bradley is totally owning us!"
    - "ohhhhh!!!"
    - "got to admit, this M1 is NICE"
    - "why are games always Russian versus US?"
    - "I just had to stab somebody three times!"
    - "ah man, I was changing my options!"
    - "it's pretty hard to see people in this brush huh?"
    - "hahahahaha, I tagged an infantry, someone take him out with a rocket!!"
    - "man, this turret is all glitchy"
    - "what squad are we again?"
    - "I'm in the UAV now"
    - "good shooting"
    - "is the bloom excessive for anyone else?"

Examples of things that HELP your team when broadcast over team-wide radio:

- "need help at B flag"
    - "squad Alpha defending B"
    - "BMP is darted"
    - "enemy UAV up near the water"
    - "full squad flanking along the pipes"
    - "tank ready to move on MCOM B, need infantry backup"
    And back to CoD, this is an older post and while in need of some rephrasing and additional updated info, is still for the most part accurate in it's description of channel usage.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/call-du...hile-game.html

Team Speak Etiquette while In Game.

I have witnessed a growing trend of usage of Team Speak for improper purposes. This message will hopefully ensure that everyone in this community understands what Team Speak is and what is used for and how not to abuse it.

First things you need to understand is the Team Speak channels setup for Call of Duty. They are broken down as the following Channels:

- COD Lobby
    1. CoD Admin
    2. CoD 2
    3. CoD 4 Server 1
    4. CoD 4 Server 2

Now, let me provide you with information for what each channel is used for:

- The Lobby is where people can hang out to discuss just about anything as long as it doesn't conflict with whats written in the Code of Conduct. Players who hang out in the lobby and continue to play in game may find it distracting due to the plethora of discussions that take place here.

1. Admin channel is where you go to contact and admin if you witness anything out of the ordinary or you need help in game. This is not a channel to hang out in and shoot the breeze unless invited by an admin for the purpose. Once you have contacted the admin and stated your issue for resolution continue about what you were doing once the admin has responded and rectified the issue. Do not linger or lurk in this channel most especially if you are playing on one of the servers. Abuse of this could be grounds for being banned with in Team Speak.

2, 3 & 4. CoD in game channels are for players who are on the Call of Duty servers and who wish to have communications with one another while they continue to play outside of in game Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP). While in game and playing the communication on this channel needs to be very limited regardless if you are "alive" or "dead". The sole purpose for speaking while in game is to address other admins who are currently monitoring the game or to discuss issues with players on the other team.

Players need to keep the chit chat down to almost zero unless there is something that needs to be brought to both sides attention, like, a player who is hacking or break the rules. Then openly discuss it in channel and send a representative to move into the admin channel to rectify the situation. Once rounds have ended Team Speak conversations is permitted and highly encouraged but keep in mind, it needs to be respectful of other players and also within the boundaries of "game play". Attempt to keep off topic or off color conversations to other "open channels" that are not setup specifically for "in game"

And remember all rules apply to VOIP that they do in TS. Vulgarity is a zero tolerance offense on both channels and will get you kicked. Do not intentionally interfere with a server by communicating in TS false actions, negative reports, or unsportsmanlike like conduct.

Players who continue to violate these simple rules will be banned from Team Speak for a time yet to be determined.

Re: A reminder on Teamspeak Etiquette

I have noticed this as well and I am to blame some nights. Sorry boss we will clean it up.

Comment

Ill be in the lobby channel from now on then. And i strongly encourage everyone to go tyere aswell....talking and laughing about/at some of the stuff that happens in game is the best part about COD. Without that its just COD on any other server.
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

i gotta agree with Joe on this one. for the people who dont want to hear all the chit chat in ts then they should go to the Server 1 channel and not be in the lounge. alot of peope just go where the others are, which would make me think that they want to talk to these people on ts....and for game modes like S&D then definately, quiet is needed, and when asked I've never seen someone not quiet down when asked for S&D.
        |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

I agree with joe and corp, as anyone can tell from my last reply to mind's post. The only reason I am always on ts (even if im not playing) is basicly to hang out. I will be in the BO lobby from now on, I can't see a point what so ever for ts if there is no talking. The chit chat is 60% of the fun for me. And again as I have said before (with the exception of SnD) I have never been killed by someone talking on ts.

my 2 cents,

-Crazy
          |TG| CrazySob
          sigpic
          Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

I'm not liking what I'm hearing from the comments other than Sledge. The lobby channel is not your personal lounge. It will not be allowed to become a full on alternative to being in the server channels for our players.. If it turns out the lobby is being used as the main server channel then server channel rules can easily be made to apply . Players abusing the channel will be kicked. Remember where you are playing. Our goal here is to focus on improving game play and team work, not have a tea party.

Comment

I agree... Not trying to down that, I am all for it especially when there are a lot of us on trying to play serious. The fact of the matter is that I, and im sure many of us dont want to play really serious 80%-100% of the time. Most of the time we just got off work or out of school and just want to relax, get out our frustrations, and have fun. Thats why i play black ops atleast.

Then after the warmup lets get onto the tactical gameplay. Then we hop into the server specific channels, buckle down, and show people what we are made of. (And I always try to play with the TG way in mind)

If I have made it seem any different with my views then so be it. I support TG and the TG spirit around here, in TS, and ingame. But, part of that is and always will be to have fun.

-Crazy
              |TG| CrazySob
              sigpic
              Wondering where I am? Look up and wait for the inevitable sound of 2000lbs of death and destruction that is about to ruin your day.

Comment

I think youve misunderstood me Drona. There are 3 channels under the BlackOps teamspeak. There is the default channel which is what people seem to primarily use, and there are channels for server 1 and 2. 9 times out of 10 people will be in the default channel, and id assume this is what you meant by the lobby channel. And you said that chatter in the "Server Channels" will not be tolerated, but (and i dont mean this as a smartass) like i said before these are hardly ever used. Might I suggest either designating the default black ops channel as a "hang out" channel or deleting that and making a lounge channel.

I respect your stive for realism and keeping things TG, but the TG rules can be open to a bit of "bending" if you will. If we really played every game (even ones an unrealistic as COD) the way the rules are written, it would probably be the most boring thing in the world. There really is no need for this strict TS discipline if the majority of people here dont have a problem with the way TS currently is set up. And if im completely mistaken in assuming that the majority of the people dont have a problem with the current TS, then ill stop using the BO channels for talking and keep it ingame.
                sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                  if im completely mistaken in assuming that the majority of the people dont have a problem with the current TS
                  I think you might be. That's the reason for this whole thread. See the second sentence of dona's first post.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

No where in the second sentance does it state that the majority of the COD community is completely 100% against having fun chit chat in the channels. And id also like to point out that we do not have a Lobby channel in Teamspeak right now like the old quoted COD rules have shown. And i dont think you can use the 2142 and PR TS rules accurately in COD because there are a HECK of alot more players that used to pile in TS for those games. Before 2142 died and PR started using mumble we would have sometimes up to 64 players between two channels. The most we have is 18... apples and oranges
                    sigpic

Comment

Joe, I could be mistaken but I think Balfa may have meant second paragraph, not second sentence -

This policy is in place to insure that in game players do not have their experience degraded or their attention distracted by non essential comms. We also want to make sure that the admins, who don't have the option to mute TS can respond to requests quickly and without having to clear out a lot of interference first. Be aware that this policy regarding use of Server channels is a TG wide policy though it differs slightly from title to title. Here are a few posts from other game forums at TG laying out some of their TS protocols.
                      TG is not a democracy when it comes to core principles. We've shown a lot of flexibility in a lot of areas with Black Ops. We have kept a relatively simple ruleset and I think you'll agree that it's better than in the old CoD4 days in terms player / admin interaction. I'd like to keep it that way but TG tagged folks and IHS's need to step up their game in terms of practicing and promoting teamwork and in game comms all the time, not just when the mood hits you. If you just want to hop on and frag, you can do that on any server. It's called pubbing, and it's not what we do here. We're supposed to be special. We're supposed to be different than those types of servers. All the time.

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?p=1613066 I thought I might as well share what lancer posted up for hotkeys in TS. I find them vary useful.
                        |TG|badbest321

::

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
                          Joe, I could be mistaken but I think Balfa may have meant second paragraph, not second sentence -

TG is not a democracy when it comes to core principles. We've shown a lot of flexibility in a lot of areas with Black Ops. We have kept a relatively simple ruleset and I think you'll agree that it's better than in the old CoD4 days in terms player / admin interaction. I'd like to keep it that way but TG tagged folks and IHS's need to step up their game in terms of practicing and promoting teamwork and in game comms all the time, not just when the mood hits you. If you just want to hop on and frag, you can do that on any server. It's called pubbing, and it's not what we do here. We're supposed to be special. We're supposed to be different than those types of servers. All the time.
                          No your right, this is much better then the COD4 days were. But i find it incredibly difficult to put a "tactical" mindset to COD because the simple fact is like it or not... its NOT a tactical game. Never was, never supposed to be, never will. Even with the mod that we had for COD4 it still never felt that tactical. Call it as un TG as you like and criticize those who dont try to play it tactically at Tactical Gamer but the simple fact is that super strict rules are a population killer. Ill gladly abide by your rules because i have to, but the more rules you have the less likely the community is to grow.

Thats all im really trying to say, im not like "eff the system" or anything, just trying to keep this community from falling apart the way COD4 did. We got a good thing going here right now and id hate to see the community strangled by a bunch of rules. TG is a business, it provides a service and thats quality game play. Its not good for TG to have players scared off by rules. If a pubby comes onto our servers and they enjoy the play and the people they may be inclined to come back. And if they cant get a spot in the server they might become a supporting member. Where as if a pubby comes into the server and right away people are hounding him for doing this and that hes gonna think "what a bunch of jerks" and never come back. So all in all, lets just stay chill. I hope i dont come across as defiant or anything.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was once a pubbie. The first time I came across the tg cod4 server, I'd never seen anything like it. There were lots of rules, I had no idea what was going on, and Bronco was making me feel like crap when I accidentally stepped off a slight ledge and made a noise that could have given our position away.

I absolutely loved it. Now I'm a supporting member and an admin, giving back to the community that I feel has given me plenty.

If it hadn't been for that memorable moment that instantly set TG apart from everything else, I guarantee they wouldn't be making money off me right now. If TG is a business, its first job is to know its market niche. This is Tactical Gamer, a tactical community, for tactical players.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by Balfa View Post
                              I was once a pubbie. The first time I came across the tg cod4 server, I'd never seen anything like it. There were lots of rules, I had no idea what was going on, and Bronco was making me feel like crap when I accidentally stepped off a slight ledge and made a noise that could have given our position away.

I absolutely loved it. Now I'm a supporting member and an admin, giving back to the community that I feel has given me plenty.

If it hadn't been for that memorable moment that instantly set TG apart from everything else, I guarantee they wouldn't be making money off me right now. If TG is a business, its first job is to know its market niche. This is Tactical Gamer, a tactical community, for tactical players.
                              Balfa, Your really good with words in the last paragraph! I can't even come close to that. And about the TS, I can't do anything about 'cause my mic is broke and when I do get it fixed I'll only talk in lobby or to admins if needed to. =]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X