• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MW3 Elite subscription

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

sigpic

*fart sounds* who does activision think they are? Charging a monthly fee...thats BS, it really is. First they expect you to pay 60 bucks for a game thats probably as half assed as MW2, then they give you the option to waste more money on some stupid and what im guessing are going to be pointless epeen enlarging features. No thanks ill pass. Save my money for a good game...BF3
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

re: MW3 Elite subscription

Note this part although I'm sure they will do everything they can to push players toward the subscription.(by limiting retail content)

In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I have been pretty vocal in TS and on the forums (hell, I even received a warning from a GO for one of my anti-A˘tivi$ion/Failarch posts) concerning A˘tivi$ions money-grubbing actions so, pretty much everyone knows my opinion. This just takes the cake. If they go through with this idea, I will part ways with the CoD franchise and I will even boycott any and all A˘tivi$ion titles, just on principle.

sigpic

Comment

What can they possibly offer that would provide value for the money they want in that service? Guns and maps are certainly not enough.

Comment

thank god(s), now we can all forget about cod, and move on to better games. thank you activision.

like ive been saying for a year now, with these big titles getting worse and worse, mods and other 3rd party games will attract the audience that flee [from cod, halo, etc...].

The revolution will be pixilated! TM (<--thats mine, just thought of it. dont steal it!)

Comment

Take it easy guys. Here is some more info. It's not evil.

http://oneofswords.com/2011/05/what-...of-duty-elite/

http://h4wke.blogspot.com/2011/05/in...rience-at.html

And you can sign up to be a BETA tester here if you want to see what it is and report back -

http://www.callofduty.com/elite

Comment

After reading this article I am forced to rethink my initial post in this thread. It appears that it will not be mandatory to pay the subscription fee but, this business model does seem doomed to fracture and splinter PC communities even more than the DLC has. So, for the time being, I am reserving judgement on this "CoD Elite" business. I am not holding my breath though.

sigpic

Comment

As near as I can tell, this CoD Elite service appears to be a separate entity from Modern Warfare 3. Connected, but not one and the same.

Still, I'm not paying a subscription to play or in some way enhance a CoD title. I did that once for the First Strike DLC, and as good as those maps were I'm no doing that again. Subscription fees are the main reason I haven't played games like World of Warcraft. I'm not going to pass any judgment of MW3, yet. But I will point out that I fail to see how the CoD Elite service will benefit the casual PC community. It appears that the entire focus of CoD Elite is to help players "connect compete and improve." This sounds well and good, and I think this could really benefit the console players, and probably many PC players as well just through the base networking; but the point is this really brings nothing new to the table for the PC crowd. Clans/Guilds/Communities are more firmly entrenched on the PC thanks to dedicated servers. Competitive gaming exists on most titles for the PC on day one, and its easy to find a league or league playing team simply by looking for locked scrim servers. And improvement, heck just watch Po for a couple rounds, or use google and youtube to find tricks, class setups, rate tweaks, etc. As for the optional subscription, we PC players are used to getting a lot of things for free. Console, specifically Xbox players, have to pay a subscription to play online, so I think many of them won't see any problem with shelling out a little bit extra to get that much more out of Call of Duty games.

Additionally, Youtube commentators WoodysGamerTag and Sasbenjr started a service about a year and a half ago (primarily for console players) that already does most of the things that CoD Elite would do. HUPIT Gaming (Helping Unite Players Into Teams)

Anyway, it looks cool and shiny and I think Elite has massive potential for the console community. But I don't think this will benefit the PC crowd as readily as the console users. Therefore, I'd just like to ask everyone to please remember who CoD Elite is being designed for before going off on a rant.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

As long as you can't buy in game enhancements not available to subscribers, I have no real issue with it, if it's as described in the end. There's still paid DLC, just like now, but the subscribers will get free unlock codes for it. Big whoop.

Comment

They will probably do something like making a painfully long grind for non-subscribers while having subscribers simply get access to the stuff earlier. No matter what though, as long as DICE doesn't catch on I won't care.

Former TG-21st
                      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

It's not evil, it's not the end of the world, and it's not compulsory. You can play MW3/BLOPS without Elite (Elit3? Really?).
                        That said, I don't give the remotest toss about CoD any more, so this doesn't bother me either way. Some will pay for it, some won't.
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                          They will probably do something like making a painfully long grind for non-subscribers while having subscribers simply get access to the stuff earlier. No matter what though, as long as DICE doesn't catch on I won't care.
                          I'm betting they are already thinking of how to implement this in BF4/BC4. :(
                          Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

After reading all of the articles I have to wonder why TG would not engage in some manner. It appears that the core service, not the paid for Elite service, would likely help push players towards TG that are looking for tactical, mature gamers (I use mature loosely as Birdie does play COD).

Anyway, I am also totally against the subscription service approach as I am still fighting to cancel stuff my wife activated for the kids ... can't seem to get them to cancel the service and we have 2 remaining subscriptions costing $8 / month.

Open mind for Elite service ... it may be beneficial and the subscription service is optional.
                            |TG-88th| SkinnySpike

Comment

They'll take as much money from us as there are dumb people among us gamers. And judging from past sales they are going to get loaded!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X