No announcement yet.

Update on MW3 Dedicated servers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Update on MW3 Dedicated servers.

Launch is 4 days away and we're still in a holding pattern regarding whether there will be real dedicated servers we can host. Here's the latest post from Quon over at GameServers.com, posted today. Based on the disclaimer, I'm not sure what to think other than that Activision hasn't shown their code to any GSP's yet. From poking around, some of the other GSP's are taking pre-orders and some aren't. I'll update this post as soon as I hear anything new.

[gs] quon
    PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm
    GameServers Officer

After careful consideration and processing the information regarding the upcoming dedicated server for MW3 that we are able to obtain, we will open up our pre-orders for MW3 unranked dedicated servers at some point today/tonight.

Keep in mind, although we are opening pre-orders, we will have wording on the pre-order page that there is still a chance that the hosted unranked dedicated server will not run properly within a GSP. While we will make every attempt to ensure that the title can be properly integrated with our systems, if it should fall short of this, we will issue refunds and/or credits for those that have pre-ordered.

Re: Update on MW3 Dedicated servers.

Latest info from Quon at GameServers.com:

[gs] quon
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 am
    GameServers Officer

"Steam is not needed" is one of many items that needs to be ironed out before launching it live to everyone

Getting a server up and running is also relatively straight forward

To automate the process and to work through some of the limitations that the server currently has and integrating this with our systems is what is being worked on

With that said, there are a few issues that do make the title very GSP un-friendly

1. Does not seem to connect to the master servers 100% giving steam master server errors on startup
    2. 13+ Gigs without any trimming of unnecessary files. Transferring this file size to 25 locations is an extremely long and unnecessary process. At most, a dedicated server is roughly 1 GB or so.
    3. Related to #2, the fs_*path* vars are broken so sharing a single install image is not possible

We will keep at it today to see how ready the server software is to go live

Many of these items are very straight forward and base requirements these days for a dedicated server. It is unfortunate that there was no involvement with the dedicated server prior to release to help prepare things in a more timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
      Launch is 4 days away and we're still in a holding pattern regarding whether there will be real dedicated servers we can host. Here's the latest post from Quon over at GameServers.com, posted today. Based on the disclaimer, I'm not sure what to think other than that Activision hasn't shown their code to any GSP's yet. From poking around, some of the other GSP's are taking pre-orders and some aren't. I'll update this post as soon as I hear anything new.
      I wish the best to the COD fans but this seems like a clusterfeck from Activision. Couple of days before release and COD gamers on PC have no idea how it will play out? How is that going to help sales in the PC Gamer market? Good luck guys I hope it works out for the best for all the TGers anticipating the new title. I thought the commercial comparing BF3 to COD was pretty funny.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Posts regarding dedicated servers up and running here on release day..

http://www.callofduty.com/message/105937387#105937387

Comment

There's still no joy when trying to launch an internet server instance so it's LAN only currently. Lastest info at GameServers.com is that some servers are online but admins are locked out of access to most of the configs that would allow you to do all the customization that was advertised. It appears you can create a map rotation but you cannot change timers or manage wep loadouts, etc., at this time. More as I get it.

Comment

More of the same we experienced when MW2 launched, huh?
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
              More of the same we experienced when MW2 launched, huh?
              MW2 didn't have dedicated servers.

Comment

I kinda liked non-dedicated servers TBH :p the party system worked surprisingly well
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

We'll be getting an 18 player server in the near future. The major issues seem to be sorted. There are a lot more customization options than we had with Black Ops so that's a plus. You'll also be able to use custom kits. More details when we get them.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
                    We'll be getting an 18 player server in the near future. The major issues seem to be sorted. There are a lot more customization options than we had with Black Ops so that's a plus. You'll also be able to use custom kits. More details when we get them.
                    That's really good to hear. Depending on what I get when book buyback comes up at school, I may pick the game up.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                      I kinda liked non-dedicated servers TBH :p the party system worked surprisingly well
                      There still is a party system if you choose to use it. That's what we're using until the dedi is up. I'm not 100% sure but, we should be able to use it with the dedi's too.

Comment

sweeeettttt :D
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I'm still rather sad that they didn't allow them to be ranked servers. Heck everyones already cheating and prestigeing themselves anyways, so it's not like a ranked server would help people cheat any more than they already are.

Comment

Originally posted by Size12point5 View Post
                            MW2 didn't have dedicated servers.
                            I was referring to that last minute news that we wouldn't get dedicated servers. Just further proof they don't have their act together.
                            |TG|Melee
                            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...