Room Clearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room Clearing

There are quite a few indoor areas in COD4 and sometimes necessary to move through to reach the objective. Prepping for room clearing should be fast. The actual room clearing should be methodical yet quick in order to unleash the fireteam's firepower into the room as quickly as possible. It takes a lot of training to get this right and I'm going to be explaining it in detail. This is my interpretation of quickly preparing and executing a room clearing procedure for COD4.

Preparation
    1. Stack the door.
    2. Check for explosives.
    3. Decide on the type of tactical aid to use (flash/stun/frag)

Stacking on the door can be done in a couple of ways. The concept is to stand in a line starting from the door frame. It minimizes exposure to whatever is inside the room. Sometimes it may be too crowded to stack on one side of the door frame so the line may be split into two with a line on each side of the door frame. Be sure to coordinate the order of entry by stating which side enters first. At least one person should have the bomb squad perk. He should speak up if any explosive devices are detected.

Last, pick a tactical aid and use it before breaching. Flashes are good for completely disorienting a player but only effective if looking at it. Stun is good against this but the player can still see. Grenades are good for destroying claymores as well as anyone unlucky enough to be close enough. Use multiple tactical aids (ie. flash + frag) if controlling the room is very important.

Indicating intent for a room clear can be done easily by saying:
    Stack left side of door. Flash and clear.
    Breaching
    1. Use tactical aid(s).
    2. Enter quickly.
    3. Check corners.

The type of tactical aid will determine where to throw it but generally put it in the center of the room. Frags might have to be thrown closer to explosive devices that aren't typically in the center of the room. It might be beneficial to put a frag in a corner to flush a hiding enemy. Cook the frag by holding the frag button down for a couple seconds. Release to throw. This decreases the amount of time the enemy has to run away. Cold breaching (not using a tactical aid) is not recommended but may be necessary to save tactical aids for more important rooms.

Enter the room quickly in order to make space for your teammates. Getting more guns into the room faster can overwhelm any defender. It's risky but speed is essential in room clearing. At the very least, don't stand in the doorway and block anybody else from helping you clear the room.

Check those corners and behind any objects. This is where defenders will hide/wait for you. Hopefully your tactical aid will spook or stun him for an easy kill.

The entire procedure can be prepped and performed in under a minute. Don't waste time deciding what to do. Waiting increases the chances the enemy hears your chatter (eavesdrop perk) or movement. Room clearing doesn't have to perfectly follow any textbook procedure that's used in real life. My procedure isn't 100% realistic but neither is the game. My explanation should add a feeling of tactical game play and help teams quickly organize themselves.

- It's who you game with.

Re: Room Clearing

Sounds good but one thing is if you are detected is then one nade, by the enemy in the room, and your whole squad is gone.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
      Sounds good but one thing is if you are detected is then one nade, by the enemy in the room, and your whole squad is gone.
      I'm not quite sure what that means but I think you're trying to say one enemy frag can take out the team. Is that after the team enters the room or when the team is stacked on the door?
      Last edited by kin3; 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Stacked at the door.

I'm not a very good communicator.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

The entire procedure is supposed to be executed quickly. Noise is a problem but that can be fixed by crouching while moving near the building. In fact, I forgot to mention that the man in front should be crouching to allow the second man to fire unobstructed.

Comment

Room Clearing Technique 101:

Ensure shotgun is fully loaded with buckshot.
            Enter room, let the boom stick do the talking.
            Rinse and repeat as needed.
            ;)

No I like your way better Sarc, even if you only have two people it's better to rush in at once then to hesitate. I have seen it many times that one guy goes in and the other waits 2 to 3 seconds. It gives the defender enough time to take down #1 and engage #2. The other thing I have seen and I have no idea why people do this but they toss a stun gernade or a flash bang into a room or hallway and then sit there for 5 seconds before trying to breach!? All you accomplish is to put the defender at high alert and possibly even time to re position for a better shot as you enter. The key I think is to hit the room with the flashbang and then storm in as soon as it has gone off. It gives you at least a few seconds to get the upper hand.

Nice write up.:)

Comment

Breaching a door way with 2 people can put off a defender who is partially stunned because he is presented with two targets and has to take a moment to decide which on to engage. One person rushing in is only good if the occupant/s are totally stunned. If not then you'll most likely die. Breaching needs multiple people.
              Jex.

Comment

Exactly Jex. I read somewhere a long time ago about the human brain and having two or more targets appear at the same time. Basically it forces them to take a moment to asses the targets and pick one to engage. Sure he may take one of you but not often he will take both because of this split second delay. Add in the use of a stun or flash bang and you gain an edge for both breachers.

I would love to see a time when the server is not busy to set up some breaching practice. It wouldn't take more then 4 to 6 people to make it work in a variety of scenarios.

Comment

The use of geomtry to clear a room is also something to take into consideration.
                  Personally I think you would try to be as careful with a live nade and not overly stress it by bouncing it off walls. Which you can do in the CoD series with a great effect.

Bouncing a nade of a door sill or wall to obtain the desired area of destination. This procedure can allow you to introduce the explosive into the room with a reduced risk or harm to your team.
                  Is not to be overlooked when trying to enter a room with a possible enemy.
                  The addition of the stun nade is perhaps the single greatest upgrade to the gameplay system. Allowing a breach scenario to be carried out with a reduced risk for loss of life to your team.

Comment

Just my added 2 cents...
                    CoD4 is a little to fast paced for true house to house clearing, but the principles are still all the same... below is a copy/paste from one small section of the TG SWAT SOP:

Movements:
                    -Hallways: Teams of two move down a hallway, officer 1 directs the movement, while officer 2 is slightly behind and just right of officer 1. Any doors on the left are covered by 1 while doors on the right are covered by 2. Both officers NEVER cross in front of a door or area without clearing it first.

-Staircases: Teams of two moves up or down stairs, 1 watch up or down in the direction the team is moving, officer 2 walks backwards covering the rear or high ground. Unless there is another team to cover the rear while that team moves up and clears the stairs. You stop at the top or bottom of the stairs (depending on direction moving) while the element re-stacks.

Stacking:
                    Stacking up on a door or entry is the most important key to proper room entry. A "regular" stack is 1 at the left side of the door, 2 on the right, 3 on the left side behind officer 1, and 4 on the right behind 2, (1 and 2 enter together, then 3 and 4 together.) A "stack left" is where you stack in a line on the left side of a door in numerical order. "Stack right" is the same but stacked on the right of the door. Usually when one side is a danger zone and unsafe to be on that side.

Basic Entry:
                    A basic entry is where there are no known contacts or subjects on the other side. Officer 1 opens the door, enters going left, with officer 2 right behind him. Then officer 3 moves in and goes right, followed by officer 4. The all clear is given for each room.

Specialized Entries:
                    Specialized entries are when you know or think there’s a subject or hostage in the room. These are default combat entries but the first officer in ALWAYS goes strait to the known contact. Then the back up officer goes opposite, covering other danger areas.

-Button Hook: A button hook is where officer 1 enters and goes left and stops on the left side of the inside of door covering 9 o'clock. Officer 2 enters and goes right, just inside the door and covers 3 o'clock. If more officers, then 3 enters and goes left covering 10 o'clock, followed by 4 going right and cover 2 o'clock. Your all close to the door, you don't go in deep, just within 5 yards of the door. But NEVER block the door.

-Criss Cross: A criss cross is where officer 1 enters from the left and goes kind of strait to the right side of the inside door, covering 3 o'clock, followed by officer 2 from the right to the left covering 9 o'clock. Other officer’s criss cross, 3 from the left to the right to cover 2 o'clock, and 4 from the right to the left to cover 2 o'clock. Criss cross is a faster entry because your moving strait, but dangerous with a teammate walking in front of you.

-Starburst: A starburst is usually used when entering a big area, it’s the same as a button hook, but you move further into the room, and each 4 man officer covers 1/4th of the room. You move into the room in order, you get to the center of the room, and your backs are all together. 1 covers 6 o’clock (the door you entered) to 9 o’clock, 2 covers 6 o’clock to 3 o’clock, 3 covers from 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock, and finally 4 from 3 o’clock to 12 o’clock.

-Penetration: A penetration entry is another large room entry. All officers enter; move down to position on the entry wall, and then all face and cover 12 o’clock. Then in a line formation and upon the element leaders command you move slowly towards 12 o’clock clearing everything.
                    1 enters left of door and moves all the way down wall to the left, 2 follows stopping halfway between 1 and the door, 3 then enters and goes right all the way down, then finally 4 enters right and goes halfway to 3 and the door. The Element Leader then takes the door position.
                    the full document:
                    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/swat-4-...gamer-sop.html

I know there has been a couple of times I was playing and said to a partner standing next to me:
                    "Button Hook, I'll go left, you right, GO!"
                    and he was like "HUH?"

With just you and a partner (2 man team, in any tactical game, you should never be alone), as your moving to an objective or target, enter and clearing buildings, simply slow down... just a tad, and at each door someone say "Button Hook, I'm left" (the other will know to go right), or Criss Cross (good for seeing someone in a corner faster... but don't get stuck in a door way, caller always goes first (since no time in CoD4 to assign stick numbers.)

JMO...use it or don't. ;)
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Those terms are perfect and should be read by everybody. We can still do fairly fancy entries but it'll take a bit of practice. Still, setting up for an entry is quick. We can do simple ones at first and move up to more complicated entries as time goes on. We can do this!

Comment

I agree, both nice write ups
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                          Exactly Jex. I read somewhere a long time ago about the human brain and having two or more targets appear at the same time. Basically it forces them to take a moment to asses the targets and pick one to engage. Sure he may take one of you but not often he will take both because of this split second delay. Add in the use of a stun or flash bang and you gain an edge for both breachers.

I would love to see a time when the server is not busy to set up some breaching practice. It wouldn't take more then 4 to 6 people to make it work in a variety of scenarios.
                          Adding to this the first guy in should run long, presenting a moving target whilst the 2nd moves in to clear. Hopefully this will increase the survival rate of the first player through the door
                          Jex.

Comment

my idea would be to stack up on both sides of door (if possible), flash and have the first 2 guys in the door to run in and crouch while the next 2 guys come in and stand behind them. This makes a good fire team, due to the fact that there is a human shield in front but the 4 guns would have the potential to take out an entire room of guys if played in the correct fashion
                            We're not retreating, we're advancing in another direction

Comment

There really isnt any further discussion on this after you read this:

Sorry for the ugly print.

4 Man Stack to Breach

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...