Directional Awareness for Contact Reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directional Awareness for Contact Reports

There seems to be some issue with figuring out direction without a compass. I propose a solution to effectively communicate with each other positions of interest in a S&D match.

Establish North
    Since there is no compass, the team can just make up which direction is north. It won't matter if it isn't true north because it's just a game.

North can easily be established by assuming it is the direction facing the objectives. Keep the A & B objectives on your left and right. If a person were in the middle with the objectives on the left and right and spawn at the rear, north would be facing the approximate enemy spawn. Left would be west, right is east and rear (spawn) is south.

Positions of Interest
    Even if there isn't a compass direction established, a lot of activity will be around sites A and B and the middle of the map. Defenders will most likely be at either of these locations. Attackers will be moving towards A or B or flanking to either objective from the middle.

When there's enemy activity detected, pick A, B or the middle as the name for the position of interest. If you're communicating with somebody in your immediate vicinity, you can give more detail using landmarks (bombed out building on the right of objective). Keep everything relative to a point of view where the front is facing the enemy spawn. Since the A and B markers are always visible, establish this direction at the beginning of the round.

The maps are small and usually setup similarly where the objectives are in between the team spawns. The cargo ship map is a good one to practice these ways of communicating. It's very linear and the objectives are distinctly on opposite sides of the ship (port and starboard). The enemy spawn is always directly away from your own spawn. Practice getting used to identify interest points this way and you can quickly give a better idea of what's going on and where it's happening to your teammates.

- It's who you game with.

Re: Directional Awareness for Contact Reports

Nice idea....

I've been calling out compass directions by looking at the map (esc button), and calling the top of the map north, and so on. Dunno if people know what I'm talking about when ingame, but at least I'm trying. =D

It's still hard for me to call out landmarks, cause alot of the maps have similar buildings. Hopefully I'll get better at describing landmarks, the more I play the maps.
    Vir-Chew-All!!

"I'm blind to you.... haters! Can't touch me, war instigators!" - Collie Buddz
    "I really was about to call a whaaaaambulance! Less whining, more winning!" - Vir2L

Comment

UnDeaD found some great maps (<---- CLICKY!) that give a lot of landmarks some simple names to go by. I've been trying to use them, but I'm... well... a Clodhopper, heh. Still, have worked, am still trying to memorize them a bit, so I can be a little quicker when calling out locations.
      -

Comment

I think we will be modding back to compass and mini map, they need to be brought back just for this sort of thing.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
          I think we will be modding back to compass and mini map, they need to be brought back just for this sort of thing.
          Not really. I think we've been adapting pretty well without the compass. It simplifies things a bit since reports are described relative to what is seen instead of a directional concept. The maps are small and directions aren't the problem. It's the descriptions of landmarks that are the problem. We have to become familiar with the maps and also better at describing map features.

And the mini-map is quite unnecessary. It shows friendlies on map and I don't think we really need that. It's more fun to organize ourselves without fancy aids. It's a bit more real that doesn't hinder game play for organized players. It's nice to get it back with UAVs for that little tactical advantage once in a while.

Comment

A directional guide can make things run a lot smoother though, even when you're able to distinguish landmarks and call them out... calling out which SIDE of the structure would be absolutely valuable, such as "Contact, east side of construction yard" or "Contact, moving east inside construction yard". As opposed to "contact, construction yard" or "contact, outside contstruction yard".

I understand the maps are small, but that doesn't make it less effective to know exactly where that tango was, as opposed to second guessing until you manage to spot (or be spotted by) that tango.

Would be nice to be able to say that, and have everyone know exactly what you're talking about.
            -

Comment

If you have the time to describe a compass bearing and have the other player have the time to interpret it, then there's plenty of time to also clarify without a compass bearing. Some forget that it also takes time to look at your compass to figure out which side of a building is east. Using time to look down at a compass can lead players to miss enemies running across their field of vision.

Comment

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :row__642:

I personally find having a compass easier to figure out which direction is which. Usually by the time I know which is which, looking at the compass is a thing of the past. Also, this way, everyone is on the same path. There is a universal north, not my interpretation of it.
                -

Comment

One of the reasons why I suggested a team's northern direction is toward the enemy is that it doesn't require a compass. It's always the same direction that you're facing when you spawn. It's a simple solution that I'm posting for discussion.

Comment

Okay, so since they will be modding it back in, do you have any objections?

Your way isn't bad for those in the know, but for pubbies, you will have to explain.

Comment

It seems that most TG players want compass bearings when making contact reports so this was just a suggestion so that the server wouldn't have to be modded. I'm actually more inclined to use descriptions instead of compass bearings. I feel it's unnecessary on the small maps with such fast action.

We have the overhead maps and are currently well organized without the compass. I feel that any improvement in game play will have to come from the way players can adapt to different game situations rather than getting to use compasses and mini-maps.

It's also not much to explain that north is always the direction the team faces when spawning.

Comment

If the server goes unranked then I would say the compass is a nice additon. I understand what your saying Sarc about using simple orientation tactics for your team but I find that a compass is more universall. If the compass is the only change being made and it will cause us to go unranked then I would prefer Sarcs method to preserve the rank.

I don't think however that we need the mini map brought back. If I need to know if we have lost all defenders at site A I hit esc and check quickly. I like that to check the map it takes you out of battle temporarily. It's a comprimise that you have to make and if people are using VOIP the map isn't needed as often. With the mini map on these small maps it reduces the need for a team to communicate. Even with larger maps I think the same applies. A mini map isn't going to be the end of the world but I like the current system and the constant VOIP reports.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X