Bomb Carrier Calls the Shots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bomb Carrier Calls the Shots

Something that I've noticed is that the bomb carrier is expected to call out where he wants to plant. It makes sense because he's the one that plants the bomb. What I propose is to give leadership responsibility to the bomb carrier. He's the one that has to stay alive and is not exposed. He's got lots of time to think about team decisions. The carrier should be concerned with three responsibilities.

Bomb Carrier Responsibilities
    1. Decides where to plant the bomb.
    2. Decides the route to the bomb site.
    3. Is the primary initiator for strategic changes.

It seems like a pretty simple list of responsibilities and it should be. Leading the team isn't a difficult task. It does take a good understanding of how games play out but the most important part is making quick decisions. It doesn't even have to be a good decision. Since this is a game, the leader is allowed to screw up but the benefit is the team was guided and can learn from any mistakes.

Deciding where to plant the bomb is a really simple task. It's either A or B. You can get fancy and try switching it up or hitting the same spot each time but I don't think it matters too much. Setting the plant site gives the team an objective, which is most important.

Figuring out a route to the bomb site is a bit more complicated. If the player doesn't know the map too well then it's best to let the team lead the carrier to the bomb site. It's still pretty simple though. There are basically 2 routes; through the middle or directly to the site. The carrier should also ensure somebody is watching the rear in case of a flank. Or, a flanking team may be dispatched for a distraction.

Strategic changes during the round is the most difficult for the bomb carrier. It can still be a simple task if the carrier pays attention to what is going on and listens to contact reports. It is the responsibility of the bomb carrier to know when a flank falls and get sitreps after engagements. This responsibility boils down to the necessity of whether the chosen bomb site is too heavily defended for planting. Change planting sites if necessary.

A player should be prepared for these responsibilities when picking up the bomb. It requires quick decisions to manage the team's movement and understand the overall team status. Remember: Where do you want to plant the bomb? How do you want to get there? What happens if the plan didn't work?

- It's who you game with.

Re: Bomb Carrier Calls the Shots

The one pre-req for this, which has been a problem as of late, the bomb carrier needs to actually get the bomb before everyone runs off. Whats been happening lately is most everyone runs around the bomb like its infected with some disease, while those who hang back play chicken until someone gives. Quite funny, but probably not the best situation.

Comment

I did notice that yesterday. We all sort of form a circle around it as if it's a bonfire. lol

I ended up grabbing the bomb after a few seconds because waiting any longer can give the defenders too much time to set up. Maybe players just feel the responsibility oozing from the bomb and don't want to pick it up. I'm more than happy to pick it up though.

Comment

I couldnt agree with this post more. The person taking the bomb is basically the leader, you picked up the bomb for a reason so lets plan. If you dont want to plan then dont take the bomb. Great post sarc
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I pickup the bomb a lot lately just because no one seems to want to carry it. I'm going to do like the rest sometime and just let it lay there. I want to see what happens then. The big problems seems to be that the bomb carrier leads the way and can put the bomb in a difficult spot when he dies. (i'm guilty of that) And when the bomb carrier calls a target half the team goes the other way. Then the bomb gets planted and half the team is on the other side of the map and can't help defend.
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

I think your spot on, the bomb carrier needs to make a quick, simple decision and call out the bomb site. Everything else after that is really up to the team. If the bomb carrier makes a decision to switch sites or routes mid round the team is free to give input etc. The team though should be semi magnetised to the bomb carrier unless specific strategy is outlined to flank or run up the middle. I found that if the bomb carrier has a mic and calls the site, people follow, if he doesn't some follow while other wander.

The last few days no one seems to want to touch the bomb and I know I'm guilty of this as well. I think people are affraid to make a mistake or even use their mic. I seem to die so quickly and often that I feel someone else would be better suited to make the call and carry the bomb. The problem though with the slight delay with us all looking at the bomb and waiting is the defenders can push further up the map on us.

I promise to step up and carry the bomb more often :)

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
              The one pre-req for this, which has been a problem as of late, the bomb carrier needs to actually get the bomb before everyone runs off. Whats been happening lately is most everyone runs around the bomb like its infected with some disease, while those who hang back play chicken until someone gives. Quite funny, but probably not the best situation.
              I experienced the same thing. After 3 goes in a row with me grabbing the bombn, I held back and everybody avoided it like the plague. This has got to stop. Leaving someone else to carry the bomb whilst you go off and kill stuff is not team work - take your fair share of the load.
              Jex.

Comment

I've seen this problem as well... I think most are just intimidated by any resonsibility to the team. That or people think this is sabotage, and you've got a big red arrow pointing down, with the word "KILL" :row__642:

I don't really know how to remedy this though, we need to get people comfortable with taking on the leadership role. Lead by example, I suppose.

On that note, anyone who DOESN'T have the bomb needs to be listening to the guy WITH the bomb. If you want to call the shots, step up or stand in line :)
                -

Comment

I as well have seen this all too often. I usually pick up the bomb, since everyone has moved off. I think this will subsidea as we all become more comfortable with the game and its mechanics. My other reason for carrying the bomb is that I usually die quickly and I might as well do something for my team. Another issue I have seen is the lack of surpressive fire. If the bomb carrier is moving to a certain location, go ahead a lay down some fire and keep the opposing teams heads down. I know it gives away your position, but the primary mission is to get the BC to the plant site.
                  "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

shoot man, the problem with surpressive fire in hardcore is the game is pretty much a one shot kill. Giving your position away is almost suicide. One shot one kill from pretty much every weapon is one reason this game is turning into a hunting game. Guys are scared to show up at the bomb site unless there are only just a couple of guys left on the enemy's team.

Comment

Oddly, suppressive fire is pretty good with suppressed weapons. There isn't a muzzle flash or sound to draw attention. Although, suppressive fire doesn't have to be constant. A burst or two is enough to get attention but it can also put some heads down.

What we need to realize is that the bomb carrier doesn't have to be in front. He can be in the middle protected by his teammates. He can also fire back at the enemy. If he dies, the bomb can be picked up again. The team just has to hope the bomb carrier wasn't in a compromising position, which shouldn't happen with the team surrounding him.

Comment

I try to use suppressive fire as best I can. I find I use the support guns alot and that is part of there job after all. The problem is that as you surpress one area some body usually snipes you from another. I think what we need to do is call out the surpresive fire more. If people don't realise that your trying to surpress they may sit tight until your done which negates the point. Second if your surpressing an area and your team charges in it takes some heat off of the surpressor as there are more targets in view for the defenders to worry about. Either way more communicaiton on supressive fire should help its effectiveness and encourage it use. I love nothing more then to open up with my M60 on that second story sniper hole

As for the bomb man leading, I find sometimes people hang behind him and wait for him to make the first move on the bomb site. Really it should be his job to pick the site and then wait for the team to breach and/or secure the area. Not saying he can't get into the fight but he doesn't always need to be the first guy through the door.

Comment

I agree with Sarc, hes a smart cookie ^^

Comment

I wait on Server 1 a bit, because I want to give any new guys a chance to take it, if no one wants to then ill take it.

In terms of suppresive fire - if you're worried about return fire, then you're in the wrong spot to be dealing it.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato
                            "Whiskey, yet again, will have my babies." -TheSkudDestroyer

Comment

Thought I would chime in with regard to CoD:WW running the SOGmod at TG. The mod provides an actual Squad Leader position. When some one has the SL kit, they are the SL for the squad, offense and defense, so they call the shots. They can assign bomb duty to any squad member. For example, I like to have someone with Demo kit carry the bomb. They can clear a path to the objective with their metal detector and then plant bettys or satchels on it.

Please don't pick the SL kit unless you plan on actually leading your squad.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X