Suppresive Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppresive Fire

Suppresive Fire to me is laying down a stream of fire to a dedicated spot.
    This can server many purposes for your team.

The role of suppressive fire to pin down an opponent.
    The tactical maneuvering of your team mates may rest on you laying down a stream of lead.
    So your opponents can hopefully pull back to a more secure position. Which is because of the fear of getting hit. Thus allowing your team to perform a tactic that would otherwise be more dangerous than it already is.

Your role is not essentially to kill the opponent. Though the incapacitation or the neutralizing of an enemy is not bad. The whole concept is to keep the enemy down and hopefully ignorant of the surroundings with your team that just happens to be in those surrounding.
    So while you can expect a customer to pass through an area to attack or defend a target. You can also lay down some suppressive fire so your team can advance in a direction with as minimal resistance that can be achieved.

----
    Now you may think how I can I apply this to CoD4.
    Here are some examples that I use when trying to defend or attack a position.

If I see a smoke cloud bursting out in front of me.
    I shoot directly into it. The enemy is trying to either fake a maneuver or actually use the smoke as cover. So if they are using the smoke as a cover. I can hopefully tag some customers as they run through it or hopefully make them think twice or three times about using that particular smoke as cover.

Area denial.
    The thing about any game is that it's not real. The intent is to gain the maximum entertainment value out of a code structure. So with that said the field of play is not exactly as vast as the real world which is expressed as maps for CoD4.
    With time we all become familiar with the ins and outs of a map.
    Where to stand where not to stand and fire from.

Re: Suppresive Fire

A lot of us are afraid to use suppressive fire because it's a big sign above your head indicating where you are. The trick is to use short bursts so you can get back behind cover. It doesn't have to be a constant hammering of the enemy position.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Some people might consider this spraying.
      -F- Darksteel

Comment

I actually dont think any game has suppressive fire because this isnt real life.

The only reason suppressive fire works in real life is because its scary to have tons of bullets flying over your head. Although having one life in a video game attempts to make it scary to wait 2 more minutes before you can play again, it doesn't really do anything because the sprayer's aim will become worse the more he fires, and thus make it really easy for the "suppressed" guy to simply pop up and one shot him.

The only way I see a video game ever making suppressive fire actually work is if they force you to go prone, haze your vision, and distort your sound when bullets are flying over your head. This isnt the case in COD4.

Comment

SF can work on denying enemy movement. Whilst defending an S&D target, you can use SF to deny access through choke points. To be able to acheive this, you need to be in a good position that give you cover from your flanks. You also need your team mates working up on the flank. Even with artificial lives, not many are going to run through a doorway that has bullets coming out of it.

It's a rare tactic to use, but can buy valuable seconds on defending a ticking bomb forcing an attacker to take an alternate route.
          Jex.

Comment

I use it on our server sometimes. It doesn't have to be a constant stream but it does need to be more then a single shot every 20 seconds. I think that on S&D it can work well due to having one life. On a respawn server it becomes less effective as Santa pointed out.

Last night on Bloc it worked well. We had 3 of us in the B side building attempting to supress the A side buildings snipers. I had a G3 (with deep penetration perk) and just kept taking shots at known areas, and I would move around a bit if I came under fire. It worked fairly well becuase the rounds before the defenders were setting up good fire positions from there and picking us off where as this time they couldn't move freely to get into position.

I also like to spary down a road or alley that my team is crossing just to prevent anyone from poking their head out. It also draws attention to me instead of the bomb carrier/forward element. You just have to pick your spots carefully and not linger to much.

Comment

Its usefull to just draw attention so that your guys can sneak past to the other side becasuse if you use sporadic SF you can trick unwary minds into thinking that there are more than one guys goin to that objective. I usually volunteer to do this by myself and it works out pretty nicely because by the time im dead my guys have moved in to the objective setup a defensive position so our guy can plant and we can defend it so that anyone who runs to the bomb site will get a nice little present consisting if a clip full of lead into their faces
              We're not retreating, we're advancing in another direction

Comment

If not done as a team then you just die.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I only ever use SF when I am running with my LMG kit (which isn't often on TG servers). The few times I have used my LMG kit and laid down some SF, it was in 5-10 round bursts every 3-5 seconds aimed at a choke point. It seemed to be very effective in keeping the enemy pinned down.

sigpic

Comment

Works in real life. In a videogame, the other players just complain that you're "spraying", as if you're a male cat marking your territory or something. They then peek out from behind cover (after all, death is only permanent in real life) and put a round in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                      I actually dont think any game has suppressive fire because this isnt real life.

The only reason suppressive fire works in real life is because its scary to have tons of bullets flying over your head. Although having one life in a video game attempts to make it scary to wait 2 more minutes before you can play again, it doesn't really do anything because the sprayer's aim will become worse the more he fires, and thus make it really easy for the "suppressed" guy to simply pop up and one shot him.

The only way I see a video game ever making suppressive fire actually work is if they force you to go prone, haze your vision, and distort your sound when bullets are flying over your head. This isnt the case in COD4.
                      Ever play Americas Army and your CEM(Combat Effectiveness Meter) goes way down and you cant hit anything lol? Its very nice lol.
                      Sorry I only play Hardcore!

Pain and suffering are inevitable, misery is not!

Comment

America's Army is the only game that correctly implements the suppressing fire effect on soldier. Call of duty engine is not made that way, and I'm afraid that Patton's saying "American soldiers must shoot to move (maneuver)" doesn't stand in this game.

Suppressing fire in Call of Duty looks more like "hey, I'm here, kill me".

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                          ^This is almost exactly what Project Reality does =)

Originally posted by TomHighway View Post
                          Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                            A lot of us are afraid to use suppressive fire because it's a big sign above your head indicating where you are. The trick is to use short bursts so you can get back behind cover. It doesn't have to be a constant hammering of the enemy position.
                            A good way to use Suppresive fire is to quickly pop your head up, and see the enemy position, then pop up again with your sights raised on that spot, fire at it, if it kills him, gj, if not, DUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by TomHighway View Post
                              America's Army is the only game that correctly implements the suppressing fire effect on soldier. Call of duty engine is not made that way, and I'm afraid that Patton's saying "American soldiers must shoot to move (maneuver)" doesn't stand in this game.

Its effective if you know how to do it, otherwise, your screwed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X