Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpful tips on patches / reinstalls.

Hello everyone.

When patch 1.4 hit, it boned my installation. I had to reinstall the game. One thing I learned is that Windows Vista users can have their profiles (where your character data is) saved in 2 different places, depending on the setting of their OS.

With User Account Control (UAC) turned on:
    C:/Users/<windows username>/Appdata/Local/Virtualstore/Activision

Without UAC:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players

Backup this folder before patching or reinstalling your game. I had to start from scratch because I unknowingly deleted my character as part of the uninstall / reinstall process.

I'm pretty sure that Windows XP folks should see this data in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\application data\Activision\... (or something close to it).

UAC is an evil thing. It keeps hosing up which applications can run on Windows startup, and causes all kinds of evil things. It enforces a seperation of credentials, which is almost required now a days for security's sake. But since UAC sucks in Vista, I do it the old fashion way: UAC turned off, 2 user accounts, and the second one has no admin rights. The 2nd one is what I use to play games / internet / etc with. You can right click programs and such, choose Run As, and type in the admin username / password if you don't want to switch to the admin account to do program installations. This simple practice is almost as useful as an entire anti-virus program.

I thought that might be helpful information for people for future patches that come out.

Anyone else have a little pearl of wisdom?
    sigpic
    Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Re: Helpful tips on patches / reinstalls.

UAC probably isn't evil; it sounds like you just don't understand it. Try to find a third-party application for managing it or some third-party documentation, because I can guarantee Microsoft won't help you with their own software, and they use the most obscure terms for everything they make.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

On XP, my profile data is stored in the "C:/Program Files/Activision/...." folder.

Comment

Oh, I understand it. It automates the separation of credentials, and in a very lousy way. Great concept, poor execution.
        sigpic
        Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X