Map Downloads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Downloads

This is about CoD4 but could well apply to other games.

I play here @ TG but because I'm a Brit I also play over here due to the time lag issues, we're 7 hours ahead over here.

My problem I find I need to dl the maps twice once for UK and then for TG as the servers as playing similar maps.

Is it possible to copy across from my UK user folder into the my TG user folder for this game as often when I dl from TG it can take 12+ minutes.

Thanks
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Map Downloads

Yes you can as they are the same maps. Just put them in the proper folders.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Cheers thanks Bubba
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Woah, there partner... (I can say that I am from Texas!)

The maps should only need to be downloaded once. Read that sentence as incomplete as it is, again.

The maps don't actually go into the mod folder.
        The maps go into a specific folder named "usermaps".
        If you play on a server running custom maps. They will have a folder in your "mod" folder with the .iwd files and mod files. The only thing you should be downloading is the .iwd file which is 2 or at the most 4MB big. Which would take you about 8-20 seconds to download from a 300kB/sec download speed.
        So more than likely you are downloading a different version of the map. Somewhere else if the files are bigger than the 2-4MB in size or .ff files which the maps are packaged as.
        Now if you are downloading the .iwd file from the server. You may run into problems with PB and the server itself. When you copy the .iwd file from another server. Because they may not be the exact same. Either because of a change in version or the server admin has done some housecleaning to the .iwd to make it run nicer with their server. Problems you can run into can range from the harmless at first to not likely but "possible" nasty problems if you try to connect too many times and succeed "Impure Client" or "File Mismatch error/iwd sum name mismatch".

There is alot of double talk and stuff.. but I need to attend to something.
        Hit me up on TS or PM if you want a further clarification.

Comment

EUGH!
          I think I'm dl the same maps each time but played under a different mod Ie we use the TRM while my old clan run AWE4.
          I wondered if I could just copy and paste from one to the other as dl from the usa can sometimes take many minutes.

Seems I just stop moaning and wait my time as long as it is, just that it's a bit gauling late at night to have to dl a 12min map only to find when I have done that that the map has rotated. Hence my can I copy across question.

One other thing Amu are you saying my pc will know if I have the right map and only copy the .iwd file [as you say only seconds to do]

Regards
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

If you already played the map on the TG server for example and have it downloaded.
            The game knows you have that map already and will only make you download the .iwd file.
            IF the map is exactly the same version.

Since they are running AWE4 the game server needs to reference that mod folder and loads the .iwd files in that folder.

Of course if the maps were made correctly there would be no need for the .iwd files in the mod folder at all.

Comment

OK Amu if I understand you correctly providing I have the same version of a map I can straight transfer it to my TG map mod folder then when that maps pops up in the rotation all I will d/l will be the .iwd bit @ less that a minute.

Any thing that saves me time trying to do a d/l over the Atlantic and down to Dallas which is some 3000+ miles away for me would be great.

Cheers
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

i only have the maps in one location. my /usermaps/ folder. All you should have to do is copy the .iwd files to whatever folder for whatever mod you are going to play on is named.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X