Extending Maps - Majority

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending Maps - Majority

I thought it might be a welcome addition for a way to extend a map (ie first team to 12/15/whatever wins).
    This would be useful for the times when people are really enjoying their time at a map and wish to play it again, but there is no admin about. I'll give a brief explanation on how I think it might work:

A player types the following:
    voteextend

This sends the following to each player in the server (a vote):
    Do you wish to extend the map to x wins?
    1. Yes
    2. No

If yes is chosen by x% (75% imo), then the win requirement is extended to a value decided best by the admins who implemented this (IF they do)

I've found a longing for something like this lately. I've had some great games lately, and hate to see the map changed sometimes, to one people do not want to play as much.

Re: Extending Maps - Majority

I'm not sure that this would be such a good idea, the simple fact being, 80-90% of the time we have an admin or t-admin on the server that can change the map. That is, if the proper majority of players wants to do so. Maybe it could be a tool for admins and t-admins if they think that the people playing are really enjoying the map. That way they don't have to re-load the map or anything.

|CS:S Dev Team|

root: I do it to
    steve: OMG
    steve: TOO
    root: ****ing hell
    root: Spelling nazi down! MEDIC!

Go ahead, you know you all envy me, I corrected root's grammar :D

Comment

That would be very nearly just as effective, really. So that there is a command to allow admins/T-admins to make a real vote and see actual results, instead of a screen-spam full of "1/2/map_name". What I suggested isn't a perfect idea, and given the community, playing style, etc., I think Steve's mod would be much prefered. Although, it doesn't change much =P Though would be useful I think.

Comment

On server 2, I can roll with something like that. But for server 1, there are some maps that you hope one of the teams will reach 9 wins as fast as possible. Plus, on server 1 a map change is needed to stop the pain if you are on a team that just lost 9 in a row. If you extend the agoney (i.e more wins required), people will drop from the server from fustration.
        Let the admins change if needed, they are always watching! :icon_eek: See, they are watching now!!! Hide!
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

lol @ bigC.

I think that temp admins have enough resources currently available to them. We make use of them to manage guests on our server who cannot act in an acceptable way. We also give them the ability to change maps on demand, which means you don't get stuck playing view, ahem, rubbish.

What might be possible is for admins to extend the winlimit. We have access to the command to do this, but I don't know whether the server will take any notice, even if we change it at the start of the map.

This goes on my to-do list as low priority.

Root
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I would agree with poe on this one, I've played dozens of games where people complained about maps asked where the admins were and then left, mostly in the mid-afternoon time period (2:00pm-5:00) when most kids, including myself, are getting home from school. So, either adding a voting feature or finding more t-admins to be able to get on during these times would do wonders.
            Just my thoughts,
            Catch

Comment

In that case, maybe it could be a priviledge given to a select few people who play on a regular basis, and who are respoible enough to take command in this situation. These select people being those of us who are not SM's or full admins. There are a handful of people here who are not SM's who I think would enjoy having a little bit of power, this would be a nice tool. The script probably wouldnt be too easy to write though. Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSteve
                In that case, maybe it could be a priviledge given to a select few people who play on a regular basis, and who are respoible enough to take command in this situation. These select people being those of us who are not SM's or full admins. There are a handful of people here who are not SM's who I think would enjoy having a little bit of power, this would be a nice tool. The script probably wouldnt be too easy to write though. Just an idea.
                Originally posted by Uncle Ben
                "With great power, comes great responsibility."
                Administrator-like powers isn't for the fun, it's for improving gameplay for the community. There are times when you might be required to sacrifice your gametime, and maybe even fun and enjoyment, to what you need to do.

In the case you mentioned though, it would be beneficial to those with the ability to give the players what they want - a specific map.

Comment

a lot of the time im the only person with ANY admin power on before about 4pm central when i get off....anyway, i digress. i would REALLY like to see an extend/mapvote tool added at least for t-admins to initiate. i have a REALLY hard time taking counts on how many want one map you often have 3 people saying the map they want over and over...you almost have to write down who wants what...i do think voting for the next map would be a great idea, i dont know how many times i've been t-adminning the server, the map changes to aztec or something that gets monotonous, and then i have an outcry for a new map and then i cant get a clear view of what everyone wants to play untill we're 5 rounds into the map...basically i think map votes are a good idea, they will make admin's jobs much easier and get the people what they want faster.

Comment

I can understand why you'd want that set up. Let me try and explain why it's not going to happen.

I understand that not everyone can (or wants to) get a supporting membership. Many who fall into that catagory do an awful lot to support this community in other ways, and even if they didn't, it's their right to chose not to hand over cash to Apophis' beer fund.

Reserved slots, webmail, web space, and temp-admin status are amongst the privileges we give to those who become supporting members, and we have to maintain enough of a difference between the two groups in order to create a sufficent incentive for people to become SM's.

Your suggestion would call for a select group of non-SM's to be given a second tier temp-admin status, but for this to work, we'd also have to give reserved slots to these players. Those are the two biggest reasons I've heard of for members becoming supporting members, and this solution would effectively lead to errosion of the difference between the two levels of membership.

What may be possible is this : On our NS server, players rack up points for playing on the server. AFAIK, a player who does well (kills, destroying hives etc) will get more points than a player who participates but doesn't do well. My knowledge of the TGNS community is slim, but I believe players can use these points for things such as adding bots to the server. I don't see why a similar system couldn't allow our CS players to be able to use points to buy map changes.

I have no idea about the mechanics of such a solution. Some ideas I've wanted to implement on our CS servers has been impossible either due to NS using the original half life engine, or because of the different admin mods in use.

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I understand completely Root. Hopefully I can get money for SM one day .

Comment

Hopefully I can get money for SM one day .
                        It wasn't a dig at anyone :)

Keep the ideas coming. It would help if we had players who knew how to do all the scripting stuff. People like Wyz and Poker only have so much time they can devote to the CS server.

Root
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                          It wasn't a dig at anyone :)

Keep the ideas coming. It would help if we had players who knew how to do all the scripting stuff. People like Wyz and Poker only have so much time they can devote to the CS server.

Root
                          I'll look into it when I get some more time, if you like. I just started school again today, and with AP English, Physics, and Sociology my load'll be somewhat big... but once I get used to it, I'll be happy to look into this. Not only to help, but I like the whole programming/scripting stuff.

Comment

ummmmmm...what about what i said earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                              What may be possible is this : On our NS server, players rack up points for playing on the server. AFAIK, a player who does well (kills, destroying hives etc) will get more points than a player who participates but doesn't do well. My knowledge of the TGNS community is slim, but I believe players can use these points for things such as adding bots to the server. I don't see why a similar system couldn't allow our CS players to be able to use points to buy map changes.
                              I think this is a great idea, though with a major drawback. As you have stated many times before, playing for your objective and helping your team does not mean wins, kills, defuses/plantings. Someone who has a 0-10 score could be much more of a team player, and more beneficial to the PCS team, than a 10-0 score player. You mentioned in the militia post how you "get kills through voicecomm" (not an actual quote, but a paraphrase). There's no real way to record this. And giving points for kills/defuses/plantings only increases one's determination to get this things (kill hunting = bad; defuse/planting-mad = less strategic, more desperate).

Maybe if it was based on the team's victory, or even time played on the server (though that one probably isn't the greatest idea), it might work better. I would suggest a system similiar to the forum's reputation, but that would be too easy to abuse (and if it was logged with player's reasons for doing so, it's just more stuff to administer).

I can try to think of a solution, and maybe it'd work, maybe not, but only time will tell.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X