Map making

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map making

I am new to this and want to learn. I have been looking for a tutorial and have been having trouble. If anyone else is proficient in this, i would be grateful if you would be able to show me or point some sites out that my help me. thx balboaemt
    Tank: "What do you need, besides a miracle?"
    Neo: "Guns. Lots of guns."

I r pwnt in the facehole, u r teh winz0rz!

-Mom

Re: Map making

Ask Vulcan, he will probably help.

Comment

i asked him and he told me the program, im looking for someone not as busy as vulcan, you know to take my under their wing and teach me :P

-Mom

Comment

im teh second mapper of this community. do you just want to learn? im currently redoing cs_harvest to pcs_harvest_beta1.

Comment

The thing about tutorials is there are a ton. I actually was just introduced to this site that has all the tutorials in one. But i will give you my most used tutorial sites.

www.akilling.org

Gamewag This site has all the tutorials gathered into one place.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

www.hl2world.com

Those are all great sites for tutorials.

- -

Comment

Through all of those do some have an explanation of how to map?

Comment

General level design is a major in most colleges. So no, that part either comes naturally or your trained.

- -

Comment

Ya, mapping is g*y. NO! Wait did i say that outloud. I think Vulcan is teh sukzorz mapper. hehe. Naw, Steve you really dont want to get into mapping. Mapping is a major waste of gameplay. Let the pros handle it. Yes, there are many mappers out there, but most of there maps suck. Vulcan is the only mapper that i believe is worth a damn.

We really dont need anymore mappers. What we need is to like get a pool going to like build MONKERZ a new computer so that he can like ya know KILL JOO ALL! HEHE

-Monk
                Allen: Yeah, you're right.
                Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

lol, what are u running monk? Id like to know how bad it is.

I would also like to learn a lil too. More mappers are good because other people have some good ideas too. Or people who are already really good at mapping should be open for new ideas and suggestions. We all know that some maps work for PCS and some dont, but then again every one does have their prefrence.

Comment

If it really takes the caliber of precision that Vulcan mentioned, I think most people would be better off indirectly affecting maps by stating what they want to see and what they think would be bad, instead of throwing one together themselves.

Comment

The thing about making maps for source, is it requires alot of testing. I've probably compile jungle over 300 times testing out light settings, shadows, physics and other things in the map and tweaking them. Take a 45 minute compile time and you can see it's alot of time spent. That doesn't even factor in the in hammer time which is about 3/4 of that time.

I usually discourage people from trying to learn hammer because it is daunting and it takes alot of time. Most people will give up and just throw a half finished map out there. If your willing to get to the point where you've made decent progress and you understand the time it takes and dedication, i'm willing to help out someone with questions and even complicated design techniques. But like most people my time is very limited and i'm not able to help people in their baby steps.

- -

Comment

Ignore Monkeys reverse psychology folks. He doesn't want a PC, because he doesn't want to get pwned by noobs like Keres ;)

Having more mappers would be a huge boost to this community. Azzman makes a valid point about the majority contributing through ideas, but we can't expect Vulcan to do it all. Well actually we can, but we'll probably get one or two maps a year at that rate.

If enough of you have the time and inclination to sit down and learn how to map, I'll put a mappers team together.

Root
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

i already asked Apo for some section for that. he said sure, but i havent seen it.

Comment

This could get very interesting.

Comment

thx root, like i said im beginning so any beginning help would be needed so a mappers forum section in tgcs would help tremendously. Thx

-Mom

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X