Got Crash Since Update?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Crash Since Update?

Running Win98 on an Athlon 1.4G with a GeForce4 NVIDIA Quadro NVS with one monitor plugged in.

Worked fine yesterday. I interrupted the update today, and nothing Source wants to boot (but HL does work). Double-click in Steam, "Preparing to play Half-Life 2", clunk, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" >> details: HL2 caused an invalid page fault in module FILESYSTEM_STEAM.DLL at *** registers ******.

Did a "delete all local game content" on HL2. Let it re-download some stuff, started first HL2 then CS:S, same thing. Manually trashed everything except barebones Steam including the top-level .cfg files, reinstalled HL from network and HL2 from disk then network update. Same error, exact. Yes, I get the same error after manually trashing all executable and config and game files and reinstalling. Wow. Wow wow wow.

Googled a lot. Found nothing.

Sent all four filesystem_steam.dll files I found to the recycle bin. Started Steam, it's smart enough to re-download its own missing files. clunk, same error, exact.

Man, I play games to get AWAY from mundane computer stuff. That's why I never even do my own scripts or configs, except key binds. Now I'm facing a re-install of win98.

Suggestions?

--Shroom
    -- Shroom
    I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Re: Got Crash Since Update?

It could have something to do with your Windows registry, maybe. The error could be lingering in there, since ditching all the files didn't do it. It must be somewhere else on your computer, obviously. I'm unsure how to fix it. Maybe Registry Mechanic could find an error in your registry.

http://www.download.com/3000-2094_4-10190447.html

Comment

uninstall steam and reinstall it.

- -

Comment

Mine crashes too. Not sure why. I'm trying Poe's fix, hopefully I don't have to let it re-install all night. I am going to a LAN party at Skid's house tomorrow and I'm going over there at like, 11am. I'd like to play some tonight.

|CS:S Dev Team|

root: I do it to
        steve: OMG
        steve: TOO
        root: ****ing hell
        root: Spelling nazi down! MEDIC!

Go ahead, you know you all envy me, I corrected root's grammar :D

Comment

I wouldnt touch anything. Valve released an update today which broke a lot of stuff.

Just wait for an update to fix the problems with the update and see if it fixes your problem at the same time.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Per Poe's advice, I uninstalled Spybot's TeaTimer, whose job it is to interrupt registry entries and ask you to validate each one. Though I installed it after I started having problems, it most likely aggravated the situation.

Registry mechanic found nothing Steam-related.

Reinstalled Steam. Lots of files switched to 9/24 date and other not-so-old dates, but I still get the error.

I should have taken Korm's advice, only I didn't see it before I tried uninstalling Steam a second time, which just plain nuked my Valve/Steam directory, all game files, programs, settings, etc without warning. Going for reinstall number two. Thanks Valve.

--Shroom
            -- Shroom

Comment

I just got on a bit ago and have had a couple minor problems since this update, I'll try to explain them best I can...

1) I notice when I connect to a server or create my own game, instead of the backround screen going completely black with just the gray rectangular progress bar showing right away, the main CS:S backround still shows about half way through the progress until the backround finally turns completely black. Anyone know what I mean? Maybe it's not an issue, I don't know.

2) Every single time I load the game up or join a server, my mouse is ultra hyper, as in the cursor moves a million miles an hour - it also shows my Windows XP scroll cursor when I click the scroll button. I've had this problem every now and then, but all I would have to do is Alt+Tab into Windows and Alt+Tab back and it would be fixed. Now it's permanent for some reason. I can't get the hyperness of the mouse cursor to go away now, thus it's impossible for me to play the game reasonably. Does anyone know what I mean and is anyone else getting this problem?

I've never, never, never had a problem with any previous Steam update - until tonight...

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

Originally posted by .brok3n.
                1) I notice when I connect to a server or create my own game, instead of the backround screen going completely black with just the gray rectangular progress bar showing right away, the main CS:S backround still shows about half way through the progress until the backround finally turns completely black. Anyone know what I mean? Maybe it's not an issue, I don't know.
                I've never had that issue, personally. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be an issue really, just an obnoxious irritation I'd imagine.

2) Every single time I load the game up or join a server, my mouse is ultra hyper, as in the cursor moves a million miles an hour - it also shows my Windows XP scroll cursor when I click the scroll button. I've had this problem every now and then, but all I would have to do is Alt+Tab into Windows and Alt+Tab back and it would be fixed. Now it's permanent for some reason. I can't get the hyperness of the mouse cursor to go away now, thus it's impossible for me to play the game reasonably. Does anyone know what I mean and is anyone else getting this problem?
                Maybe the update set your mouse sensitivity to something insane. Have you tried resetting it?

Comment

No, it's a problem I've had in the past but it was a simple Alt+Tab fix.

When I go into the game, my cursor is blinking very very slightly like it's still trying to do something in Windows. When I click my scroll button, the Windows scroll cursor comes on the screen. On top of all of that, the speed of the cursor is insane.

I don't know how else to explain it but I've had the problem here and there before but I could fix it real quick. Now it suddenly won't go away.

Comment

check out the steam powered forums, many issues are there as well.

- -

Comment

I have a weird thing happen with NS (and Dystopia? Cant remember). When I connect to the server and load the first map of the session, the game minimizes, and I have to bring it back up, which takes a while. It happens when the map has finished loading and the MotD pops up.

Comment

Well I still can't figure out what the issue is with my game after this update. I've browsed the steam forums (registered about an hour ago and am in moderater que to be added to forums, so I can't post) to see if anyone has had the same problem as me and I couldn't find anything.

Perhaps when they update the game again it will fix itself, I don't know.

In any case, I had to satisfy my fix tonight by going back to Ol' Faithful...Quake 3 (for anyone wondering why my sensitivity is at 15.8 in CS:S and why I twitch so fast, this game is why :) ). pwned me some nubs tonight I did.

<3 the rocket launcher.

Comment

2) Every single time I load the game up or join a server, my mouse is ultra hyper, as in the cursor moves a million miles an hour
                          Got optical? Buy it at Wal-Mart? I had that problem once with same computer, different OS (Win98 then Linux).
                          -- Shroom

Comment

Yeah, it's a Logitech optical from Wal-Mart...

Comment

did you try setting your sensitivy manually within console? I don't remember the command off the top of my head.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X