Look at my score!!! Not.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at my score!!! Not.

I bet your first thought when you saw the title to this thread was "Oh no, that always-talking Poe is going to ramble on about how score doesn't matter and stuff like that. *yawn*"

Yeah, well, score ain't important. The ONLY score that matters is your team's score, and even that isn't necessarily important.

But that's completely unrelated to my point. Well, mostly :P

Before I came to TacticalGamer, I was an amazing player (not to brag or anything :P ). A headshot with the ak47 was no problem, I could kill a hoarde of people with the scout without much worry. But let me get to my point before it sounds like I'm just trying to boast.

Ever since I started playing at TacticalGamer, I've noticed a significant decrease in my skills compared to what they were. Are the players better? Some, yes. But frankly, pubbies are the best at incredible shots and killing whatever stands in there way. It's all they do, they gotta be good. Why would I get worse? Good question, and I have an even better answer.

Before TG, I pretty much always played on a 24/7 dust2 server. My communication was down to either telling my team how many guys went to which bombsite, or where the bomb was going. Or maybe where some clear areas were. It had more communication than about 99% of the servers, yes. Compared to TG? None.

Now the answer to that lingering question. My point in TG has shifted entirely. I started out as a hunter. Kill hunter. That changed within the first few minutes though, and I worked more for the team. That's nice, yes. Then I worked with the team. Better still. It's taken quite some time, but now I am the team (not by myself, but as in "one with the team"). I've gotten to the point where I would sacrifice myself for a bit of useful information if it was necessary without a second thought. I'll pass up shots on enemies simply to let me team know about their location, maybe their gun, and whatever else might prove useful. I'll pass up even peeking into the next room if I might be able to sneak the hostages out. I'm a meatshield for the bomber, a caravan for the hostage rescuer, a hawk for the down bomb, and a suicide bomber. I am anything and everything I can be for the team to the best of my abilities.

Now my point. TG has completely transformed my playstyle. TG has mauled my killing skills and turned me into an utterly dedicated team player. TG has created an environment that takes gaming to an entirely new level. TG makes the gaming what it is. Brainwashing? Naw, I'm glad it's happened.

I just want to extend my gratitude, and say I would gladly give up all my skills with aiming if it meant betterment for the team and the playstyle PCS demands. And I know I am not the only one who does their best for teamwork and PCS, and I want to thank them, too. You all have made TacticalGamer a place I feel blessed to have found.

Thank you, TacticalGamer.

PS: Score doesn't matter.

Re: Look at my score!!! Not.

Pretty much the same story here. I'll pass up engaging an enemy for fear of giving away my position, sacrifice for intel, etc. - pretty much everything you described.

I can't play in other servers. If I'm going to go play DM, I'd much rather just load up Q3 and go to town. With CS:S, PCS is really the only way to play for me. If it weren't for TG, I'd probably be still playing Q3 fulltime, as CS:S DM would've grown too old on me. With Q3, yeah, it's DM, but it's more a less a sport the way you play (ie. requires quite a bit of skill, technique, etc) - but that's beside the point.

I still remember the first time I ever hopped on the TG server. The map was de_aztec. I was a CT and was just about at T spawn, shooting at everything that moved. Of course you had me typing the usual 'statsme', 'top10', 'ff', etc. I still remember the constant console messages as I was wondering around aimlessly, lmao.

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

Originally posted by poe
      I bet your first thought when you saw the title to this thread was "Oh no, that always-talking Poe is going to ramble on about how score doesn't matter and stuff like that. *yawn*"

Yeah, well, score ain't important. The ONLY score that matters is your team's score, and even that isn't necessarily important.

Before I came to TacticalGamer, I was an amazing player (not to brag or anything :P ). A headshot with the ak47 was no problem, I could kill a hoarde of people with the scout without much worry. But let me get to my point before it sounds like I'm just trying to boast.

Ever since I started playing at TacticalGamer, I've noticed a significant decrease in my skills compared to what they were. Are the players better? Some, yes. But frankly, pubbies are the best at incredible shots and killing whatever stands in there way. It's all they do, they gotta be good. Why would I get worse? Good question, and I have an even better answer.

Before TG, I pretty much always played on a 24/7 dust2 server. My communication was down to either telling my team how many guys went to which bombsite, or where the bomb was going. Or maybe where some clear areas were. It had more communication than about 99% of the servers, yes. Compared to TG? None.

Now the answer to that lingering question. My point in TG has shifted entirely. I started out as a hunter. Kill hunter. That changed within the first few minutes though, and I worked more for the team. That's nice, yes. Then I worked with the team. Better still. It's taken quite some time, but now I am the team (not by myself, but as in "one with the team"). I've gotten to the point where I would sacrifice myself for a bit of useful information if it was necessary without a second thought. I'll pass up shots on enemies simply to let me team know about their location, maybe their gun, and whatever else might prove useful. I'll pass up even peeking into the next room if I might be able to sneak the hostages out. I'm a meatshield for the bomber, a caravan for the hostage rescuer, a hawk for the down bomb, and a suicide bomber. I am anything and everything I can be for the team to the best of my abilities.

Now my point. TG has completely transformed my playstyle. TG has mauled my killing skills and turned me into an utterly dedicated team player. TG has created an environment that takes gaming to an entirely new level. TG makes the gaming what it is. Brainwashing? Naw, I'm glad it's happened.

I just want to extend my gratitude, and say I would gladly give up all my skills with aiming if it meant betterment for the team and the playstyle PCS demands. And I know I am not the only one who does their best for teamwork and PCS, and I want to thank them, too. You all have made TacticalGamer a place I feel blessed to have found.

PS: Score doesn't matter.
      yep, tg has taken your killer instincts away and therefore i pwn you in the sewers on de_penstock.....jk love it here, hate playing elsewhere
      Tank: "What do you need, besides a miracle?"
      Neo: "Guns. Lots of guns."

I r pwnt in the facehole, u r teh winz0rz!

-Mom

Comment

yeah a few months of only playing on the TG servers can change you completely

everytime i head onto any other server, i'm not used to the Ts/CTs rushing, and i hate that sooo much

communication is now my nature as well, as i know no one's going to take care of those who kill me, unless i point out where they are, before they kill me

so, like Poe here, i'm thanking you guys, Tactical Gamer, for showing me a new way to play CS!

Comment

Same here. I cant stand other CS servers.

I've always had a problem with 'DM' style CS gameplay. TG is the only server I play on.. when it's down or noone else is around, I dont even bother attempting to go anywhere else.

It seems like every other server has lame mods and homer simpson sounds and other crap which completely destroys any sense of realism. It makes me throw up a bit inside my mouth. =(

Comment

Nice writeup, Poe!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Indeed it's just a great step, that most other players can't comprehend it when first introduced to it. I'm glad to see more and more people grasping it though.

- -

Comment

TG has that effect. You think you're just not that good, then you go pubbing and realize that you're just up against a different level of gamer. I noticed the same thing in Natural Selection: as fade on TG I can't barely hold my own. On pub servers, I can go 30+ and 0.

On the rare occasion that I've actually gone pubbing in CS, I've done a Hell of a lot better than I thought I would. In fact, I remember a game on de_dust2 where I got the entire Terrorist team to sit in spawn and come up with plans that we executed to a T (no pun intended) and were wasting a 4 man clan stack on the CTs. These guys were eating up the teamwork and communication because it's something they just don't see everyday.

Through careful use of flashes and HEs, I can wreak havok on people who are better shots (or just flat-out better players) than I am. The joke is on them, fighting fair is for suckers.

Comment

Your gun is not your most important weapon in this game.

Everyone should know that and follow it as a law.

Comment

Well, there can be no doubt that individual twitch skills can keep you alive longer in the game, but with very few exceptions, the team that executes better as a team wins.

Comment

took the words right outta my mouth... i use to be DM crazy (rush awp this etc)

but TG has put me on the right path. I love the PCS rules there so fun.

^_^banano Goes down smooth.

Comment

Awww. Poe's getting all sappy on us. <3

Comment

I would say this style of play available only when at least two people from the TG community are playing - one for CTs and another one for Ts .. or one admin constantly watching players and errr.. advising them onto a right path. This style of playing tend to degrade pretty fast as soon as there is no control over the player actions and noone advices a player to follow the rules and such.

Therefore, the downsides are there too, heh.. like admins who are not really into creating the "look and feel" of the TG play, but rather into abusing their power, just because they, lemme guess, had a bad day or something.

Another one would be disagreement between different admins about what's OK and what is wrong to do, and following player slaying/banning for disagreement with current admin whether he's temporary one or not whether he's playing much or not. Heh..

I bet whoever came to TG server for the first time and yet clicked OK button on the rules screen without reading them is for surprize when they get kicked .. kinda tends to aggrivate people a bit and make their ears less acceptable for the friendly advices.. I really appreciate 9v for his style of taking care of things ..

Comment

Theres no need for a big writeup for this. Just look at how terrible Root is. And hes Gaming Officer. ;)

J/K TacticalGamer is my home for CS and I love the way that you dont have to be a twitcher to get along with everyone else in the community. Nice write btw poe.
                            |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

Originally posted by cyber$haman
                              I would say this style of play available only when at least two people from the TG community are playing - one for CTs and another one for Ts .. or one admin constantly watching players and errr.. advising them onto a right path. This style of playing tend to degrade pretty fast as soon as there is no control over the player actions and noone advices a player to follow the rules and such.

Therefore, the downsides are there too, heh.. like admins who are not really into creating the "look and feel" of the TG play, but rather into abusing their power, just because they, lemme guess, had a bad day or something.

Another one would be disagreement between different admins about what's OK and what is wrong to do, and following player slaying/banning for disagreement with current admin whether he's temporary one or not whether he's playing much or not. Heh..

I bet whoever came to TG server for the first time and yet clicked OK button on the rules screen without reading them is for surprize when they get kicked .. kinda tends to aggrivate people a bit and make their ears less acceptable for the friendly advices.. I really appreciate 9v for his style of taking care of things ..
                              Following the rules of our server is NOT an option. It's required. On both of our CS servers. Period.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X