CS Wannabe questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Wannabe questions

So...I was browsing the PC software racks at Best Buy and noticed a coupla different editions of HL/CS AND a teaser for CS-Condition Zero.

I've never played HL or CS and so far have been strictly a GR player, with a little Raven Shield thrown in for variety.

Can you guys help me out with:
    1. What is CS all about? How does it compare to RS or GR?
    2. What should I buy/download to get started?
    3. What sort of gameplay (compared to GR) should I expect?
    4. What makes CS worthwhile/worth spending time on?
    5. Condition Zero looks to be interesting...where does it fit in the scheme of things?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply!
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Good questions. I'm eager to hear the answers.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

1. CS is a terrorism/counter-terrorism mod for HL. It's pretty fun, fast paced action but little to no realism. The environments are pretty small, so advanced tactics get a little difficult.

B. Purchase the original Half-Life game. If you go that route, you can play any Half-Life based MOD for free.

Third. Errr..... Personally, I don't find it quite as good as GR.

IV. I wish I could answer that. Personally, I'd say get something else like BF1942 or OFP.

5th. Just another mod for HL/CS. It makes things more pretty.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

i guess apophis told you most everything.. but i'll tell you my opinions, it may give you a different look on the game.

1. CS is he HL mod, its a fast game there isn't much planing, but still fun. Two teams, Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists. I guess its like GR and RvS because its both CT or army (i think?) versus T. Unlike GR and RVS(i've played both a little) CS is very very fast.

2. What apo said, but you can also buy the CS retail (CS by it self) and i think you can play any of the mods also.
        IF you get HL you can then DL the CS update.. (verson 1.5) and that will let you play on any 1.5 WON servers.. Then you can DL Natural-selection, and play with the ns guys :D:D Which i highly suggest ;P

But actually.. you can forget what i just said, and DL steam from www.steampowered.com, you want the 500K installer. THen you can install that, without installing HL!!! (someone correct me if i'm wrong....)you then make a steam account and it asks for the HL CD key (which is why you buy it... or you could talk to polska and use his CD KEY generator.. i think he still has it)

3. I haven't played GR enough to tell you.

4. Its fun, but i mean.. NS is better. I just play CS when i'm really bored or no ones on the NS server..

5. CS:CZ is just CS 1.6 (the newest verson, runs on steam) with a single player to it. But i've heard it sucks because everything is scripted and theres almost no AI.

... Also, something tells me no one is going to understand what i said in #2, so if you don't understand, say so and i'll explain it again.

Comment

Re: CS Wannabe questions

Originally posted by beep
          Can you guys help me out with:
          1. What is CS all about? How does it compare to RS or GR?
          2. What should I buy/download to get started?
          3. What sort of gameplay (compared to GR) should I expect?
          4. What makes CS worthwhile/worth spending time on?
          5. Condition Zero looks to be interesting...where does it fit in the scheme of things?
          I'll chime in as well...

Combine this with what you've already been told: Instead of one long game like OFP or GR, a game of CS is made up of multiple "rounds" (number of rounds is determined by a server setting). At the beginning of each round, you must buy your weapons, body armor, grenades, etc... If you or your team accomplishes its objective or wins the round by eliminating the other team, then you earn more money. The losing team receives a small amount of money, but to get the nice weapons they would have to go a couple of rounds with cheap weapons, or get lucky... The strategy is limited by the nature of the gameplay and the size of the maps. The tactics are limited for the same reason.

The graphics are outdated. The sound is outdated. HL is an OLD engine that once kicked serious ass...

It's not a simulation of any kind... The game physics and weapon characteristics are designed for good GAMEplay, not realism.

If you want to buy the game, like Apophis said, get the cheapest UNOPENED copy of Half Life that you can find. All the map packs, mods and other downloadable additions are designed for the original Half Life install... And it's cheaper...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Re: CS Wannabe questions

Originally posted by eternal
            The good thing about spending the 15-20 dollars on half life is you get one of the best single player games ever made
            I second that. I still play through Half-Life about twice a year; it's that great of a single-player experience. The "sequels", Opposing Forces and Blue Shift, are merely okay, but are novel in that you observe the same HL storyline from different perspectives. Not sure about OF, but I know firsthand that BS cd-keys work on vanilla HL installs, so if you can't locate a boxed copy of HL (or don't want to shell out for the "platinum pack" or whatever it's called), grab BS and have someone burn you a copy of plain HL.
            "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Woohoo, server is up again! :)

Comment

Originally posted by DeRanger
                Yippee!! BTW: Address of it in server LIST has wrong port; server STATUS is correct...

Comment

Originally posted by dead
                  Originally posted by DeRanger
                  Yippee!! BTW: Address of it in server LIST has wrong port; server STATUS is correct...
                  You sure you don't have that backwards?
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

OT

[quote="Eternal"CS is still the number one played game on the internet for a reason.[/quote]

Ummm no, The most played the internet game is "Lineage". CS is the most played FPS online. Difference.

I was going to answer his questions too, but I pretty much agree with what everybody has said.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal
                      Sigh, there is one in every thread.
                      :D And it's usually you! :P
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X