New Server 1 Policies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server 1 Policies

I dont mean to start an argument thread nor do I mean to question the administration regarding the new policies in place. I only wish to voice my own opinions and if you wish to bash the administration, this is not the place to post.

I have read the new threads and stickies in the SOP concerning the abuse of SM with T-Admin status and the reason why Server 1 is now password protected.

Why I feel Server 1 should not have a password:

I do not fell that server one should have a password because without a password, we were able to drive much more traffic to it. Also, I myself and I believe MANY other members of TG became a part of the TG community by randomly wandering onto our server and saying to themselves "wow, this is what this game was meant for". More over, Server 2 was instituted to give TG members a place to play when they didnt want to deal with newbies. Also, the server may now never have too many players to have a fun interactive game, where as before, no matter what time it was, people were playing. With a password, no newbie to TG is ever going to come to our forums when they can just join another server.

Why I feel the Administration felt they needed to Password the server:

I understand that certain SM's abused their T-Admin priviledges and I witnessed them on several ocasions. I believe that without many of the T-Admins, the server needed to be locked down to limit the number of so-called "fragmonkeys". I completely agree that things have gotten out of hand, but I PERSONNALY feel that the reason of so much T-Admin abuse is due to an inefficiency in reporting policy. The current or former policy was to PM the abusive admin and discuss it with them, then to refer to higher levels if necessary. I feel that the "blacklist" policy may have worked to report admins, if one were to PM a sole high level admin, to discuss with them and the abusive member at the same time.

Basically, this is my private opinion and I felt it should be posted. I just feel bad for all those prospective new members who may never get to play on TG because of the barriers of our server. Heck, I recieved several kicks before I got PCS down, and I bet I still have much to learn. Again, this is not a bash party on root or any member of the administration, but I'd like to hear from other members on this topic.

Re: New Server 1 Policies

Ok, now you've had your shot, let me have mine.

I'm one of the admins that lobbied hard for this. It doesn't sit well with me that it had to be done, but I felt it was necessary for the overall good of PCS.

My reasons were many, but basically resulted from the fact that as of late, there has been an insane amount of misinformation about what PCS is and what PCS isn't on Server 1.

My usual response is to point to the forums and say got to it, read and comment away. Usually this is met with "f* the forums", "admin abuse", or other such constructive criticism.

Guess what? Server 1 is not a pub server. It is a training ground for PCS.

The idea is that players here go to server 1, learn how to play in a PCS manner, others come in and learn our game, and everyone can gradually make it over to server 2.

None of that is happening.

Instead, what we have a massively negative atmosphere on the server, gameplay little better than a pub, players yelling in both voice comms and chat things that are just plain wrong, and all heaping abuse on admins.

Our regulars treat the server like it is some sort of personal playpen. Many have not read the SOPs, and wouldn't know PCS from a gold brick to their head.

As a result, we have two choices: start banning everyone, or force people to come in, read the SOPs, get the password, and go from there.

The use of a password should be temporary, but it largely revolves around how the PCS community reacts.

If the community gets back to playing PCS, and stops all the other nonsense, then the password will be lifted. I don't think I need to outline the alternatives.

I consider it a dark day for Tactical Gamer that our cornerstone game has been reduced to this.

Comment

Maybe one day soon the password will be removed. I see this happening only if the atmosphere increases to a positive one that includes a firm understanding of the PCS rules. I believe only a small percentage had a terrible grasp of PCS, but on the other side an even smaller percentage had a grasp that would be considered "correct." It's nothing easy to do, really.. after being used to so many other places, it is a drastic change.

Mateo sees this as a dark day. I see it as a bright one. It allows us to further help those who have expressed a desire to learn and play PCS to its full extent, and also to weed out the ones who do not. If you are willing to learn and exhibit an honest effort, I doubt you shall run into much troubles. Don't picture this as the reaper coming to hack away the 'taint' upon TG... it is the blessing that purifies that 'taint.'

I personally feel this is a great thing, as I said. It puts a pause on the formelly rapidly growing CSS community, and gives us the chance to reign in those who got a bit out of control, and form us all into exception PCS players. I look forward to the upcoming times not only because it will better the community (though that is easily the main reason), but because it will help me in becoming a better player myself.

The lack of more people is a bad thing, partially, yes. But it lets us fix what we already have. If you spill a cup of water, you aren't going to pour the rest of the cup on the floor before you clean it.

So for once, I disagree entirely with Mateo (on that one piece). It is not a dark day.

EDIT: PS: I'm also one who gave a 'yes' to the idea. Obviously, I'm for it :P
      Last edited by poe; 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM. Reason: lolz +words dun equells gud

Comment

Thanks for your post Mateo, I feel much more informed on the topic and now completely understand your position. Considering the only posts out there were closed threads stating that there is a password and T-Admins have been limited.

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        Guess what? Server 1 is not a pub server. It is a training ground for PCS.

The idea is that players here go to server 1, learn how to play in a PCS manner, others come in and learn our game, and everyone can gradually make it over to server 2.
        I suppose I miss understood the concept of Server 1 then, as it was formally named "Public Server" before the server crashed. After playing on the server today with these new policies though, I do actually find it facinating on what a great cooperative game can be run with out constantly informing the "newbies" about PCS.

Maybe I should run a "learn to play PCS" server for those I mentioned in my first post, while TG goes on as a newly pure PCS server...

BTW, did anyone notice that when Server 1 had no password, it was constantly full and Server 2 was constantly empty, but now, Server2 is full and S1 is empty.

Comment

Now no new players are going to come to our server other than maybe our friends we bring along. But I doubt that will do too much. TG might as well shut one of the servers down because it's wasting money that we SMs so generously give.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Willis
            Now no new players are going to come to our server other than maybe our friends we bring along. But I doubt that will do too much. TG might as well shut one of the servers down because it's wasting money that we SMs so generously give.
            Both servers run on the same box. So if we run 1 or 2, it's the same expense.

It's temporary. Things will be gotten under control, temp admins will be properly chosen based on those that understand TG and PCS, and things will move forward again.

This is a stop gap measure at this point. Be patient.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

i'm glad that a password was put on Server 1

i realize that because of having a password on both servers, we'll be expecting less traffic on the servers, but i'd rather have less traffic than having to deal with the large amount of people coming onto the server, and thinking they can just waltz in and bend the rules, and not expect anything to happen to them

i've been around long enough on the servers to see my share of people being kicked and banned for inappropriate actions, comments, etc, and as far as i'm concerned, i'm tired of seeing it

i've stayed on this server for more than half a year, because it suits my gaming nature: teamwork, and stealth

and if anyone wants to come on the server and try to keep me from doing that, because they run off with bomb instead of waiting for us to make a plan, or by rushing and putting us down a man, or TKing, putting us down a man or two, well they can kiss my PCS ass, because now they can't get in the servers and do that!

so for all the guys who voted in favor of Server 1 having a password, thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by radicaldreamer
                thinking they can just waltz in and bend the rules, and not expect anything to happen to them
                Here's the thing I've noticed though. Players like that are quickly removed, no more problem. And yet, the general problems still remain. This suggests to me that those types of players were not even the remotest of the major issues right now.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Read Me:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showpos...9&postcount=13
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I agree with Apophis, I do not like bunny hopping or any people breaking TG's rules. That is why I am here to play the games on TG, finally I found the mature gamers place to be. I do like having the servers password protected on some nights so I can play BF2 how it is meant to be played. I also like playing with the same bunch of people as well.
                    XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Im definatly agreeing on Mateo's part. Yea it sucks that it had to come to this, but it was rightfully deserved. Things DID get way out of hand and just a little bit of work would not fix the problem, it needed a complete overhaul and it had to come to this. Ill admidt I was aggrivated that the server was locked, but i know its for good reason now. I have a feeling things will get better because of this, i have faith in our admins and such that things will be the way they were before, id like to say it was all because of that major server crash, but i think its beyond that, im thinking is was caused by the ignorance of many supporting members, not all, but there were alot of hostilities on the server recently between TG members. And Apophis, your story brought a tear to my eye :*)

Comment

I like the server 1 password because it forced all the PCS players onto server 2, where we have been having some awesome games. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus
                          I like the server 1 password because it forced all the PCS players onto server 2, where we have been having some awesome games. =)
                          Yeah, I spectated for a few minutes last night while a game was going on cs_beruit. That was one tough round.

Hitting the pause button might just have been a great thing. If the level of play stays that high, we won't have to worry about PCS.

In a couple of weeks, everyone will be used to that style of play, and have a decent understanding of the rules.

Comment

ugh, i hate that beirute map, its so not FPS friendly for me, i hope to never play it again lol

Comment

i left right before beirute or whatever. there was even still confusion on the server why server 1 was PWed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X