h2l.exe crashing... faulting module datacache.dll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• h2l.exe crashing... faulting module datacache.dll

At (what appears to be) random times while playing CSS, the game will crash to desktop (CTD). I see a general error message which does no good. I then go to the computer manager (right-click my computer --> manage) and open up the event viewer. Under the application viewer I see the following error.

Faulting application hl2.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module datacache.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00008a57.

I've searched online (i.e. google) to find any help, but so far I've had no luck. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas how to correct it? I'm not even sure how to fix an installation with steam.

Side notes....
    - My machine is a new install from this past weekend.
    - HL2 is actually crashing on me occasionally but I don't see error logs.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: h2l.exe crashing... faulting module datacache.dll

Update video drivers? What's your system specs?

Could be chipset drivers too.

- -

Comment

I rebuilt my HD this weekend and installed the latest drivers.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+) @ 2.21 GHz
      1.5 GB RAM PC3200
      nVidia 6800 GT 256 MB RAM (v78.01)

I had the same drivers prior to my HD refresh.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

That foul error plagues me occasionally as well. I find it most often strikes near the time of an Alt+Tab of mine. Sometimes it does seem random, too, though. And blast google for having no solutions! I looked there a while back. The STEAM forums proved fruitless too.

Comment

i see no answer so her goes:

sometimes, steam's cache gets corrupted (like your case) and needs to be fixed. all i can say is backup your binds and such and delete local game content. i also heard somewhere that if you delete the datacache.dll that Steam makes a new one , but i would NOT recomend that solution. all i can remember on that subject, i just deleted local content and reran it and it fixed everything by itself.

Comment

h2l.exe crashing... Possible fix!

My problem was a sound problem and it seemed to crash with a looping sound, it might different for other as me and my mrother have the same computer except for a few dofferences and his hl2.exe error wasn't to do with sound. The fix to my game crashing was either disabling my onboard sound and putting in my "USB Super Sound Card" which seemed to come out really easy. But after I had enabled my onboard sound and updated graphics, sound etc. (I didn't do everything). Any way I went into run and typed dxdiag, went to the sound tab and put the Hardware Sound Acceleration level down to nothing and then exited. However then my Team speak was all jittery, so I went to Options, Settings, Other and muckeed around with the Enable GameVoice Hardware Support and the process priority then after restarting Team Speak it was fine! Hadn't had any crashes since! But my problem turned out to be a sound related one. DON'T GO INTO THE BIOS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! YOU COULD MAKE YOUR PC NOT COME ON!! I also wnet to steam right clicked on Counter Strike Source and put in -32bit not sure if that made a difference and I also deleted the datacache.dll from my steam folders it hasn't come back yet and the game runs fine! Havent' crashed since....... Hope to see you all playing Counter Strike Source soon. This probably works for all games in Steam but I haven't checked yet. Tell me if it works for you too!

P.S. If it works for any of you guys I'll try and post it on Steam Support!

Also if you go on other forums post this too! To help others!

Yours Sincerely,
            Marler
            Last edited by Marler; 08-08-2007, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Mine crashes on leaving the game every time now. I am fine when ingame, but when I try and exit it kill my machine..
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Sounds like driver issues to me Big C. I've never really seen that with source games.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                  Mine crashes on leaving the game every time now. I am fine when ingame, but when I try and exit it kill my machine..
                  Same here...

Ash what OS are you using? Seems to be the biggest issue with nVidia Drivers

Comment

Was XP even out when this thread was started ?? :P
                    Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Gogeta View Post
                      Was XP even out when this thread was started ?? :P
                      :icon_lol:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

LOL - I didn't even look at the start date - DOH!

Comment

I've been experiencing this issue, it appears Vista is having problems with Dual Channel mode, I havnt been able to find any specific fixes though.

4GB Dual Channel DDR2-800 (2x2GB)
                          AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8Ghz
                          Windows Vista Ulti 64-Bit
                          Geforce 8800GTS

Everythings running on the latest drivers, Im going to try out some 3rd party drivers for my video card, but i have a hunch it goes back to the Dual Channel, thats the only thing I've been reading about in battlefield forums (Since Im experiencing that in that game too).

Anyone know the performance hit going from Dual Channel to Single Channel?
                          Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X