X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea regarding map downloads

Hello!

Idea:
    Disable map downloads for non-supporting members, provide direct download links for maps in a Maps thread on this forums.

Effects:
    Non-SM'ers will join our server during one of the standard maps, such as Italy. They will then orgasm over themselves over our awesome style of play. Then, they will be forced to sign up and come to this forum to download the non-standard maps for TG, where they will then read our rules and become good little TG netizens.

In addition, this might also increase SM membership, which would increase funds for our server, which i'm sure would be an acceptable side affect.

Conclusion:
    I rock.

Re: Idea regarding map downloads

Originally posted by Lazarus
    Hello!

Idea:
    Disable map downloads for non-supporting members, provide direct download links for maps in a Maps thread on this forums.

Effects:
    Non-SM'ers will join our server during one of the standard maps, such as Italy. They will then orgasm over themselves over our awesome style of play. Then, they will be forced to sign up and come to this forum to download the non-standard maps for TG, where they will then read our rules and become good little TG netizens.

In addition, this might also increase SM membership, which would increase funds for our server, which i'm sure would be an acceptable side affect.

Conclusion:
    I rock.
    Let's put the conclusions of your post aside for another time :row__640:

Is it even possible to restrict downloads like this?

I'm discussing a variation on this (that I know is possible). Still, if anyone can tell me for definite that this is technically feasable I might be interested.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

You might be able to do it with standard console commands and server cvars. Most likely, it will take some type of scripting knowledge to pull off, if it's possible at all.

Comment

I'm not a supporting member but I've been here for quite some time...

Are you telling me that I'm going to have to exit the game and manually download a map that I may not have because I'm not a supporting member? I don't understand the logic in this but perhaps I'm not understanding the concept period...

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

i don't get it either. Why shouldn't non-SMs have map downloads?

Comment

I mean if I understand correctly you want the 'newer' players, and when I say 'newer' I mean players who have played on the server literally once or twice, to access the forums and better understand how we play whilst downloading the selected map? That's understandable and a pretty good idea. Problem is, what about people like me who I'd like to say have a proven track record yet aren't supporting members?

That's more or less a slap in the face if you ask me and a big turnoff to boot...

Comment

Possibly limit it to those that have their Steam ID in their profile on the forums?

Comment

Originally posted by .brok3n.
                I mean if I understand correctly you want the 'newer' players, and when I say 'newer' I mean players who have played on the server literally once or twice, to access the forums and better understand how we play whilst downloading the selected map? That's understandable and a pretty good idea. Problem is, what about people like me who I'd like to say have a proven track record yet aren't supporting members?

That's more or less a slap in the face if you ask me and a big turnoff to boot...
                All sounds spot on to me. Nevertheless, I'm interested to see what (relevant) tangents this thread goes off at. I'm hoping the admins and dev team will have an announcement soon, and I believe our take on map downloads is more equitable.

Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Well then I guess I would have to say I'm against this whole idea. It just doesn't sit well with me. It's more or less like you're saying 'Well since you're not helping monetarily, you have to suffer' and that comes off as an insult to someone like me or to the many others here who aren't SM's. That's my take.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                    Possibly limit it to those that have their Steam ID in their profile on the forums?
                    This is a much better idea if it's at all feasable. This way you aren't punishing those who've been around for a substantial amount of time but aren't SM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                      That is what I was thinking, and what I would MUCH prefer. I agree with broken on this one. So I'm poor, AND have to manually downloading maps just to play? At least leave me one arm. If it is decided to be limited, I vote for the people who simply don't have their Steam ID avaliable for the server to check. While it -is- faster to manually download a map, it's so much more of an unneccesary hassle.

Comment

I am kind of agaisnt it, because it would limit players, but it would keep the servers fresh with people who would want to learn the way we play, becasue they would have to work to play.

Comment

Ah, another thing that crossed my mind.

What if the server was on a custom map when they tried to join the server? No go. When someone wants to play and is joining various servers, the likelihood of them going to a website, downloading a map, putting it in the right place... etc... is pretty damned slim.

Comment

Most people that randomly find our server, without finding the forums first, are searching for servers running certain maps. Usually stock maps, so this shouldn't be to big of an issue.

Comment

I don't know of a way to restrict fast downloads to a subset of SteamIDs.
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X