Resources for a newbie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources for a newbie?

I was wondering if any of you had any good links or anything(besides the SOP's, i have read them, read them again, and will read them a third time :))for a complete noob to CS. I'm VERY new at CS, i don't think i've played more them 6 hours total, but i enjoy the game, especially the way it's played here. It's a great change of pace from the BF2 that brought me here and I'd like to play more but i don't feel i do enough for the team. I try to follow orders the best i can but i don't know the maps and it can be frustrating to have to say that every map change but i know the only way to learn them is through practice. Do you have any good tips for aiming/movement and when to throw grenades(this seems to give me the most trouble)? Besides that, some basic tactics stuff would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Penguin

---

Re: Resources for a newbie?

The only thing about nades is that when u throw them try to stand still. It does take practice. The nade will go to whatever side you run. (running right, nade drifts right) You can run foward to get a little extre juice on the nades. For aiming you can type cl_crosshairscale 3000 in console and the crosshair gets more exact. if you are moving the shots wont be strait. The only thing i can tell you is to just keep practicing.

Ive heard people talking about making a target for a spray and just shooting that, but im not a big fan. If you'd like im getting onSetvet 1 now and we can play a little.

Comment

Steel,

There are some good posts in the tactics forum you should check out. Bump em and discuss them.

To learn maps you can either play them offline or just play them online. Eventually you'll get them. If i were you when i'm online i'd find a known good player to stick to and help watch his back.

Nades are an art form as has been discussed in the tactics forum. Using good movement/footwork will do alot for your game as well.

- -

Comment

Thanks. I'll try to sit down tonight and do some reading :).

---

Comment

The game is really fun. You shouldnt feel as if your not helping your team though. if your a ct o a t with a buy menu infront of you then your a big help. It is PCS so you should practice your play style on another server if your not comfortable yet. while your playing on ours though you can type listmaps then check your console to see the map rotation. then look for those on other servers or just play them offline. i feel worthless sometimes when i have a bad score and stuff, but technically thats wrong. you have to consider yourself a big help. thats the only way you can be one. look foward to playin with you and killin you dead.

Comment

Grenades Tip:
            Normal throw from standing still gets decent range, normal arc.
            Moving forward gets a lower arc but more distance.
            Moving backward gets a higher arc and less distance.
            Grenades bounce well around corners and such. Use that to your advantage, especially with flashbangs.
            The closer a flashbang goes off to someone, the stronger the effect. :)

Comment

Originally posted by poe
              The closer a flashbang goes off to someone, the stronger the effect. :)
              I got a quickie.

If someone throws a flashbang in a room, and you look and move into a corner before it goes off, does it blind you for the same amount of time?

I could never stop it from not blinding me.

Any tips?
              There should be a command that does this

Comment

You should play through some of HL2 single player if you have it. Its great for learning the controls and teaching you to shoot. (If you only bought the CS:S game then you don't get the HL2 single player, sorry.)

The only other thing to do is read the SOP's which you've already done and then come play with us. You don't have to be a good shooter and you don't have to know the maps, just come and be willing to listen and learn. The best thing you can do is stick with an experienced team mate and soak it all in.
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I've been kind of ignoring the HL2 single player but now i guess i'll play it through. The controls are a little different from BF2 but the thing that seems to mess with me most is the comm system. I'm really used to BF2's comm rose and using the number keys will take some getting used too.

---

Comment

I don't really use the radio chat that much, only the affirmative or negative or ocassional other one.

Voice comm's are used much more heavily.

- -

Comment

Cool. I feel more comfortable using voice comms anyway. The radio message system is pretty clumsy.

---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X