Rate hacks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate hacks?

I ended up in pub-land yesterday, so I found myself a nice low-ping UK server. A couple of guys on there accused me of hacking through use of things like cl_updaterate.

The guy who was complaining the most just happened to be the guy who fell victim to tactical play, so my question to those of you who know - is there a hack involving rates? My ping was a very consistant 5 according to the scoreboard, which does seem odd to me. Apparently I was moving around like I was lagging.

Was it me, was it their server settings, or was it just fragmonkeys crying because they got spanked by tactics?

(If you can't speak with authority on the issue of rates, please don't post. We don't need pubbie-bashing or anything here).

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Rack hacks?

There are no hacks involving rates as far as I know. There is no need to hack rates because you can change them easily in your console. Some people exploit this by bottlenecking their connection to make themselves lag and gain an advantage.

Comment

Re: Rack hacks?

Fix thread name.

"Hack" goes to intent, which I won't bother with here.

The following is true in HL1, so I assume it's true in HL2.

It is possible to change your rates such that your ping drops significantly when it's displayed on the scoreboard. This (the associated rate changes, not, of course, the mere existance of a validly-low ping on the scoreboard) destroys, however, the mechanic by which your client exchanges information with the server. You usually sending an insufficient amount of data to the server during your gameplay, so other players have an awful time hitting you while you have no problem (or less difficulty than they've having with you) hitting them.

Someone else more knowledgeable of HL2 rates should confirm that this HL1 approach fits HL2, but, I use the following for a broadband connection:

rate 15000-20000 (I'm thinking anything over 15000 is moot)
      cl_updaterate X
      cl_cmdrate Y

X = (avg fps / 2)
      Y = (avg fps)

My rates, as I run at 100 FPS (in HL1):

rate 20000
      cl_updaterate 50
      cl_cmdrate 100

Also regarding rates: cl_cmdrate directly impacts the rate at which your client sends information to the server. Voicecomm (especially the World War I -era codec CSS uses *shudder*) consumes a lot of throughput, so increasing cl_cmdrate from its default value of 20 (or 30?) can sometimes -- I'll wager an "often" -- remedy the problem of others claiming that your voicecomm "breaks up" when you speak. By raising your cl_cmdrate (no higher than your avg fps), you're telling your client to consume a bit more of your internet connection when it sends data (no broadband connection's throughput is even nearly consumed by any online gaming client).

If you're in another city from the server, you're VERY UNLIKELY to ping as well to a server as if you're on a LAN. So, if someone pings that low, you wanna start talking to them about their location, their rates, and how you can help them with their rates.

There's a cat who wanders into the NS server regularly. Dude pings below 15 consistently. I've checked his rates, and the low ping is truly representative of his network latency. He's in Dallas, so it makes sense.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Re: Rate hacks?

15!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna trade with him. What's my high so far Wyz, 200??

Comment

2400+

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yeah I meant 2000, but 2400 + works

Comment

cl_updaterate 101, increases my fps significantly compared to cl_updaterate 100

Comment

There is a bug in cs:s that shows your ping at 5 when your rates are set a certin way, low I believe. While this most likely doesn't cause you to be hard to hit or anything, people just freak out because the ping is at 5.

Comment

My opinion is that you play on a US server all the time, and you are located in the UK. So, when you play a UK server your rates are configured for a US server, this may cause something. I am not real sure. This could only be true if you have actually adjusted you rates....

Comment

This reminds me of the E vs D in the tourney, when sniper and BATMAN had their pings jump to 900+. Sniper was the only one left, with either 1 or 2 health. It was on office, and either the first two or the last two hostages were outside when sniper deagled their CT. 3 CT's left, and Sniper managed to win. Beauty in a bottle.

Wyz, if my average FPS is 72 and I have a 291 k according to toast.net,
                    rate 20000
                    cl_updaterate 36
                    cl_cmdrate 72
                    Would be good to enter into NS console? Currently everything is default.

Comment

Given my understanding, those settings would be great.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X