de_spirits beta test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de_spirits beta test

Hey guys, I mentioned in the cs_retreat thread a while ago that I was working on a new map and we spoke of the possibility of you lot helping me beta test it. Well I'm approaching the stage now where I think I'm reasonably close to getting a playable beta up and running so I was hoping you'd still be interested in helping me out.

Technically things are a little rough and ready at the moment, with some FPS sore spots, no skybox, etc, but I've got all the technical stuff covered and I'll deal with that stuff in time... I'd really like you guys to help me out with the tactics and gameplay of the thing because from what I see that is the important aspect for you.

I can see where I am going with technicalities off the map but for the gameplay I'm really not sure how things will playout and the bots are just friggin awful, always sticking to a single route, etc.

Anyway I just need to throw down some vital sniper cover in some spots, fix a couple off major bugs and then get the map compressed into one bsp and I guess it'll be ready to go... maybe by early/mid next week?

Lemme know if your up for it. Thanks.

EDIT/ I can't post links or imgs because of my post count apparantly :/ Theres some overview screenshots and stuff over at interlopers.net in their 'under construction' forum.

Re: de_spirits beta test

what is a skybox btw?

Comment

The skys in maps are really just walls with a clever texture on them to make them look like seamless sky. Thats the 2d skybox, I've got one off those.

The 3d skybox is putting detail like mountains, buildings, etc around the borders of your level (but not really.... its hard to explain). Like the little villages in the background on the dustmaps, or the skyscrapers in assault and office. Bits the the player can't interact with, but make the level feel like its are part of a bigger environment. I haven't made one for this map yet so it looks a little bit like its floating in space hehe.

If you fly out off the level in any of the offical maps you'll find a mini level floating outsomewhere in the void. That is the 3d Skybox which is scaled up and placed around the borders of the map when you are within its boundaries.

Comment

Thread moved to general discussion as the map is not currently on the server.

Xj2 if you want to post links or images, you're welcome to PM them to me and I'll add them here. As soon as you post a link here, I'll add the map to the server, and we'll happily test it for you.
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

This will be neat :)
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

i always wondered what those little maps were out in space

Comment

This map is now released.

I can't post links though (um...why?). You can find it at the steam forums in the CSS maps section.

Comment

Awesome!
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Xj2
                  I can't post links though (um...why?). You can find it at the steam forums in the CSS maps section.
                  Your post count isn't high enough. You can PM me links, and I'll post them for you.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

There are 4 screen shots and a download link on the Steampowered forums.

Or you can click on these:

Screenshot 1
                    Screenshot 2
                    Screenshot 3
                    Screenshot 4

Download
                    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Links are always good - thanks HSantal

Originally posted by HSantal
                      There are 4 screen shots and a download link on the Steampowered forums.

Or you can click on these:

Screenshot 1
                      Screenshot 2
                      Screenshot 3
                      Screenshot 4

Download
                      I'll add this to the server next week.
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Root, will this beta test be a server 2 thing only? I'd very much like to try it out... it reminds me a LOT of de_church for 1.6- I loved that map.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest
                          Root, will this beta test be a server 2 thing only? I'd very much like to try it out... it reminds me a LOT of de_church for 1.6- I loved that map.
                          As we're beta testing the map for Xj2, I'll put it on server 1.

Feedback on this map should be posted in the correct thread in the map discussion forum.
                          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Roger that. I hope to get it in rotation tonight :)

Comment

Well its not really a beta-test anymore cos the map is on full release, with no major bugs or anything so its probably the final. I maxed out on a lot of the things that the Source engine has limits for so I couldn't really add much more to this map even if I had wanted, plus after 6 months i just got damn impatient lol.

I'll be interested to see what you guys make of it though. I've played it on a few public servers varying from 40+ players down to 5vs5 matches and it plays pretty well, although not at all how I expected. Basically CT's can EASILY get to either bombsite WAY before the Terrorists, yet on the servers I played the Terrorists manage to plant the bomb nearly every round. Mostly it seems because the CT's wander off to explore their surroundings instead of protecting the bombsites, maybe they will learn over time once they understand the layout properly (although I think its pretty simple!).

I really thought it was gonna be too CT biased but in practice its more balanced than that luckily, and if anything T's have an advantage (how that is, I have no idea, really :P). The way you guys play though I think it will work pretty well. CT's defending bombsites and staying close to them at all times. T's trying to scout out an unprotected route in.

The other main feedback I had is people think this map is totally huge. I know it is big, but I don't think its that massive. "Makes harvest looks small" someone told me... I'll let you make of that what you will. ;)

Enjoy the map (I hopes)...
                              Cheers, Xj2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...