Question for PCS Proven players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for PCS Proven players

In order to provide the best PCS experience for you, I need all the relevant information.

Server 2 is quite simply not being used by you as a group. This server is a haven from smacktards and pubbies. On server 2 you can be certain that the guy on your six is there because he's proved to us that he understands the responsibilities of that position, and is worthy of being there. You can be certain that he won't be alive if an OpFor kills you from that direction.

As a group, you have been given a greater degree of control over the server than our guests and members on server 1 get. Config changes, weapons, variations on the game - all these things can be considered, yet server 1 remains your weapon of choice. Even when there are 6-8 PCS Proven players on server 1, there's no mention of switching to server 2.

Not only does server 2 provide you with a place where the only players are PCS, but by removing that many players from server 1 at any given time, means that more members that would like to be PCS Proven can get on and show us they belong.

This tells me that I have not yet achieved my objective. Nothing obvious springs to mind, hence this thread. I am lacking the information I need to deliver the PCS experience you want. Please use this thread (or PM if you desire) to tell me what else I need to do for you. This is about your enjoyment when you play PCS, so it's vital that you speak up.

Members who are not PCS Proven are neither encouraged nor invited to participate in this thread. It is for exisiting PCS Proven players to tell me exactly what their needs are with regard to the server, in order that they prefer to use it over server 1. Over to you guys....
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Question for PCS Proven players

The lack of use for the PCS Proven excluse server boils down to one reason, I believe. Players. I do not mean quality, but quantity. A 6v6 is much more enjoyable than a 1v1, or 2v2 (typically). Nobody really wants to sit on a server forever and wait for people to join.

Having a group switch from one server to another is a hassle, which is why it's probably not done.

I have one suggestion currently: putting one bot on server 2, on hard or expert difficulty. This will allow any waiting player to at least have something to do while waiting for more people to join.

EDIT: GeneralWang, I couldn't disagree more, but that isn't for here. Also...
    Originally posted by Root
    Members who are not PCS Proven are neither encouraged nor invited to participate in this thread.

Comment

RL projects have gotten in the way of me playing for about a week....the last time I played was the last round before the update that broke all the mani stuff. :(

Otherwise yes, I'd be on server2 enjoying it, or if there isn't enough PCS players on server2 for a game I'd be trying to help "keep the PCS" on server1.
      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I completely agree with Poe. If there were a few more people on the sever i would be on more often. Maybe we could find a day when most of us can get on the server and designate it a server 2 day.

---

Comment

Basically, my ideas are the same as said before. I gladly check out s2 before I even go to s1. I'll wait a couple of minutes, and if nobody shows I go to s1. Once at s1 I evaluate my experience, and then decide to ask other PCS Proven members to go to s2. I haven't played heavily in a while, but the action today on s1 was excellent, and I did not feel the need to go to s2 to have a good time. Root, none of this is your fault, and you have done a great job preparing the servers for us, but the main problem is the lack of PCS Proven members on the server at the same time. Today I played with 3 other PCS Proven members, and we had an excellent time on s1, and even enlightened a couple pubbies of PCS ideals. I would like to play 2v2 on Italy reloaded, but I think that a 6v6 game on dust2 with no rule infractions is equally desirable. Root, you shouldn't feel that any of this is even remotely attributed to your actions. All in all, you are doing an excellent job, and I commend you for your work. The same thing happened with s2 and s1 before the shakedown, so it really isn't anything new. "Humans are like robots, they tend to group together," – i robot.

Possibly you can PM a list of PCS Proven members to PCS Proven members, or make a list that automatically updates or something. This would, in turn, allow PCS Proven members to recognize other PCS Proven members in s1. Some members choose not to wear the |PCS Proven| tag and it is difficult to quickly asses who are members or not, which makes the decision to switch to s2 harder.

Possibly you could grant PCS Proven members the right to start a mapvote in s2. That would greatly increase its popularity because members wouldn't have to pass through all those boring maps that everyone plays 100 times a day.

Comment

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I'm sharing the same opinion here. I'll always check server two first and I'll join for 10 minutes or so. If no one shows then I'll check server one or just go play Q3.

Even before this change I was always one for mentioning heading to server two whilst playing in server one. Believe me I'd much rather play in server two but it's simply not enjoyable 1v1, 2v1 or 1v0, heh...

Now with that in mind, aside from the weekends, I usually don't play until late at night, as I work an evening shift and don't get home until 11:30PM EST. What I've noticed in the last month or so is a lack of players playing period, in both server one and server two.

Also, how many PCS Proven players do we currently have? I mean I've only noticed maybe 7 or 8 total, so unless I'm missing something that's also a contributing factor. Nothing you can do about that because you can't just grant everyone access for the sole purpose of more traffic because obviously that defeats the purpose of having server two or PCS Proven in the first place.

I don't know. It has absolutely nothing to do with you, Root. Just maybe the current number of players and conflicting schedules. I'd imagine in due time things will pick up.

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

I'm currently under a MOUNTAIN of work, so when I check server status I realize I'm not going to be on for 5 maps. If I see players on a server, then I pick that server. I simply don't have the time/patience to wait around on server 2, where I have to pay attention. I can't just log in and leave my computer, checking to see if someone joins. If they join and I'm afk, they leave.

Here's an interesting whim of an idea: Server 2 is open. Public. PCS Proven players have admin over non-PCS proven. They can change the status of the server from passworded to public and back, if they feel they have a good crowd. It is the responsibility of the proven to tighten their game. It'll be better than SM adminship, since Jimmy Brat can steal his moms credit card number and instantly have admin on our servers.

But honestly, I think it'll all come down to BF2 dieing down a little. That + WoW really seemed to be a people-taker. I mean, its hard to get a game going with only a select few/many/select able to start one. If we get more people, then starting a game will be easier/more-often, and after its started we can then weed out of the bad.

Comment

I don't really know that it has anything to do with the idea of this thread, but in any event , the subject of possible 'BF2 medals' for CS:S idea was thrown around a little bit here. Any updates on that or is it still just a mere possibility?

I think the CS:S community here (perhaps the PCS Proven group?) should think up something similar to that system but different - in a way to distinguish us from them so to speak. I actually don't really like the idea of copying the medals but rather have something different, something else to mark accomplishments and/or skills of certain players.

Maybe this could be something the PCS Proven group can discuss/brainstorm.

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

Originally posted by beth
                  Possibly you could grant PCS Proven members the right to start a mapvote in s2. That would greatly increase its popularity because members wouldn't have to pass through all those boring maps that everyone plays 100 times a day.
                  I'm already looking into this idea. Subject to technical issues, its something I would like to implement.

Originally posted by poe
                  Having a group switch from one server to another is a hassle, which is why it's probably not done.
                  So your definition of hassle involves hitting escape, clicking on find servers, clicking on favourites and double clicking on server 2?

Originally posted by poe
                  I have one suggestion currently: putting one bot on server 2, on hard or expert difficulty. This will allow any waiting player to at least have something to do while waiting for more people to join.[/b]

Bots are a pile of crap. That said, I think your idea has merit in these circumstances. I've seen servers where a bot leaves as soon as a human joins that team, and then the bot re-joins if a player leaves. If we leave 1v1 bots running when no-ones on, [b]and
                  give you all map change privileges I think it will keep the map rotation mixed up a bit better.

Should I put all PCS suitable maps into a huge rotation on server 2? Would that keep things a bit more interesting?

Originally posted by steel penguin
                  I completely agree with Poe. If there were a few more people on the sever i would be on more often. Maybe we could find a day when most of us can get on the server and designate it a server 2 day.
                  That would be a good start. Who's going to organise it? Is there a PCS Proven player that has the time, enthusiasm and organisation to make this happen?

Originally posted by broken
                  Also, how many PCS Proven players do we currently have? I mean I've only noticed maybe 7 or 8 total, so unless I'm missing something that's also a contributing factor.
                  Including some (not all admins have signed up yet) admins, it's closer to 30 players. Adding more is an ongoing thing. No player will get PCS Proven if they don't meet the standard, no player that meets the standard will be delayed in getting PCS Proven.

Originally posted by kark
                  Here's an interesting whim of an idea: Server 2 is open. Public. PCS Proven players have admin over non-PCS proven. They can change the status of the server from passworded to public and back, if they feel they have a good crowd.
                  A good idea, but it defeats the purpose of server 2. We're gradually adding more temp admins to the mix, so we will be able to implement this idea on server 1.

But honestly, I think it'll all come down to BF2 dieing down a little. That + WoW really seemed to be a people-taker.
                  We certainly suffered a hit when those games came out. Having said that, I've seen 6-8 (and sometimes more) PCS Proven players on server 1. 3v3 is perfectly good fun - hell you can even play small maps like port and tides with those numbers. The fact that those players aren't moving to server 2 (or even talking about doing so) suggests that they are not satisfied with server 2, hence this thread.

Originally posted by broken
                  the subject of possible 'BF2 medals' for CS:S idea was thrown around a little bit here.
                  I'm not going to rule that in OR out at the moment. What could we issue medals for though? Distinguished medic perhaps? :)

As far as medals go, PM any member of the CS:S Dev team. We're already discussing the issue, so give them your thoughts.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Another factor that isn't mentioned here is people enjoying playing with the non pcs proven group we have here. Even though they aren't in the PCS Proven group they are still enjoyable to play with and are coming into form. I think of it as a method to get more PCS Proven and thus more people to play server 2. While the numbers are varying on how many people in the PCS Proven group are regularly active in CS, It's not enough. The biggest problem is more PCS players and always has been. If we make the effort to help people become PCS Proven we'll then have more people to join server 2 at any given time.

2v2 3v3 is and can be fun but it's not always want everyone wants to play. I enjoy more people as it makes for more possibilities. I also like helping others learn, which i think many others enjoy too.

- -

Comment

I would think the leadership and coordination is the burden, Root, not the keystrokes.

Any one person can change servers. Coordinating 8 persons to do so simultaneously is the feat.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                        Any one person can change servers. Coordinating 8 persons to do so simultaneously is the feat.
                        I'm happy to kick all the PCS Proven players in one go if that helps :):D
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I know this idea has its downside, but how about stats for server 2? And I'm not just talking kill/death ratio. If that is all it was it would be worthless. But stats including plants/defuses/hostage rescues/hostage kills. Especially like weekly awards for most plants, most defuses, the infamous most TK's(<---point and laugh), etc.

I always thought that stats were a double edged sword. For some, they drew out the deathmatch in them. That is the bad side. But for a lot of people, I thought it was something interesting that helped add to the gaming experience and draw a community together. To be able to see what others are doing in the game even when you aren't playing. Yes, to strive to be better with a particular weapon is part of it too. But also to see who your nemesis is(person who kills you the most), who the best teammates are(wins/losses as T's and CT's, the guys who sneak in and defuse, get the hostages back, etc).

Anyway, in the PCS Proven group, I'd tend to trust them not to let the stats draw them towards the dark side, and use them for good. ;) And it'd be an additional draw to play on server 2, to be part of that community within the community.

Just a thought, I know it has a downside that many may feel out ways any good.

Man, I need to get time to play me some PCS... and I think we'll be crawling over each other to get on server 2 when the as_ maps arrive. At least, I'm salivating.

Comment

I would hate stats. Just my opinion, but STATS = PAS BON!!!
                            I understand that they would also measure objectives, but stats would just bring in bad stuff, I can't quite explain it in words, but stats would NOT fit the image of TG IMO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by .143 Beth&#169;
                              I would hate stats. Just my opinion, but STATS = PAS BON!!!
                              I understand that they would also measure objectives, but stats would just bring in bad stuff, I can't quite explain it in words, but stats would NOT fit the image of TG IMO!!!
                              Agreed. The only Stat I find useful is kills per weapon, and that is because I am interested in increasing my accuracy. Other than that, stats encourage "me-first" thinking.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X