? about lan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about lan

if i were to have a lan at my house, would i have admin abilities since i created the game? if not, then how could i get admin abilities? also, how do i use the admin commands? thanks for the help (im such a noob :( )

Re: ? about lan

Originally posted by pimpcain
    if i were to have a lan at my house, would i have admin abilities since i created the game? if not, then how could i get admin abilities? also, how do i use the admin commands? thanks for the help (im such a noob :( )
    I posted a link in this forum, which gave a pretty comprehensive guide to setting up CS:S on a LAN. If you set an rcon password in the server config file, then this will give you admin commands via rcon. If you want something easier to manage, you'd have to look at www.mani-admin-plugin.com or beetles website.

Do a search through this forum for anything relating to setting up a server - I can't remember what thread I posted in.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
      I posted a link in this forum, which gave a pretty comprehensive guide to setting up CS:S on a LAN. If you set an rcon password in the server config file, then this will give you admin commands via rcon. If you want something easier to manage, you'd have to look at www.mani-admin-plugin.com or beetles website.

Do a search through this forum for anything relating to setting up a server - I can't remember what thread I posted in.
      thanks alot root!

Comment

Let me just note, that that is restricted only to a dedicated server. If you host the game through CSS, and have others joining it, all you can do is change the cvars (sv_cheats sv_gravity etc. etc.) which really should get you by.

If you do go with the dedicated server idea, you CAN set the rcon_password to something and then play on your machine as long as you set the rcon_password in your console to whatever it is on the server box. That will allow you to do all the things that you could if the server was running off your machine (dumb eh?) which is really counter-productive to whatever you are wanting to do simply due to the time that it takes to get srcds even installed and updated. The pro's to a dedicated server are that you can download and install one of the many admin mods, I prefer mani's as it is nice and simple to use once you get beyond the config. Mainly because once you get it set up and configured you can go in game on the machine you are playing from, have the rcon set, have your steam_id in adminlist.cfg and do this, "bind [key] admin" and it pops up the admin menu with all of the commands on it. Oh, and don't forget, if you go through the hassle of doing all this, if you have a decent internet connection, you can host the server online, although, that is a whole different story really. Thats when things start to get annoying and time-consuming fo' rizeal yo.

-Steve

Oh, and if you want to set up a dedicated server, the guide the root posted is quite good. You can find it on the steampowered forums I believe*. It was a sticky if my memory is valid.

|CS:S Dev Team|

root: I do it to
        steve: OMG
        steve: TOO
        root: ****ing hell
        root: Spelling nazi down! MEDIC!

Go ahead, you know you all envy me, I corrected root's grammar :D

Comment

so am i correct in thinking that it is not worth it for a little lan between a few friends at my house?

Comment

Originally posted by pimpcain
            so am i correct in thinking that it is not worth it for a little lan between a few friends at my house?
            If you're planning on regularly playing on a LAN, and you have a box to spare, it might be worth usring srcds (dedicated server). That way, if you keep it up to date you'll be able to play straight away in future. Srcds is also good if you want more control over a server than if you host through CS:S.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
              If you're planning on regularly playing on a LAN, and you have a box to spare, it might be worth usring srcds (dedicated server). That way, if you keep it up to date you'll be able to play straight away in future. Srcds is also good if you want more control over a server than if you host through CS:S.
              ohhhhh. i see. well it was nothing big like that, just a few friends celebrating getting the first of our exams over with. thanks for the input though. im gonna keep it in mind for the future

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X