Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counter Strike, Counter Strike Source, Counter Strike 1.6 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter Strike, Counter Strike Source, Counter Strike 1.6 ?

Hey all,

My son is planning on using some of his christmas money to start playing Counter Strike. I play a lot of BF2 on TG and I recommended he look to TG to play Counter Strike. He likes that idea and we've found Half Life 2 Game of the year edition which includes Counter Strike Source.

He also has some friends who play Half life CS 1.6. Do we need two versions of this game to run both flavors of CS or will he be able to play 1.6 mp with his mates using CSS.

Thanks for the help. :madsmile:
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Counter Strike, Counter Strike Source, Counter Strike 1.6 ?

CS 1.6 uses the original HL engine, while CS:S uses the Source (HL2) engine. Completely different beasts.

If you want to play both, you need both.

Comment

Yeah, but it doesn't matter because depending on how you do it, 1.6 costs about $5.

Comment

If im not mistaken....doesnt the GOTY edition of HL2 come with HL1 source? couldnt he use this to then download 1.6 and play?

Comment

Originally posted by section-8
          If im not mistaken....doesnt the GOTY edition of HL2 come with HL1 source? couldnt he use this to then download 1.6 and play?
          CSS is it's very own game, more than just a mod. You can pick up the bundle for HL1 though (HL1, Blue Shift, Counter-Strike, and Team Fortress), for $20 tops.

Comment

Originally posted by poe
            CSS is it's very own game, more than just a mod. You can pick up the bundle for HL1 though (HL1, Blue Shift, Counter-Strike, and Team Fortress), for $20 tops.
            im confused as to why you quoted me on this...

Comment

Originally posted by section-8
              im confused as to why you quoted me on this...
              I think cause you have to buy CS seperately, not just d/l for free, which I got the impression of. I don't know now though.

Comment

Actually, HL1 Source is on the SOurce engine. It's not on the Halflife 1 engine.

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
                  Actually, HL1 Source is on the SOurce engine. It's not on the Halflife 1 engine.
                  oh yeah...good point

Comment

Originally posted by poe
                    I think cause you have to buy CS seperately, not just d/l for free, which I got the impression of. I don't know now though.
                    well..now it is...i was just thinking that he could use the hl1 included in the GOTY to download 1.6....1.6 is free(or at least it was last time i checked) to those who own HL1....

Comment

Just download half life for like 9 bucks, and then download Counter Strike for it. Simple as that :)

Comment

Originally posted by Robbym70
                        Hey all,

My son is planning on using some of his christmas money to start playing Counter Strike. I play a lot of BF2 on TG and I recommended he look to TG to play Counter Strike. He likes that idea and we've found Half Life 2 Game of the year edition which includes Counter Strike Source.

He also has some friends who play Half life CS 1.6. Do we need two versions of this game to run both flavors of CS or will he be able to play 1.6 mp with his mates using CSS.

Thanks for the help. :madsmile:
                        If he wants to play here, he needs to have CS: Source. You can (or used to be able to) buy a package deal from Steam that includes HL2, CS:S, Day of Defeat: Source and the entire HL1 back library and Condition Zero (which is just single player CS 1.6, basically) for around $60. Pretty good deal, especially if you don't already have the old original games. This would let him play CS:S here and CS 1.6 with his friends.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                          If he wants to play here, he needs to have CS: Source. You can (or used to be able to) buy a package deal from Steam that includes HL2, CS:S, Day of Defeat: Source and the entire HL1 back library and Condition Zero (which is just single player CS 1.6, basically) for around $60. Pretty good deal, especially if you don't already have the old original games. This would let him play CS:S here and CS 1.6 with his friends.

I thought he had CS:S allready? If he doesnt have this package your talking about, just get him the $9 game His kid just wants to be able to play both, CS and CS:S (I THINK?) I though his friends and him wanted to play CS, and I allready know that TG doesnt have a CS server. I was just pointing how cheap HL1 is.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X