Respect for the Newb.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect for the Newb.

Many of you know me, some of you don't...or mistake me for Dirtboy. Anyhow, I've been playing CS:S here at TG for a year now and have seen a lot of changes take place in that time. One thing I had never wished to see is regulars to our server being hard on the new players. PCS isn't like the pubs these players are used to, but just because they Rush their first time on the server doesn't mean everyone on the server should start spaming: "WTF Mr. X is Rushing.", "Mr. X WTH are you doing?" etc. Instead of berating the poor fellow, how about trying to be helpful? The regulars and Provens are what make our server special, but how are we going to bring more players on board if we alienate them from the first round they are playing with us?

This is from one of my first posts here:

"When it comes to rushers or random behavior that we find unsuitable for tactical play, we should be a bit more tolerant...be patient....explain our rules clearly. don't say, as i've observed: "Do/don't do X or leave!" when i first jumped on the server i was a total Newb, i had never played CS before, and didn't know the maps let alone TG's rules. first offense: got a warning for rushing. i had no idea what the heck rushing was, let alone why i shouldn't be doing it....so i decided to stick with the team. bomb down at A, i'm at B...lose team....got land mined for not defending objective. now i'm Really confused. fortunately after the land mine a TG member, not even an admin...started messaging me...explaining what was up. if it weren't for that player taking the time to explain to me what was going on, i would have left...or eventually got booted. so my point, take the time to try to correct the problem...it's frustrating at times when all you really want to do is play the game you love....but in the end it's well worth the effort."

I'm guilty of getting frustrated w/ new players too, i'm not perfect, but i am going to make a concerted effort to be more tolerent, more helpful...always. Hope some of you will join me.
    Last edited by Dirt013; 03-27-2006, 05:33 PM.
    Dirt013

Re: Respect for the Newb.

Originally posted by Dirt013
    Many of you know me, some of you don't...or mistake me for Dirtboy. .
    Who dosent want to be me...lol:)(seriously no one reply)

Anyway Dirt makes an excellent point, I am guilty of jumping on someones butt for not following the rules and doing other stupid things. But after I calm myself down and drink another beer,I try to become a mentor and/or role model for the newbs to this community. For Example, Gobe was not that good at all and very bothersome. So after I threw a fit at him and calmed myself down I then took on more of suporvisor rather than a disciplinarian( i think thats how you spell it). I pm'd him and told him what is expected and what is sought after for the new and up coming players to our wonderful community. I have said it before and I will say it again...Newbs will always be the backbone for TG...always. There will always be there...wanting to learn...wanting to lead. For example, look at most of the PCSP's..they were newbs for several months before they got where they are today. They will be there soon too...I call it "The Circle of Life"...lol:)

Dirtboy out
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

As a recent newb to TG:CS I can attest that there are some who just plain suck at handling newbs. On de_3rdstreet the first time I was T and told my team my situation (new, don't know map) and they kept asking where I wanted to go. Finally I just started moving in a direction, and my team went the other way. Apparently they were just taking the elevator, but by the time I backtracked to them the door closed and I was thoroughly confused. This is a good place to mention that it never helps to yell and swear at someone who is new. Because, that's what fol owed. I spent most of the map trying, unsuccessfully, to communicate I was new and lost but received no directions. It's no use in going on how the round ended at that game went, you can guess.

Now, I know de_3rdstreet quite well and can play both sides fine. But, that wasn't until a certain PCS ( forgot who, exactly :o) player had me tag along with him and pointed out the sights. Even assigning a new player to a group with an easy job is helpful. I'd here so-and-so, go to <unknown location>, Hairy, you follow. Suddenly, by the end of the map, I know where that location is. :O

One more thing, not saying anything can be just as bad as cussing someone out. When someone else is doing it and you let it go, you give the impression you agree. You don't have to make enemies with the guy swearing to make it stop.

Comment

i can't say i'm good with handling newbs, but i'm not a jerk about it either

i'm really calm about the matter, i just simply say "hey, *insert name here*, you shouldn't be rushing into the CT/T spawn, please type 'motd' to learn more"

but after about the 3rd or 4th time after that, and they keep going, that's when nice Radical Dreamer ends, lol :)

Comment

Yesterday I had to speak with someone for doing this to a new player on militia.

I appreciate someone speaking to their new team mate in a respectful and adult manner to explain our way of playing, but I don't think freaking out or giving the classic ultimatim of "love it or leave it" really gets us anywhere.

If there is a problem with someone in game who won't listen or are argumentative with you can easily send any admin that is on a private message in game and we will deal with it, many of you already do this and it helps.
          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

It can be very hard being a new player at anything. There are mods I have tried that I eventually left because they were complicated and no one ever took the time to help explain.

There is alot of game specific lingo that new people can't understand, and even old players who just haven't played specific maps.

One of the most frustrating experiences you can have is not understanding what someone is telling you, all they while they get angrier and angrier, and you are all the closer to a ban. I often have to ask 3+ times in game to get someone to explain what something is that I don't understand.

The conversation goes something like this.

"No Aclktes"
            "What is Aclktes?"
            <time passes>
            "No Aclktes."
            "I don't know what Aclktes is, can someone explain?"
            <time passes>
            "No Aclktes, or ban."
            "WTF IS ACLKTES?"

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate

"No Aclktes"
              "What is Aclktes?"
              <time passes>
              "No Aclktes."
              "I don't know what Aclktes is, can someone explain?"
              <time passes>
              "No Aclktes, or ban."
              "WTF IS ACLKTES?"

What are Aclktes? Serously:(
              "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy
                What are Aclktes? Serously:(
                I am going to sound stupid asking this if Aclktes is some kind of fictional language...
                But ya...What are Aclktes?

Comment

Who dosent want to be me...lol:)
                  I think I'd want my new Harvest Moon game more :D (TOMORROW!!!!)

Comment

Nice thread Dirt013, when I first came to the server I think you were one of the first to introduce me around on some of the maps and I would nerver get you confused with that Dirtboy...LOL! Much Thanks for the help!

We have grown into a great server of regulars and get some intense games going between us and sometimes it is hard to slow down to help the new person out.

We were all there once...So lets just keep the high standards of the server up and not sink in to the normal PUB mode...

Dirtboy out... of closet!:row__642:
                    I am not gonna bring up your comment about the Britney Spears and Bear Rug Post!!!! LOL!:madsmile:

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

This pretty much sums up my attitude on the issue.

If I see someone being outwardly immature when dealing with a new player, one of them is going to get a time-out. And it isn't going to be the new player. I've said this before: You don't have to like or be nice to anyone on the server, but you will be respectful and mature at all times.

The issue still comes up because no one cops this kind of attitude when a known admin is present. And it makes me sad that it comes up at all.

But there are ways to deal with abusive TG regs and members. The "newb" doesn't know this. So if you see it going on, use one of those methods to contact an admin and he'll handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt013
                        I'm guilty of getting frustrated w/ new players too, i'm not perfect, but i am going to make a concerted effort to be more tolerent, more helpful...always. Hope some of you will join me.
                        I'll join you.

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
                        [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
                        [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

The other night a player new to PCS came on and started rushing a lot. We tried to communicate the rules of the server, but at first he didn't listen. We did start to get rough on him, but in the end he got the hang of it, and stuck with it even though he didn't really like it. Then, late last night there was another new to PCS player, and it was only 2v2, and he was on my team. He was very nice though and actively tried to learn and follow the rules, even though I don't think I did the best job teaching him.
                          I think it partly rests on the attentiveness and cooperation of the new person to keep things from getting out of hand. But things shouldn't have to escalate past a given point, and while I don't play constantly, I've only rarely seen anything get out of hand with a new guy on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai
                            The other night a player new to PCS came on and started rushing a lot. We tried to communicate the rules of the server, but at first he didn't listen. We did start to get rough on him, but in the end he got the hang of it, and stuck with it even though he didn't really like it. Then, late last night there was another new to PCS player, and it was only 2v2, and he was on my team. He was very nice though and actively tried to learn and follow the rules, even though I don't think I did the best job teaching him.
                            I think it partly rests on the attentiveness and cooperation of the new person to keep things from getting out of hand. But things shouldn't have to escalate past a given point, and while I don't play constantly, I've only rarely seen anything get out of hand with a new guy on the server.
                            Yeah, that latter new guy was great. He said he's from the BF2 server. Great to see people hopping over to check out this community now and again :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X