Problematic Audio: Any Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problematic Audio: Any Ideas?

Hey, all, I'm new to CS:S, and newer still to TG, but I love the game, and I like the concept behind playing tactically even more. I've played on the TG server a time or two, though, and communication is a mess.
    In general, the clearest message I get from voice sounds something like, "Mrrfle! Frrble drrfle squee . . . flarp." Some, as is normal in voice, are just so quiet I can't hear them.
    Now, if I have my volume pegged on windows sound control and around 75% on my stock Dell desktop speakers, the messages *approach* being understandable. For instance, the word "squee" from above becomes recognizable as "sniper," and I can sort of figure out what "flarp" meant while I'm in clicking around in spectator mode, courtesy of that squee up in the drrfle.
    Now, I have a usb headset - it's the socom set, runs on a logitech driver on XP, but it's not as useful as it could be here . . . those who've played Socom will have an idea what I'd consider ideal . . . voice in my ear, game sounds on the speakers. Totally possible that way, since my headset registers as its own audio card. I play DDO that way, or did for a month or so.
    So, after a lot of waggling my fingers, here's my question: Any way to optimize the audio here? I seemed to have a little success cranking the game volume down, but then you lose things like hearing the knife unsheath behind you, the other team hotfooting it past your hiding place unseen, etc.
    I'd be tickled to hear there's a client mod that will let you split voice off to a second sound card, ala DDO, but unsurprised if there's not. Any suggestions would be welcome, though, as constantly asking for orders to be repeated is sort of a game breaker.

PFC Quin
    Sayid the Torturer

Re: Problematic Audio: Any Ideas?

Welcome to the forums, PFC Quin.

lol and bonus points for using the word "flarp".

Are your sound drivers up to date?
    Is there anything in the steam forums about your headset not being entirely compatable with CSS?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Yeah, Root, sound drivers are up to dizzle, and I've not seen anything about compatibility issues with the headset.
      That being said, I'm only using the headset currently for the mic, as it's only got a single speaker and the all-on-one-channel nature of the sound here means that I have a bullpup spitting in my right ear if I route the sound to that card.
      Also, by way of information, my 3 meg cable connection tests around 2.7 meg, and I run very lean on background apps, so I don't think it's a bandwidth thing, though I do ping a hefty (for cs:s) 50ish to the TG servers.
      A solution that would work, quick and dirty: Teamspeak. But I don't think it's too likely a whole community is going to start using an outside app with a game that already supports voice just to haul my newbish butt along to get fragged with 'em. So the question's still up . . . anyone else have these problems?

PFC Quin
      Sayid the Torturer

Comment

I think I've got the same headset as yours. Since I liked my headphones instead of that half a headphone on the mic, I went to the Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel and changed the sound playback to my normal audio output instead of the one headphone and voice playback to it also. For you, I think changing the voice playback, in the voice tab, to the headset might work. Hell I think I can do that right now for you to see if it works.

Comment

Hm, even with the voice playback sent to the headset it still came out my normal output. There must be someway to get just voice on the headset.

Comment

http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewto...&view=previous

This might work, I just googled this and it looks to fix the exact problem you're talking about. Of course the only difference is teamspeak, but I'm hoping it should work the same.

Comment

Yeah, Pla'/, that's what I'd have thought. And, yeah, it works fine with teamspeak. What's needed is a way to get the client itself to send the voice audio to the usb headset. Apparently the channels are discrete already, if game volume and voice volume are working seperately, as they seem to be, but there's no way to seperate the channels between two different sound cards ( because with a usb headset like this, that's what we're really talking about.)
              Apparently I'm not the only one having problems understanding the voice chat, even if I'm theonly TGer (???,) as there's a year-long thread on the steam forums begging Valve to allow players to use the Speaxx codec, which is evidently superior to the Miles codec that's built into CS:S.
              Maybe it'll amount to moving to a less craptastic set of desktop speakers, in the end. Or upgrading to a stereo headset, though it irks me not to be able to use this one, which has been serviceable through so many games and is already neatly zip-stripped into my wiring harness. The wife's gonna *love* it if I have both ears covered up, lol.

PFC Quin
              Sayid the Torturer
              Last edited by PFC Quin; 07-08-2006, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Quin
                I don't think it's a bandwidth thing, though I do ping a hefty (for cs:s) 50ish to the TG servers.
                When I had a 2MB line, my ping was 150, and no-one had an issue with my mic, and I could hear everyone fine.
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

We know the codec sucks and yeah we want something better but valve is sitting on their hands about it so far.

I dunno how to fix your problem as there is no way to change CS:S to make that work that i know of. You're best bet may be to just get a cheap headset.

- -

Comment

Well, after some fiddling, I've managed to get decent results by pushing all the sound through the headset after all. Still not the way I'd like to see it, but it works.
                    Thanks all for helping out, and if any optimizations roll into view, keep me posted . . .

PFC Quin
                    Sayid the Torturer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...