VAC Sux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAC Sux

I was playing on this pubbie tonight since the servers were empty and there were two guys on there that were openly hacking. Both had scores of like 80:3. When I would spec them they would get multiple single-shot head-shots through smoke and of course they always knew exactly where the other team was.

So my question is: What good is VAC at all? This proves without a doubt that hacking is still alive and well post-vac.

Re: VAC Sux

Clearly you don't understand how VAC2 (not VAC) works. I don't have time now, but if you haven't managed to look it up by the time I get back, I'll find you some info.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

When in doubt, wikipedia it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAC2

Originally posted by How
      VAC2's motives are often called into question due to its 'delayed ban' system. When a user connects to a secure server their system memory is scanned at any number of random points for cheats (the precise manner in which cheats are detected is secret). If a cheat is found, the player's Steam account will be flagged as cheating, but the player will not be banned nor receive any indication that they have been detected. It is only after a certain, variable delay, roughly three days for VAC1 and officially less than three weeks for VAC2, [2] that the account is banned. When this happens, the account cannot be used to play on any server that runs in secure mode. Bans are permanent for all games. VAC1 originally banned GoldSrc (Half-Life 1 engine) games for one to five years. However, with the release of Source engine games and VAC2, all bans are now permanent. For example, players that cheat in a game such as Day of Defeat, may not join any other VAC secured server in any other game, such as Counter-Strike. Any one-year bans given before VAC2 was released were 'grandfathered' in, and expired on their original expiration date.

Comment

Just think how rampant they would be WITHOUT VAC2 at all.... just be thankfull we have somthing lol even if it is delayed.
        Dizlor

Comment

Meh... I am one to agree that VAC is lacking, especially when it comes to competitive play.

There are countless loopholes that VAC doesn't check. Player models can be replaced, sound files can be removed, and players can make enhanced scripts that give them an unfair edge. VAC doesn't look for any of this.

Most CAL players (despite what they *claim*) Use Red/Blue player models, remove all ambient noise, and have complex scripts (For the record, binding ANY ONE KEY TO TWO COMMANDS is considered unfair play)

In addition, just to become a modest player one must make several LEGAL adjustments to his config. For example, when I learned the cvar to make dead players instantly fade my chances against 2 or more enemies went up tremendiously. My skill didn't change, I just changed a setting that most players don't know about. Just yesterday I learned how to make my crosshair even smaller, and my play has improved remarkably.

CS:S is not an even playing field and VAC does little to address this.

-Aaron

Comment

Well for every anti hacking move it just spawns 3 more hacks to work around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Postered
              Well for every anti hacking move it just spawns 3 more hacks to work around it.
              So, based on that logic there are 1,000+ hacks for BF2?
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

... not exactly, no one cares to hack bf2 =) But people have, EA corrected them, but yet there are still hacks out there but they are still puting out hacking countermeasures. VAC just happens to be a tad slow, but it MAY not be completely secure, but be glad there is at least some action against hackers being taken.

Comment

VAC2 deters people from hacking more by its presence on a server. You don't know when you will be caught, or when the newest hack will be figured out, and you wouldn't want to risk your account getting banned from all secure servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Acid
                    VAC2 deters people from hacking more by its presence on a server. You don't know when you will be caught, or when the newest hack will be figured out, and you wouldn't want to risk your account getting banned from all secure servers.
                    Good point, kinda like how the cheapest security package you buy from BRINKS is a sign you put out in ur front yard saying ur house is protected lol.

Comment

In my experience on the pubbies without an admin present, if you play for at least an hour, you will see someone hacking. IMHO VAC (any version) is worthless. One hacker on a pubbie I frequent has been using the same Steam ID for over two weeks while openly hacking.

I thought VAC2 actually would deter some hackers, but I see people openly hack. That opening message should read: "WARNING: This server is VAC secured. Cheating will result in a higher frag count." What makes me the angriest is that now when I'm owned by someone, I feel the need to go spec them for a while to see if they're hacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush
                        In my experience on the pubbies without an admin present, if you play for at least an hour, you will see someone hacking. IMHO VAC (any version) is worthless. One hacker on a pubbie I frequent has been using the same Steam ID for over two weeks while openly hacking.

I thought VAC2 actually would deter some hackers, but I see people openly hack. That opening message should read: "WARNING: This server is VAC secured. Cheating will result in a higher frag count." What makes me the angriest is that now when I'm owned by someone, I feel the need to go spec them for a while to see if they're hacking.
                        And thats why i dont play this game anymore.

Comment

In my time at TG, I have NEVER witnessed a hacker on our server. I heard there was one once, but he was promptly taken care of. :) PCS is like, the paradise oasis of the CSS desert of human intelligence/capability. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush

I don't understand this at all. Can you quantify how many people DON'T hack or have been banned completely due to VAC? It's not going to catch everything, but without any quantitative analysis of what it's catching vs. what it's letting go, it's pretty hard to say it "sucks". Well.... It's not hard to say it but it's quite hard for it to be anything other than conjecture based on lack of information.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, we've had < 10 cheats on the server in the 20 months I've been playing. I'd suggest that VAC2 must have some effect, and coupled with the level of admin coverage, provide the best CSS experience available without playing on a completely private server.
                              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X