Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well my rig died, so here's what I'm building...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well my rig died, so here's what I'm building...

My pc took a huge dump on me so I'm building a brand new one.

Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo
    BioStar TForce4SLI Socket 939
    2GB Kingston PC3200 DDR
    BFG Tech GeForce 7900GT 512MB X2 (SLI BABY!)
    300GB SATA HDD
    Cooler Master Centurion case with 600W Enermax power supply
    ViewSonic 19" 2ms LCD

With TF2 and FF coming out soon, I hope this system will run games for another 2 years.

Thoughts? Is it overkill? I've never seen SLI run so I'm hoping I'll have ridiculous FPS rates lol :)

Re: Well my rig died, so here's what I'm building...

Unless your playing with super high resolutions just get one 7900gt for now and upgrade to a DirectX 10 compliant card when they come out.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
      Unless your playing with super high resolutions just get one 7900gt for now and upgrade to a DirectX 10 compliant card when they come out.
      Will it be much better?

Comment

Certain Vista features will require it. SLI, from what I understand it just not worth it unless you require two of the best cards. In almost all cases there is a single card solution, which is cheaper, and performs better than SLI.

Why socket 939 rather than AM2? And, why not Intel Conroe instead of AMD?

Comment

I'm with the boys on SLI, it's throwing money away.

Ram: think about the OCZ ram, it's pretty damned sweet and while it won't save you a buck, it'll save you some cycles....

CPU - That'll blow most things outa the water, but in all honesty, waiting till christmas or late fall, might help your prices a tad.
          Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

OCZ is terrific ram, but so is G.Skill.

Comment

I went with AMD because I like AMD.

I went with 939 instead of AM2 because it was nearly half the cost and I can use existing pc3200 RAM.

I only purchased one graphics card for now so if I do SLI maybe I'll wait for the DX10 cards.

Comment

Agree on the SLI not being worth it.

AM2 is also way more expensive than it's worth atm, and 939 is still top of the line speeds.

Biostar used to be a value-brand motherboard manufacturer, but I haven't kept up with their amd64
                boards.

Not really sold on Enermax PSU. Especially lately it seems their higher-power models have been having some serious instability issues. So that's something you'll want to watch really closely when you get everything hooked up.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

AM2 processors are marginally cheaper than 939 in the UK. Perhaps if you look around more you might find something better? I'd suggest a K8N mobo if you stick with 939, or a K9N for AM2.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                    AM2 processors are marginally cheaper than 939 in the UK. Perhaps if you look around more you might find something better? I'd suggest a K8N mobo if you stick with 939, or a K9N for AM2.
                    Wow crazy.

On newegg the same processor with AM2 socket was like $420. The 939 was only $265. I wonder why they're so much cheaper in the UK?

Spyder,
                    Thanks for the heads up on the PS. I always thought Enermax was a great brand? Hope I don't have troubles as it was an extremely expensive power supply =/

Comment

Oh, and what are peoples thoughts on XP 64? Anyone using it? I've never owned a 64 bit processor before today and not sure what to expect.

Comment

Not too sure how good the biostar mobo is - you should look into abit / asus with the kinda money you are spending. Both manufacturer's have been solid performers and stable for me.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm
                          Not too sure how good the biostar mobo is - you should look into abit / asus with the kinda money you are spending. Both manufacturer's have been solid performers and stable for me.
                          Yup. I mentioned the K8N (939) and K9N (AM2) ; they're pretty much the top of ABIT's range. The only problems I've ever had with an ABIT mobo, were all self-inflicted.
                          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Personally I like the idea of a single card better. Why not get the evga 7950 GX2? single card and it had 48PP so it is the same as 2 7900.
                            Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I have 64 bit processor, runs great but I really haven't had a chance to try it out on anything 64 yet - once vista comes out (by the time you need a new comp) it should be very beneficial to have.

I tried XP64 and had problems all around with some of the dev tools I use so I stuck with regular XP - but when it was working it seemed to fly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X