LCD good for fps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD good for fps?

I have been looking at buying this viewsonic: ViewSonic: Products: Desktop Displays: LCD Displays: X Series: VX922

Right now I'm using an older LCD that I temporarily borroed and it has serious ghosting problems. I can't play CS on it because of the 'tracer' effect I get when moving around. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.

So I was hoping the 2ms viewsonic eliminates that problem, but I'd like to get feedback from people with experience using LCD's for gaming.

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

Re: LCD good for fps?

Oh Snap, that is the one I use Apex! I bought is about 3 months ago and I love it. The only thing I do not like about is that the base does not swivel, but that is really not that big of a deal.
    I checked out several other moniotors as well but this one seemed the best LCD for gaming. You will here some say that the 2ms does not always mean that it a FPS monitor, they are wrong! Add in 2- 7900 GTXs and I am boasting over 100+ FPS on maps here on TG.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

My 17" TFT has a 14ms response time, and it works absolutely fine, so the (overpriced) one you're looking at should do the job.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Anything with less than 15ms will work fine, I had a 25ms one for about 10 minutes before I raced back to the store to get a 12ms which works great.

I have 2 of these and they are excellent, I use them for graphic design daily so I was really picky about image quality:

LG L1980U Black-Silver 19" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail at Newegg.com

Comment

Originally posted by doorway 27 View Post
          Anything with less than 15ms will work fine, I had a 25ms one for about 10 minutes before I raced back to the store to get a 12ms which works great.

I have 2 of these and they are excellent, I use them for graphic design daily so I was really picky about image quality:

LG L1980U Black-Silver 19" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail at Newegg.com
          I thought it was anything below 8?

I use my stupid laptop...but there are 17" flat screens at target for 160 bucks...clearance

Comment

Well, the monitor I'm using now is 16ms and the ghosting is TERRIBLE. Like I said, it's so bad that it makes me naseous. I went from a CRT to this and the difference is huge. I'd like to go to LCD if there's no ghosting.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

No ghosting on that model with mine. Here are allot reviews from NewEgg that discuss all of your concerns. Plus it is a whole lot cheaper there.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I have 2 12ms and they both have no ghosting, maybe go 8 to be sure but 2 is probably not necessary and will just cost you more $$

Comment

Couple of things here guys, you will not be able to see, nor take advantage of anything below 16-18ms on a LCD unless you are using a DVI cable and capable video card.

That being said, different companies rate their monitors differently. What you are looking for is Refresh Rate in milliseconds (ms) on white-black-white. That is the true rate (some companies will give you red-black-red, or even white-grey-white, for instance, because their particular equipment might switch faster to those colors than others.)

Once you have a panel you are happy with speed wise, you then need to go for the highest contrast ratio you can get. Especially for gaming. For instance in CS, if youre monitor has a poor contrast ratio, when you are sighting up a OpFor on the other side of the map, if they are in a house, behind a window, etc, it is very possible that you will not see them (or see them well.) This is where the CRT is a bit better than the low-end to average LCD. The blackness of the shadows on a lower end LCD will look grey, and have very little depth to it.

Of course, in recent years the contrast ratios have sky rocketed and the LCDs are getting better and better.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

(And btw, I run a Samsung SyncMaster 914v with a DVI cable hooked to a BFG 6800 GT OC, I get very respectable framerates at 1280x1024.)

** I almost forgot, if you are switching over to a LCD, make sure your video card is good enough to push it in its native resolution. Otherwise, you will be very upset with the picture quality.
                  If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                  with any questions or concerns.
                  |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by ouija View Post
                    Couple of things here guys, you will not be able to see, nor take advantage of anything below 16-18ms on a LCD unless you are using a DVI cable and capable video card.

That being said, different companies rate their monitors differently. What you are looking for is Refresh Rate in milliseconds (ms) on white-black-white. That is the true rate (some companies will give you red-black-red, or even white-grey-white, for instance, because their particular equipment might switch faster to those colors than others.)

Once you have a panel you are happy with speed wise, you then need to go for the highest contrast ratio you can get. Especially for gaming. For instance in CS, if youre monitor has a poor contrast ratio, when you are sighting up a OpFor on the other side of the map, if they are in a house, behind a window, etc, it is very possible that you will not see them (or see them well.) This is where the CRT is a bit better than the low-end to average LCD. The blackness of the shadows on a lower end LCD will look grey, and have very little depth to it.

Of course, in recent years the contrast ratios have sky rocketed and the LCDs are getting better and better.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

(And btw, I run a Samsung SyncMaster 914v with a DVI cable hooked to a BFG 6800 GT OC, I get very respectable framerates at 1280x1024.)

** I almost forgot, if you are switching over to a LCD, make sure your video card is good enough to push it in its native resolution. Otherwise, you will be very upset with the picture quality.
                    Thanks, Ouja. I have a 7900GT with 512MB. I think it should be fine?

Thanks!

Comment

I run dual Samsungs. My primary is the SyncMaster 930a and the other is the 913t. I run all my games on high and have no problems at all.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Apex View Post
                        Thanks, Ouja. I have a 7900GT with 512MB. I think it should be fine?

Thanks!

7900GT should push just about any game on the current market to stellar performance at 1280X1024. Resolutions higher than that are going to depend on the game.
                        If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                        with any questions or concerns.
                        |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X