New radar is out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New radar is out!

It's pretty sweet! Let's update the server and play!

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Re: New radar is out!

I have had a chance to use the new radar. It showes trace routes so we can see if someone went thru a spawn point etc. Also gives and indication where bomb has fallen and identifies your teammates with color dots opposite from the enemies. It is going to take some getting used to as it is basically an overhead of the map. Sorta like overhead spectator view.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed.
    Sir Winston Churchill
    British politician (1874 - 1965)

Comment

not a big fan of the new hud or radar....very disappointing if you ask me, bu heck I am always down to play anyways though...I was gettin worried, couldn't figure out why I couldn;t get in the server kept reading Disconnect: Server uses different class tables but now with what you said now I know why guess srever has to be updated.. well anyrate xfire me and join me on a server till ours gets updated Rookie3 is my xfire name
      PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

yeah its nice. kinda wierd though. gonna take some getting used to =)
        " Logic always prevails...now where are my pants?"

Comment

Having the bombsites labelled will make it so much easier for us to guide new players. We approve.
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

It is definitely going to be nice for new players and for seasoned players on new maps. It's very frustrating to not be able to find the rescue points. I really like the fact that it works in spec mode. No more zooming around the map after you die to locate the bomb and watch it.

One of the things I don't like about it is that it shows the X where your last teammate died. One of my secrets used to be that I kept a careful eye on the radar so when a teammate fell off I knew where he had been. Any player not tracking all of their teammates did not have this info. Now, with the new kill X, anyone can tell exactly where their teammate died. It's a small tactical advantage I used to have. I'll be interested to see how it affects my game play.

Has anyone noticed increased lag since the new update?

Comment

I like it, makes it more tactical since enemies you spot will be relayed to the teammates, when your teammates die, etc, you will know in which direction the enemy is. Plus the bomb site letters are great, I always forget if its A or B ;).

Comment

One of my favorite features: if you look at the bomb down (and you're a CT), it pings the radar so the rest of your team can see it. I'm not sure exactly about my thoughts regarding enemies visible on the radar, though. But it's certainly a beauty, overall. Especially on stock maps. Very useful, very pretty...

Comment

Yes, as poe said very pretty. Still, I worry about some of the new features. For instance, while the ping feature for a "bomb down" is nice it doesn't stay up. In fact yesterday, I became horribly confused when the bomb down suddenly disappeared from my radar. Being used to the old system, I simply figured this meant it was picked up by a Terrorist. Well after much running around to stop this ghost Terrorist from getting to a bomb site, I swept back to the still downed bomb, only to be shot by a fellow CT. All in all, I think the radar is a little distracting, and it eliminates any advantage of knowing the map.
                  But then again, once I get used to it there could be several tactical advantages I see... I am interested to see if baiting takes a new role in tactics ie. getting caught on the enemies radar so they try to control that route only sneak around to the other bombsite. Only time will tell...

Comment

I would say you still have to know the map since the radar offers a very limited perspective of the map (only the nearby surroundings) and it's especially helpless in places with multiple floors such as piranesi (is the enemy on the roof, the middle, or the double doors?). The way I think about it, modern real-life CTs probably have little mini-radars anyways and so it would make sense that they could call out where the enemy is.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown1 View Post
                      I would say you still have to know the map since the radar offers a very limited perspective of the map (only the nearby surroundings) and it's especially helpless in places with multiple floors such as piranesi (is the enemy on the roof, the middle, or the double doors?). The way I think about it, modern real-life CTs probably have little mini-radars anyways and so it would make sense that they could call out where the enemy is.
                      Well, if anyone has anything against that... we have a lot of custom maps, so that won't be an issue! Custom maps don't have an overhead display on the radar (sadface)

Comment

New Radar is garbage

IMO, any radar that allows me to see the enemy, even when i do not have direct line of sight, is a waste of space on my screen. Ok, Yes, it is fun to cheat a bit and see the enemy when you shouldnt but doesnt this go against what we do here?

All I ask for is communication

Comment

Re: New Radar is garbage

I agree about the enemy location. But there is no way of going back to the old radar. Maybe if enough people dislike it Valve will make which version you use your choice. One could hope anyway.

Comment

I'm in complete agreement with ben on this one. While the new radar has its pros, it also has its cons. First of all, the ability to see where an enemy is simply because that enemy shoots, is not very tactical, you should have to listen for the enemy, not see his exact position on the map. But with the negatives aside, this radar has many improvements. It cuts down on the tk's, if the team watches their map for friendly positions. Another benefit is when someone talks, their blue or red dot will be highlighted, so if someone yells "I need back up" you know exactly where they are, even if they don't say it. If there was some way to make enemies invisible on the map, but keep everything else, than it would be a fantastic tactical radar.

Comment

on the old radar you could also see a highlight when someone speaks or throws nades ( i think...)

All I ask for is communication

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X