FPSs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPSs

Ok, so I was a little bored today and decided to tweak my video cards. With the combination of the NVIDIA beta drivers and some overclocking I was able to really get some serious performance increases.
    Now for everything good comes some thing bad, I was able to sustain over 220 FPS on most maps, but I have this annoying distortion on my screen. Has anybody messed around and seen anything like the errors?

Last edited by TheBigC; 09-01-2006, 07:26 PM.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: FPSs

What card are you using?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

It seems you're using an NVIDIA dual-card SLi solution.

Try this;

1. Open the NVIDIA control panel
      2. Select the "SLI multi-GPU" tab
      3. Uncheck the "Show GPU load balancing" box
      4. Click "OK"

Comment

Mad props to Paperchase!! that worked perfectly. The only thing weird was that I have always had that box checked and never saw it until the new drivers.

Thanks Again!!
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Can anyone recommend a decent nvidia APG card? I spent most of my time playing source games.
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Root, not sure in the 7xxx series cards are available in AGP, but I am running a BFG 6800 GT OC here (256MB RAM) and it runs most everything extremely well at 1280x1024.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150157

Is an equivalent...the prices have come WAY down...when I got mine it was close to $400.

It is a night and day difference from the ATI 9800 PRO that I had been running. (Course, it should be, twice the pipelines)
            If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
            with any questions or concerns.
            |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Thanks Ouija. Unfortunately, finding a 256MB 6800XT in the UK is like finding tropical fish in the arctic. :(

Is 8 pipelines really enough?
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

i think the coolest card out there right now is the 7950gx2. it has 2 GPUs in one for a "reasonable" price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125035
                pretty soon they are suppose to come out with more like it but dx10 and shader 4.0. things just keep getting better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                  Thanks Ouija. Unfortunately, finding a 256MB 6800XT in the UK is like finding tropical fish in the arctic. :(

Is 8 pipelines really enough?
                  Sorry about that Root, I just realized that I linked an XT card. I would stay with at least a GT/Ultra (nvidia line) or x800/x850 (ATI line.)

Truthfully, to be able to run any of the newer generation games, like Prey and BF2142 Id say you almost must have 16 pipelines (6800GT, 6800 Ultra, 800XT, 850XT) and of course for better performance the newer bunch of cards, the 7900 series, etc are 20-24 pipes.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Anyone spending 500+ for a video card today is about brain dead, or have more money than they know what to do with. The DX10 stuff will be hitting the shelves soon enough, and the prices on those DX9 cards are going to nose dive.
                  If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                  with any questions or concerns.
                  |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                    Mad props to Paperchase!! that worked perfectly. The only thing weird was that I have always had that box checked and never saw it until the new drivers.

Thanks Again!!

It may be helpful if you told the rest of us what drivers gave you such a good performance increase, so that the rest of us can test them out.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Does anyone have any comments on the new Intel core 2 duo. it is supposely WAY(40% faster and 40% less energy) faster then the old pentiums and faster then anything AMD has. i think AMD is coming out with something new pretty soon though.
                      http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/...est/page6.html
                      it looks pretty good, but not anything amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey101 View Post
                        Does anyone have any comments on the new Intel core 2 duo. it is supposely WAY(40% faster and 40% less energy) faster then the old pentiums and faster then anything AMD has. i think AMD is coming out with something new pretty soon though.
                        http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/...est/page6.html
                        it looks pretty good, but not anything amazing.
                        There's probably discussion on this in the hardware / software forum.
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Well, I have an ATI X800GTO, and it runs CS:S well on max settings, and it runs BF2 fairly descent on mid settings, and it was only like 90 bucks!!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131007

Comment

idk i have this built in bias against ati. i like nvidia alot more, but that sounds like a really good deal. i got a 6600 gt(128mb) for around 100 a year ago and that looks ALOT better then mine.

Comment

I had a 256mb BFG 6800GT agp card and it worked great! I avg about 75 fps on most maps. My problem was my mainboard sucked heh.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X