Vista RC1 - Don't do it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista RC1 - Don't do it!

My ever present need to mess with stuff has caused me great anguish over the last 12 hours.

Vista RC1... I've got plenty of room on that big ole extra partition, why not?

Here's why:

1. Dual Boot XP and Vista is almost impossible (completely for me)
    Vista killed my boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com
    which makes it impossible for me to get into my old XP without going through some major troubles

2. Slower - this is a no brainer - more bells and Whistlers = slower

3. FPS down the tubes for nvidia cards at least, lost 90 FPS on Dust2
    So much for a gaming platform, I know it's onlt RC1 but NVidia has drivers out and they are worse than the default drivers that come with Vista

4. Look at number 1

Anyways I thought I would try to warn anyone who tries to do a dual boot -becareful, while I am not a total expert I know more than most and this has been a major bitch.

Re: Vista RC1 - Don't do it!

Are we able to download it now??

I use a seperate HD for it so if it completely screws it up I'll be okay :).
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

RC1 is great. I've had vista installed since beta2, now that was really slow, and laggy compared to RC1. I installed a partition, and have not had one problem. It did modify my boot.ini, but to a much nicer one than XP's default boot.ini

Mine says

"boot into older version of windows"
      "boot into to vista"

Not in exact words, but those are the two options for me, and thats it. Simple.

Comment

How are your frame rates? What vid card do you have?

I was really mostly bummed because it killed my ability to go back into my old XP.

I guess maybe installing to the same hard drive, different partition was a bad move on my part.

Comment

I don't run games on it. Just playing with it right now. Like I said, I installed mine on the same harddrive as XP, and no problems with conflict what so ever.

Comment

If you guys want to give vista a try without any consequences, install it on a virtual PC. I did it to quench my curiosity... and I soon realized its not worth my time.

Virtual PC 2004: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
            Instructions: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...tualpc2004.htm

If you run into the following error, make sure you set the virtual HD to 16GB or larger: "Setup was unable to locate a locally attached hard drive suitable for holding temporary Setup files." <--- this may not be applicable to RC1, but was for Beta2
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by doorway 27 View Post
              My ever present need to mess with stuff has caused me great anguish over the last 12 hours.

Vista RC1... I've got plenty of room on that big ole extra partition, why not?

Here's why:

1. Dual Boot XP and Vista is almost impossible (completely for me)
              Vista killed my boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com
              which makes it impossible for me to get into my old XP without going through some major troubles

2. Slower - this is a no brainer - more bells and Whistlers = slower

3. FPS down the tubes for nvidia cards at least, lost 90 FPS on Dust2
              So much for a gaming platform, I know it's onlt RC1 but NVidia has drivers out and they are worse than the default drivers that come with Vista

4. Look at number 1

Anyways I thought I would try to warn anyone who tries to do a dual boot -becareful, while I am not a total expert I know more than most and this has been a major bitch.

I agree. Vista is no good. It needs a LOT of polishing.

Comment

I played with it via the beta and I was not grooving it at all. I also tried the Office program and that totally tanked my machine. I thad allot of "neat" features bothe the OS and Office, but nithing ou there says it is that revolutionary for the way I us emy system, gaming.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X