Supply and Demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply and Demand

We're finally ready to talk in more specific terms about the coming changes to Counter-Strike weapon prices.

Most of the weapons and equipment in Counter-Strike still have the same prices today as they did when the game was first released. We at Valve know we're not alone in thinking that some of the prices in the game have never been exactly what they should be. (Uh, night-vision?) But rather than tweaking the values ourselves, we thought we'd let you decide. Coming soon in Counter-Strike: Source is a new system that sets the prices of what you can buy based on, well, what people are buying. This means that each week all of the items in Counter-Strike will have different prices based on what people purchase. We've setup a webpage with more information on how it works, including what the prices will be when we turn this feature on.
    An interesting change in Counterstrike that could result in people trying out other guns once in a while and discover new uses for the guns (do I smell a blackmarket crash?).

Re: Supply and Demand

Link to statistics: http://www.steampowered.com/stats/csmarket/

Link to explanation: http://www.steampowered.com/stats/cs...algorithm.html

But is this actually enacted already? And can it be turned off with a CVAR for clan matches? I hope having cheaper worse weapons will enable losing teams to come back against winning teams with more expensive better weapons.

I wonder why they aren't making a CS2 instead of slightly tweaking CS:S and making lots of original CS gamers angry?

Comment

I like this. Overall, I think, it will encourage players to be more versatile, and the fluctuating prices will remain close to what they are normally. Probably.

As for PCS? Personally I think it will be a great addition. Like I said, it will help people use different weapons more often, try things out, and maybe help more people buy guns according to their team's mission/plan, instead of their favorite gun (ie m4/ak, as prices will be above-normal). Even deagle, as the prices are rising... maybe CTs will move more towards silenced weapons? :D

Comment

Yay for TMP :D.

Comment

This is crap. As you notice all the frag money weapons like the AWP and sniper are going down, but the main staple of the skilled players Colt, AK, Deagle and armor go up. Another thing this will do is constantly cause updating to the clents/server which is always a bad thing. I also see this being a really bad idea for people like me that have binds based on each round. Now I will have to waste time at the begining of each round to see which weapon I can afford, versus using the time for planning.
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Overall, this isn't something that I think will benefit us. The only exception to that, is Poes point about versitility. Even that isn't much of a point, because I've killed some of you with a glock before, so anyone can.

Fixed pricing allows for more detailed planning, especially in matches. I really hope there's a CVAR to disable this on the server.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Right when I heard about this initial tweak, I thought they were gonna do something like this. But, I thought it would be just based on people on the server, not the CS:S community as a whole. That part throws me off. Still, I'm interested to see it work.

Some main problems with this lie in the Kevlar ("assault suit"). The first thing you hear during buy time (after all your team died) is the zipping up of a suit, and probably helmet too. So, the projected $104 increase might be optimistic (or pessimistic from the seller's standpoint). However, Kevlar w/o helmet is projected to drop, but I can say from experience that w/o said helmet any round to the head is mostly lethal.

Another problem with this, even though Valve thinks it's good on them to give power to the people, it doesn't make sense (for us at least). TG's player base wouldn't be caught dead on a fy_ map, 24/7 anything server, and would probably find it most frustrating on most any other server. So why is it fair to have its gameplay affected by them? Why is it good for them to be affected by people like PCS-P? And after a few weeks the prices changes I'm sure will be much different.

What I think would be a better idea would be if 1 player on your team buys an AK, the price goes down (~$50?). I mean, all these guys, being on the same team, probably get from the same arms dealer, right? It's common practice for dealers to lower prices on bulk purchases.

Comment

Panic over. There WILL be a CVAR, and we'll be disabling dynamic pricing on our server.
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                  Panic over. There WILL be a CVAR, and we'll be disabling dynamic pricing on our server.
                  That's too bad. I was thinking about giving up The Hidden to play CS for a while to try this out. It sounds intriguing...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    That's too bad. I was thinking about giving up The Hidden to play CS for a while to try this out. It sounds intriguing...
                    I don't imagine that receiving the weekly price updates will be optional. There's no reason why SM's can't request dynamic pricing for private sessions.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                      I don't imagine that receiving the weekly price updates will be optional. There's no reason why SM's can't request dynamic pricing for private sessions.
                      why dont we just give it a try for the normal server? seems like the majority of people want to see this in action....dont make them go to other servers to see what its like...

Comment

Originally posted by section-8 View Post
                        why dont we just give it a try for the normal server? seems like the majority of people want to see this in action....dont make them go to other servers to see what its like...
                        Can we put it to a vote?

X week trial of the new system? I thought it was majority rules? Even if it is just a SM/Admin vote.
                        Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                          I thought it was majority rules?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

*gasp*

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

*gasp*

lol.

Comment

Originally posted by section-8 View Post
                            Up to and including your post, there are 3 people in this thread asking for dynamic pricing to be turned on. I can prove mathematically, that this is not the majority. Observe :

Number of PCS admins : 9
                            Number of members requesting dynamic pricing : 3

9-3=6

You see how I didn't even need to add in the number of temp admins, and PCS Provens to defeat your statement? To be fair, at least I didn't use your own post to sum up my response, otherwise I'd have had to included :

Originally posted by section-8
                            LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
                            ;)

I direct you to Apophis' post re : decisions made by the majority, and to my earlier post re : turning dynamic pricing on during private SM sessions.
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

=P I thought the prices were gonna go up like AK's and M4's cost like 6000 cause everybody uses them and you can buy P228 compak for like a dollar =P guess I was wrong
                              0-<-<
                              ( + [ ] :: )

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...