Game lag, not internet lag.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game lag, not internet lag.

One thing I've been having troubles with is game lag in a couple situations.

One in particular is quite noticeable on CS_Militia. And I think I've figured it out. It's the damn trees!!!! Those trees with their hundreds of orange leaves!!! Evertime I get near them, which is most of outside, or look at them, kabam, it's a slideshow. I turned off HDR and it's still too intense so I think it must be too much information to process from all those damn vertices. Any suggestions? I have a decent comp 2.6gig intel, 1g 800mhz ram, 6600GT vid, and I'm not ready to go spend 700 bucks upgrading.

Another situation I've noticed, to a lesser exent, has to do with sound. Sometimes the first time a get into a gunfight, I inconveniently lag for a split second. My guess is it has to do with sound loads. Anyone else get this? Is there a way to pre-cache sounds?

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Re: Game lag, not internet lag.

I would hit the usual culprits first. Try upgrading your video and audio drivers. If you've got the latest video drivers, try downgrading a version and see if that helps. Sometimes the latest drivers cause more problems than they resolve in certain games. They could be great for BF2, but lousy for CS Source.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
      One thing I've been having troubles with is game lag in a couple situations.

One in particular is quite noticeable on CS_Militia. And I think I've figured it out. It's the damn trees!!!! Those trees with their hundreds of orange leaves!!! Evertime I get near them, which is most of outside, or look at them, kabam, it's a slideshow. I turned off HDR and it's still too intense so I think it must be too much information to process from all those damn vertices. Any suggestions? I have a decent comp 2.6gig intel, 1g 800mhz ram, 6600GT vid, and I'm not ready to go spend 700 bucks upgrading.

Another situation I've noticed, to a lesser exent, has to do with sound. Sometimes the first time a get into a gunfight, I inconveniently lag for a split second. My guess is it has to do with sound loads. Anyone else get this? Is there a way to pre-cache sounds?

actually militia was a problem the other night. All the doors opened slowly and it lagged really bad. I did all the above and still the same problem. many others are having the same issue with some of the maps as well
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Try this by creating a server and loading up the level. IF you don't recieve lag then it's the server your playing on. I suspect that it is your graphical lag though and if you've done that, then try setting model detail to low and see if that makes a difference.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
          Try this by creating a server and loading up the level. IF you don't recieve lag then it's the server your playing on. I suspect that it is your graphical lag though and if you've done that, then try setting model detail to low and see if that makes a difference.
          This isn't necessarily true. There are a LOT of variables between the client and server in your average Internet connection. Routers, switches, backbones, etc. Pinning it purely on the server is kind of like saying that WalMart is crowded because it's taking you an hour and a half to get there because of a traffic jam on the highway.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Once you've eliminated your PC as the culprit, please see the sticky on lag.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

True apo, I didn't really mean the server, it could be just net lag. Point being to narrow it down to system vs network.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X