Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPL to begin Drug Testing Pro-Gamers.

Full article

Personally I'm a little suprised... of all the issues to address concerning fair online play I am curious why they picked THIS one.

The article specificly addressed crystal meth as being a drug they will screen for. I don't want to diminish the very serious problem crystal meth is... but, are they friggin' seroius?? Is there a high percentage of online gamers that ACTUALLY USE CRYSTAL METH to boost their play?

Drug testing won't be used across the board, instead the potential chance that one might be tested is supposed to be a deterrent. To me it seems that the physical state of a player is unrelated to his play, as most FPS are an e-sport that has little to do with one's physical condition. Will CPL find marijuana to disqualify a contestant? caffeine? The article leads me to beleive yes to the former and no to the latter, but why? This feels more reactionary than actually addressing the issue. Marijuana is illegal, would give no edge, and isn't allowed. Caffeine is legal, yet could (not in MY oppinion) enhance gameplay, but IS allowed. This just isn't logically consistant...

Well, enough of my rambling... what do you guys think?

-Aaron

Re: CPL to begin Drug Testing Pro-Gamers.

Here's how I see it:

Most people get all excited that they are in CAL. They seem to forget that the "A" stands for amateur.

With the CPL, we're talking professional gamers. Professional meaning that competing in these events IS their professional career. In many events there are rather large cash prizes on the line. I'm not surprised they're taking this step with the CPL.

They probably won't kick you out for marijuana, they'll just let you continue sleeping on the keyboard while the other team finishes kicking your arse. :)
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
      They probably won't kick you out for marijuana, they'll just let you continue sleeping on the keyboard while the other team finishes kicking your arse. :)
      I think that's probobly my biggest problem with the testing... I see no benefits from taking ANY drug prior to play. Show me a study of a drug that dramaticly improves hand eye coordination and i'll concede. FPS game require incredibly precise hand movements: that is the skill that seperates the good players from the bad.

The whole thing just feels like an extension of the "war on drugs." That itself is a debate for another thread (please, no hijacks here!)

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by What Is Schwa? View Post
        I think that's probobly my biggest problem with the testing... I see no benefits from taking ANY drug prior to play. Show me a study of a drug that dramaticly improves hand eye coordination and i'll concede. FPS game require incredibly precise hand movements: that is the skill that seperates the good players from the bad.

The whole thing just feels like an extension of the "war on drugs." That itself is a debate for another thread (please, no hijacks here!)

-Aaron
        I can't show you a study, but I would offer up prescription (or non-prescription, for that matter) amphetamines as something that most certainly could improve gaming performance.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Show me a study of a drug that dramaticly improves hand eye coordination and i'll concede.
          One drug stands out in my mind...one that I know, in some cases, can dramatically improve hand-eye coordination.

Cocaine.

No studies to back it up, but from what I've seen...stellar enhancment drug.

I've also heard from gamers who smoke pot that it sometimes is what it takes to put someone "in the zone." I know that when I'm "in the zone" I find I play much much better.
          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
            I've also heard from gamers who smoke pot that it sometimes is what it takes to put someone "in the zone." I know that when I'm "in the zone" I find I play much much better.
            Scientifically proven by the .420 group. WooT!!
            PSN= Lethal_420

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
              One drug stands out in my mind...one that I know, in some cases, can dramatically improve hand-eye coordination.

Cocaine.

No studies to back it up, but from what I've seen...stellar enhancment drug.
              I know this isn't a debate forum, but the fact that you don't have studies to back up your assertion makes for a weak argument. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that when a professional league is concerned rules shouldn't be made based on the whims of those running it.

You say Cocaine increases game performance, I say nicotine increases game performance (which actually does have studies that prove increased cognitive thought and memory abilities). Why is one considered unfair while the other is not, especially when no formal studies have been conducted??

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                I can't show you a study, but I would offer up prescription (or non-prescription, for that matter) amphetamines as something that most certainly could improve gaming performance.
                How so? My understanding of amphetamines is that when we are stressed or under threat, the central nervous system prepares us for physical action by creating particular physiological changes. Amphetamines prompt the brain to initiate this ‘fight or flight’ response. These changes include:

*The release of adrenalin and other stress hormones
                *Increased heart rate and blood pressure
                *Redirected blood flow into the muscles and away from the gut.

I would certainly agree that those responses would help someone in a street fight. However, when faced with the task of carefully manipulating a small object, such as a mouse, the user is actually at a disadvantage.

Caffiene, a stimulant, also has the effect of higher blood pressure. I'm certain most of us can relate to having drank too much coffee. The "jittery hands" is an effect of high blood pressure. Does this actually help people manipulate a mouse more effectly? I certainly don't think so.

-Aaron

Comment

I know this isn't a debate forum, but the fact that you don't have studies to back up your assertion makes for a weak argument. I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying that when a professional league is concerned rules shouldn't be made based on the whims of those running it.

You say Cocaine increases game performance, I say nicotine increases game performance (which actually does have studies that prove increased cognitive thought and memory abilities). Why is one considered unfair while the other is not, especially when no formal studies have been conducted??

-Aaron
                  I agree with you completely that if they're going to do something like this, it would be better for them to show how it enhances performance with some hard facts. But I doubt they will...I'm with you in thinking it's just another extension of the war on drugs.

Pretty lame IMO.
                  | | |

Comment

If any body was to take something during gameplay it might as well be chocolate. Chocolate has Caffeine, which is what Cocaine essentially is I believe, but to guard against the "jittery-hands" effect it also widens your blood vessels and helps promote endorphin production.

Chocolate is legal, unless I've been out of it and a law was passed in my absence, and it has benefits.

I do think that the CPL should just take a firm stance against all drugs, but screening might just be a waste of time. Don't know what they do about cigarettes :(

-Sirusblk

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                      Chocolate has Caffeine, which is what Cocaine essentially is I believe
                      Woah there fella, you might want to look into that a little more closely.

Caffeine != Cocaine
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I can see how meth would increase your gameplay. I've never experienced but this one time I *may* have toked up before playing, and even though I couldn't follow the most basic plans I *may* have been 10-2 with the galil. Another hypothetical happened last night when I came on drunk....couldn't play at all. So, ya gotta be careful which drugs you *may* be doing.

It would be a real bummer to become a "pro gamer", and get booted for failing a test. Now you have no life, no job, no money, and are addicted to meth. GG

Comment

Originally posted by HairyNevus View Post
                          Now you have no life, no job, no money, and are addicted to meth. GG
                          I hate to be the guy that quotes other people's posts for no reason other than to draw further attention to 'em, but dude, it simply has to be repeated.

Reminds me of that family guy bit:

"Want a peice of gum?"
                          "Sure, thanks!"
                          "Haha, that was trick gum!"
                          "It tasted fine to me..."
                          "It was laced with heroin, haha, you're addicted to heroin!"

-Aaron

Comment

Am I the only one who cares less? Do you really think that if the MLB and NFL cannot enforce it, the CPL can? Secondly, CSS is not WoW where you have to stay up for days on end to level up, a round lasts no more than 5 minutes than you can leave. Another thing to consider, most drugs used are stimulants, they are detrimental to playing CSS, could you imagine your crosshairs on meth? The flip side of that is the users that take depressants or relaxants, well let’s say the occasional beer. OMG are they fun to slay after they had a few beers, their reaction times are way slow.
                            As for the claims in the article (and the follow on one) of people whining about RedBull, forget them, caffeine is legal so too bad!! Get some skill…
                            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I get migranes, and the drug my doc has me on is Tramadol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol . It effects me by giving me much sharper hearing, I can see better, and move my hands smoother/faster. This has noticible effects on my gameplay when I have taken it to cure a migrane vs nights where I don't have a migraine. It also makes me mentaly jittery, and I tend to babble. I can see how taking this a couple hours before playing would boost my gameplay. It wouldn't work for everyone, tramadol for instance puts my wife to sleep within 20 mins of taking it heh, so everyone is different.

Now speaking on the fact about illegal drugs most of the positives you gain would be negated by the harsh negatives. I have known people who use meth, and coke, and they don't think as clearly, aren't very coherant so on and so fourth, but they would be great at gungame.
                              Last edited by Greflin; 12-08-2006, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X