Valve Sells Out -- CS to get in game adverts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Sells Out -- CS to get in game adverts

Well, the only silver lining here is that CS1.6 will be the first to get served the ad's.

http://csnation.net/articles.php/interview_231/1/

Question is, how will we be able to stop it on our servers?
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Valve Sells Out -- CS to get in game adverts

Saw that the other day. What crap... I guess this is no differnet than doing in movies like they have been doing for years.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I'm just surpised it took them this long.

While I find a few aspects of the adverts annoying and perhaps questionable, i'm ESPECIALLY irritated that the people who PAY to host their server are forced to run the adverts. The article addresses this point and receives no reply.

No one should have to pay someone else to let them advertise their product, and that is what will happen to those incredibly kind folks running servers.

-Aaron

Comment

I'd be totally for the ads if it was optional and if they offered free hosting for those willing to do it. But I REALLY doubt that's the case. There's been in-game advertising for a while with Tony Hawk as an example. It's annoying that you have to pay for the game and then get ads forced on you. I expect this from the greedy goons at EA, but certainly not Valve.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

There won't be a way to turn this "feature" off. I read most of the interview on CSNation, and all I could really see in Doug Lombardi's answers was "it is the will of ALL chinese people....." for example :

Doug Lombardi: We believe that gamers are going to expect and accept well-done advertising in games.
          That's right Mr Lombardi. I expect adverts in the game. What I don't expect, is you and your people to fix the hostage AI, which has NEVER worked.

Given the way that valve have systematically trashed CS:S, refuse to participate in their own forum to answer questions, and give the impression of not caring in the slightest what the community at large thinks or wants, THIS was a gem :

Doug Lombardi: Valve places tremendous value in its customer relationships. We wouldn’t ship anything to customers that we would not run ourselves.
          If anyone's interested in participating in the steam forum discussion, here's the link.
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

as long as the adds dont pop up while im unloading on someone and dont bother my game play at all.. i.e. more lag. ... then i dont care..

i normally get up in between maps and while im joining the server.. if thats where they put the adds then i may not even notice them.. but lets hope it crashes 1.6 and scares them away from trying it w/ cs:s..

Comment

It would be nice if the ad revenue actually went to the map maker, then the guys who spend 100's of hours making the maps we like for free could reap some benefit other than adoration - I'm sure that would never happen though.

Pretty soon they take the fast forward out of your DVR...

Comment

Couldn't we block the IP the ad is coming from, since it will be on IGN's server?

I cannot help but think their rep knows adding advertisements is a shady move, and is cognizant that gamers do not expect ads. If anything, people who run the servers should be making money off the advertisements. They are the ones forking over the dough to keep servers up. I noticed that question went unanswered.

I bet blocking the ads will ban your steam account for 'hacking' or something ridiculous.

Comment

yea i think the ads should pay for the servers and the servers should choose wether they have ads or not.. just like tv. you have to pay for an ad spot.. and its billions on super bowl sunday...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamburglar View Post
                    Couldn't we block the IP the ad is coming from, since it will be on IGN's server?
                    Hopefully Mani, Mattie, Beetle and others will be looking at solutions like that.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

With the amount of l33t DLL hackery we've seen from the server mod community, expect the in-game ads to be cracked within days of release.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown1 View Post
                        With the amount of l33t DLL hackery we've seen from the server mod community, expect the in-game ads to be cracked within days of release.
                        That's a hell of an assumption, given that we have no idea how the adverts are going to be implemented on a technical level.
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I'm not even a dll hacker like the server side guys, but as we learned from BF2142 ads:

a) if the client talks to the ad servers, block the servers (by changing the hosts files, or by blocking an ip list)
                          b) if the server talks to the ad servers, the server blocks the ad servers [via iptables or against hosts]

If valve wants to be annoying and serve the ads through the same mechanism that servers subscribe to the global server list or VAC, then it would be a little harder to block. But I have faith.

They already have scanners for all the functions in a DLL, just a matter of figuring out which one is ServeAds() when the new DLLs come out :).

I am of course being really optimistic, but judging from the amount of bugs valve still hasn't fixed, I don't expect their coding job to be top-notch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X